Has anyone ever had steroid epidural for pain control?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chris3, Jun 11, 2012.

1. chris3

chris3 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am going to talk to my doctor about getting a steroid epidural done for pain control. I have researched this and people with fibro are finding it life changing..
    Any thoughts, concerns, ideas to share?

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You can check out the research library at the top of the page. You can
    also search for "epidurals" in the search window, upper right. At lot of
    posts will come up.

I used to read reports dealing with folks who had epidurals. The
    results varied greatly. One of my coworkers had them and the results
    were positive, but there is always a risk.

Good luck
  3. Nikki

Nikki Member

Hi Chris,
    Before I was Dx'd with fibro, I had a series (3) of injections that worked like magic for my lower back.

Fast forward a whole buncha years (I was 55 when dx'd w/fibro . . . I'm now almost 67), and the injections helped for a while. I've had quite a lot of steriod injections during the past 7 yrs . . . mostly in my hips. I know steriods aren't suppose to be good for you, but it was either be bedridden or take injections.

The injections were always a last resort. I did regular exercise, then physical therapy, massage therapy, chiropractor, vitamins, herbs, supplements, you name it, I did it.

Then I went back to the ESI's. 3 sets of (3) during the last 3 yrs. The last set did not work at all, and I ended up having back surgery 7 weeks ago . . . titanium rods, screws, cages, with laminectomy. I had a great neurosurgeon (anybody working on your spine (I think) needs to be a neurosurgeon . . . too dangerous otherwise (for me that is . . . I know people have gotten good results with spine drs., but . . . ) The bone that was removed from my spine was mixed with man-made bone and replaced in the cage and between my vertabrea (L3/L4 & L4/L5).

Well, that's probably more than you need to know. As always, back surgery is the absolute last resort; but, right now, I wish I had done this sooner. I'm just 7 weeks out, and I felt better about 2 weeks out than I had before my surgery . . . I was unable to walk.

My rheumy says my fibro is severe, but I believe my back caused a whole lot of my pain towards the end. You really don't realize how much pain you're in until some of it lets up.

My story might change tomorrow, who knows; but, for now I have no regrets re: ESI's or the surgery.

Oh, yeah, back to the ESI's . . . I've had different drs. do these, and they all seem to do them differently. Some better than others. Ask around if you decide to get it done. Folks who've had it done seem to be more reliable in their recommendations then the drs. who recommend them.

Of course, talk to your dr. as with any other serious thing you have done. I have had good insurance thru out the yrs . . . a big help in getting procedures authorized. And, I've been blessed with good drs. (albiet some better than others).

Good luck to you and gentle hugs whatever you decide.

4. Nikki

Nikki Member

My husband had exact same surgery I had a yr & a half ago . . . same surgeon, and he's doing good.

So, I felt I was in good hands, but you never know. 5 yrs ago, I had mesenteric ischemia (the mesenteric artery feeds the intestine); went in for surgery and 'bout 3 days in hospital. Ended up in cardiac arrest for about 3-4 minutes (student anithesiologist's (sp) fault . . . long story . . . triple underline STUDENT . . . I was left alone w/him in recovery); my surgeon walked back in recovery to check on me and ended up saving my life; spent 7 days in ICU and 3 days in Critical Care . . .

Getting me to go through surgery again (for anything) was no easy matter . . . but, so far so good.

I have so much empathy for all of you on this board; it just breaks my heart to hear some of the stories.
    Sometimes when I think I'm getting the short end of the stick . . . I not only think about and pray for all of y'all, but for my husband . . . during the past 2 yrs. he's had quad-heart by-pass surgery; staff infection; cancer (he lost his L eye); then back surgery. Then he had to take care of me, b/c I went thru a depression I wouldn't wish on the devil (well, maybe the devil). Plus, he's always taken good care of me when I've had bad fibro flares.

Wouldn't it be nice if all of us on this board could have 24 hrs w/o pain . . . or just an hr. . . I think I'd be dangerous.

Sorry for your hip replacement complications.

Wishing you gentle hugs..............Sharon

5. Nikki

Nikki Member

Not even in any part of CA. I'm in LA (Louisiana).

Most of the time we're at the top of the list for anything bad, and the bottom of the list for anything good; but, my dr. was a ray of sunshine. He was recommended to my husband and me by our heart dr.

Here's hoping the surgery stops here for both of us.

6. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

This is an interesting subject that I have never heard of before. I wish you all the best! Hugs, MicheleK
  7. klar

klar Member

Hi Chris,
    I have been having these injections in my lower back for the past 3 or 4 years, approximately every 3 months. I have pretty severe back pain, so these keep me moving and off the operating table. The doctor I see specializes and does only these injections. It sounds daunting, but the pain is only for a few seconds, and the results are worth it (at least to me they are). Some work better than others, but I take care of my 4 year old granddaughter a few days each week and Ilneed to be able to move. I guess it boils down to a quality of life issue. The basic risk is losing bone density in the long term. I find being able to be up and about and not flat out makes the long term risk worth it. Good luck.