Has anyone ever heard of a "miracle" therapy program?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kj_b, Aug 8, 2006.

1. kj_b

kj_b New Member

My 25 year old daughter and I both suffer from chronic pain, me with Myofascial Pain and a spinal fusion, and she with Fibromyalgia.

She called today crying and said that she spoke with a pain management center that she had been trying to get into, but they called to tell her that her Rheumatologist denied the referral.

This is the same doctor that she was seeing when she told him she was so sick of the pain that she wanted to drive her car into a tree and he trippled her Oxycot--I'm not sure how to evn say it let alone try to spell it. But he had her on that for 3 months, which doesn't sound good to me. Then when she showed up at her last appointment, (her fiance from West Point went with her), he told her that he's concerned that she's just wanting to go to him for narcotics, and that if she's not willig to try this "miracle" physical therapy program (which cost $8000, and she would be doing physical therapy for FOUR HOURS A DAY, 4 days a week, for 12 weeks. He said he can't continue to give her any pain meds unless she shows she can't tolerate the therapy. (Is he serious?? Come on, is there anybody here that can do ANYTHING for four hours straight??)

She tried to explain to him that she lives alone and has to support herself, so she has to work full time. (She can't even rely on me for help as I haven't gotten a disability check since December; whole 'nother story...) She said it's killing her to just go to work every day; how could she possibly work full time AND go to 4 hours of PT 4 days a week, and could he send her to a pain management center to see if they could find something less expensive and time consuming. He said he's had plenty of patients who do it and that it works. (Personally I think he's full of it; he obviously doesn't suffer himself from any type of chronic pain.)

My question is; has anyone EVER heard of a PT program that works like that? Cuz it sounds to me like is getting some kind of kick-back from the therapist so he's not willing to let her go somewhere else.

has anyone ever heard of something like this? And if so, how did you handle it??
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

sounds to me like hes a QUACK
    and a kick back
    I may be wrong but I have never met a person with FM/CFS that could go threw that much at one time.
    I'M SICK OF THOSES DOCTORS WHO JUST DON'T GET OUR PAIN

I also would report him to the state medical board for extortion
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2006]