Has anyone ever passed a SS mental Exam?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by silky17, Aug 11, 2005.

1. silky17

silky17 New Member

Has anyone ever passed a SS mental Exam? I would like to know if the doctors of SS (or foir SS) are for the patient or SS.

Has anyone?
  2. silky17

silky17 New Member

I guess I am paranoid. But thanks again for the heads up and advice.

Silky
  3. sheried

sheried New Member

And Nanna is right. You should go in cold. The anxiety makes the fog worse, which actually works to our advantage.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Hugs,
    Sherie
  4. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

My exam, so to speak was nothing more than 7 min worth of questions, thats it. This doctor was cold to say the least. I dont think she wanted to be in the office on a saturday. I dont think this is like this in other states, just here in Oklahoma, these people here are very cold. I have always said, what goes around comes around, and I hope the doctor I had gets whats coming around soon. " Vengance is mine sayoth the lord!"
    I wouldn't even think twice about your appt. just be yourself and try to remember to tell them all your problems and how they make you feel. Good luck, Julie
  5. KelB

KelB New Member

Hiya. "Brain fog" is what we call the state that we sometimes get in, which leads to us being confused. This can show itself in many different ways and is never the same for every person. Examples:

- Can't read long written pieces without losing concentration
    - Can't remember things
    - Can't put words together to write or speak properly
    - Get lost in familiar surroundings

...but there are many more! It tends to be worse if we're having a bad day.
  6. kim840

kim840 New Member

Hi,

I want to comfort you in the fact that my interview was not bad at all.

The psych. was very warm and friendly. In fact, upon entering the room he said, if 2 other doctors say you have FM and are disabled, I am sure that you are. He even noted in his report that my dad drove me to the appt. and how I moved around in my chair because I was so uncomfortable sitting.

When I left the room he said I'll say what you need to have said to get your SS approved. And that's just what he did. He was great!

Take heart....there are good ones out there too!

Always hopeful,
    Marcia
  7. DellaMae

DellaMae New Member

The first one was a very long long long one and I had to answer a lot of questions, plus have my picture taken, and speak into a microphone. I was being taped and it made me feel even more agitated. He had me crying in no time because when I talked about my childhood I cried so easily. He decided I was molested as a child and needed some psychiatric care. He assured me that what he put in his report would assure that I would get social security disabilty. It didn't. I was denied again.

The second time was short and sweet. I had just lost my oldest brother and his funeral was the afternoon before I had the appointment with her. She was a great doctor and asked me pertinent questions and I cried cause of losing my brother and other things. She also assured me that she would write things that would help me get my benefits. Wrong again. I was denied again.

The third one was unbelievable. He needed more help than I did. I answered stupid questions and had to recognize colors and talk about numbers and what was on the news of the week, etc. It made no sense to me. I was very uncomfortable with this guy as he worked at a college as a psychology teacher, I am assuming. He acted like I was in there trying to get benefits for no reason. He acted like he didn't believe anything I told him. It was a total waste of my time and their money. I was denied again.

I have also gone to one physical exam. I passed it and the doc said I had lupus. Nothing helped. I was denied again.

Anyway.. Good Luck with the mental exam. As far as my experiences, they hire the docs to give their opinions but they don't exactly use what they say to make a decision, at least not in my cases.

I am presently awaiting a hearing date.

Good Luck and God Bless you... Hang in there and keep trying....don't give up!!!!!

DellaMae
  8. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

I had someone drive me to the hearing but he left, thinking I would be there a long time. The "doctor" asked me a few questions about my daily life. He asked me if I could pay the bills. I said I could not pay the water bill because it required reading the meter and figuring my useage and I always got it wrong (same with the electric bill). When I left I asked where I could wait and where the nearest soda machine was. Guess he thought if I could put change in a soda machine I could handle money. He wrote that I was very hostile (I wasn't trying to be but there was a lot at stake)and in his opinion there was nothing wrong with me. I didn't get disability because of that but because I had a personality disorder (avoidant behavior -- don't like to be around new people because I am afraid of being criticized)-- you learn what you live with-- and I have chronic pain and loss of balance.Also have clinical depression. Dr. Fredrick Wolfe's nurse told me I had all the pressure points of Fibromyalgia but the doctor who was supposed to find it and report to SSDI didn't even touch me and stated I had only four pressure points. My lawyer for SSDI said it was really bad because they had my husband, who had been badly burned in a refinery fire and had his vocal cords removed, and I both up for the same court session. She said the court would never allow it for a husband and wife. We had both been denied twice. They kept saying my husband could work at a computer (he's dyslexic with spelling words) or he could sweep floors. His company would not allow that because he couldn't be around dust with his lung condition. They would have let him sit in a chair for 8 hours a day but he was too nervous for that. We both got SSDI, thank God. It helped that I had proof that I had been offered more money in my contract then I had had the year before and I was turning it down.
  9. silky17

silky17 New Member

Well tomorrow is the big day. I am just going to let my mind speak as well as my body. Thank you all for the help and the heads up.

Pray for me.
    Silky