Has anyone ever started their own business?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2BDreamer, Jun 27, 2006.

1. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

I just wondered if I was crazy or something as I have been thinking of starting my own business. Ever sense I started thinking about it I have been feeling so much better. Kinda like a high or something which seems so strange. Maybe it is the dreamer in me but I'm going ahead with the business plan to see what happens.
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

I opened my own nail salon and I closed my own nail salon. I thought it would be a dream come true to finally have my own nail salon. Due to the stress of all the overhead and chemicals my fibro. progressed. It might be different if it was something different- like no chemicals and working out of the home. Good Luck to you if you decide to start your own business.

Kriket
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

I am a wedding planner. Having your own business is more stressful then workign for someone else however it is nice to maek yoru own hours. This past week has been esp. awful though b/c I had to fire one of my assistants she was just being a total ditz and it really hurt my business. I was so upset and stressed that my fevers have gone up more then usual. I am holding on to the biz hoping to get better soon but probably will let it go in a year or two if I am not feeling better. The sad thing is I love what I do and really found something that I am good at but I can't do the job. It is so draining!

Sometimes those highs are nice...my hubby and I are thinking about moving to an area where we can actually afford a new home of our own! That definitely has given me a high.

Having your own business though involves tons of work and like I said I work more then I ever did before. It never goes away and you can't just leave it at 5:00.
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

Very well put. I totally agree with you. I think having your own business requires a lot more stress and responsibility. It got really hard for me having this dd b/c you never know how your gonna feel from one day to the next. Closing my salon was the best thing I ever did. I got depressed b/c I felt like a failure, but finally realized that it was not me it was this dd keeping me from being able to perform my job and not knowing if I would be able to open my doors from day to day. I am still self employed, but this job is not near as stressful. I work only on the weekends but it still takes a toll on my body.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2006]
  5. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

The quilt shop here in our small town close about a month ago, due to lack of management. We really need something as you have to travel over 100 miles to even buy a needle.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2006]
  6. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

I think a quilt shop would work for me, no chemicals (kriket) and set hours, plus it keeps my mind off the pain all the time. Still working on business plan and research.
    dreamer
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

I think that this would be good. Sometimes when were busy it helps to keep our minds off of this dd. Does not sound too stressful.

Kriket
  8. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

I was also a self-employed medical transcriptionist for nearly 20 years. It required a great deal of self-discipline and organization to stay on top of the daily workload, plus having to travel to and from the clinic to pick up and drop off microcassette tapes and completed transcription. I became ill with CFS after working as a home-based MT for a few years and scaled way back, still managing to work about 20 hours a week. It was incredibly difficult. Had to work piecemeal, sometimes for only a few minutes at a time, then I'd have to lie down. My children were very young - 18 months and 7 years old, so I had childrearing to contend with too.

If you can limit the amount of work you take in, and the number of days per week that you work, it's doable, especially if you work on a remote basis. These days, it's possible to work straight from the Internet, without having to leave your home. The money is fairly decent, although it's declined in recent years due to outsourcing to India and other foreign countries, where they can get MTs to work for a pittance.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2006]
  9. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

beginning MT from their own home ??

i'd love to look into. i type very fast and can definitely find the time too...............

any advice would be VERY appreciated!!!
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes, I was forced to as my DH was in acoma and got a brain injury. I started making dolls and before I knew it, I was designing for TV shopping channels and well known in collecting circles. I ended up making more than as a psychologist!

If you are crafty doing the craft shows is OK can bring in as much or as little as you desire.

We did very well but I got burned out plus since the DD having to work with my hands and shoulders on designs gets too hard.

However, I now do consulting and writing which earns zilch really, but a friend and I are thinking of setting up a house staging business, where we stage houses so they sell, that is, when I feel better.

I may go back into doing a little designing.

Any of you crafty people there, craft mags are always looking for designers.

We also had a small organic farm (but I had my main job too) where we sold goats milk products, eggs, fruit and herbs/flowers. Very hard work.

Love Anne Cromwell
  11. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I had my own business, and closed it after a few years. My experience was both positive and negative. Some advice from someone who's "been there". --

1. Consider running it from home. The expenses of renting a space, all the utilities, insurance etc add up so fast!
    You could easily hit $10,000 a year in those expenses, and that is for a modest place.

2. If you do a business plan (and of course you should), you probably won't know all of your expenses, and you may make the common mistake of under-estimating them.

3. consider the state of your health, and how having your own business will impact it.

4.know your financial goals. Would you open a business and expect to earn some spare money, or do you want/ need to earn a living?

Good luck, and keep researching it!!!
  12. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

thank you for the input, I can always use any help on things I might miss.

My problem is I can't run it out of my house so will have to rent a place and it would have to be downtown. I have found a place already but time will tell if the business plan comes together. I don't think an income would be a good idea at the start of a quilting business as you always need new inventory so my plan is to put everything back into it the first two years.

I do have help from a local group who is helping me think of everything I might miss. I know it is possible to miss something but I think I could cover whatever. I'm not rich by any means but was able to put a little away before I moved here 4 years ago.

My health believe it or not has improved as soon as I started to think about all of this. Could be I don't have time to think about being sick. It's not gone, just on the back burner for me.

Anyway I thank you all for any help, this is a very big step for me. I will be away for the next week camping to get away from the fireworks so will have time to work on my plan.

Happy 4th to you all

13. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Would it be possible for you to contact the owner of the "old" quilt shop that went out of business? It might be useful for you to learn her experiences with starting up the shop, expenses, things to avoid etc. As well as *her* viewpoint on why she had to close the doors (which are probably not the ones you see!)

I think her insights would be very useful to you in writing your own business plan, even if you choose to do things very differently.

I'm a quilter myself, although I haven't accomplished much of it lately, and I know owning a quilt shop is a dream for many of us with this hobby/compulsion. ;-)

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  14. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

I have had contact with her for some time and she was not a business person and I don't feel she would have any good input for me.

She bought only what she liked and ran it to her house to keep, there was very little inventory there and what was there was very old and should have been tossed a long time ago. Thread was rotten most of the time I did buy it. When there was any profit she would spend the money on herself and her home, vacations etc. She never had any advertizing and no classes I ever saw that happened, she talked about it often, but didn’t do it. I asked for yellow once and she got one bolt which I really didn’t like, but she never got any more because she didn’t like yellow. I know you can’t do that, you have customers to please. There were many, many other things I won't go into here.

Anyway I’m off camping....
    Thanks again
  15. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I had my own medical transcription business and worked from home and LOVED it, but had to give it up when my 2nd child was born. I hope to pick it up in the future when kids are older and I am more well.

Go for it!
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Here is another idea.

Many years ago a group of us, all crafters, clubbed together and ran a craft cooperative that also had a quilters corner. We did classes in everything and also opened the store Thursdays Fridays Sats and Sunday afternoons taking it in turns to man the store.

Those who did not man the store would take a cut in their profit.

The store kept 25% for overheads, but the ones that did not work paid 40% receiving 60% for their goods.

We all became great friends and one lady and her daughter, after we closed due to people moving away(inc. moi)opened her own Quilt store with a friend who has a knitting corner. However as knitting suddenly became vogue again(am I ever glad a stashed up all those 5c needles and pattern books over the years from thrift stores)the knitting corner is doin well.

I am about to see what AC Moore pays for teachers too as they keep having placards up in store asking for teachers for the classes. The classes were really profitable BTW.

So maybe you could start off as a co op? What do you think?
    A good side line is doing alterations BTW also from ones own home. I did this as a second job once and made quite a lot of money.

Love Anne Cromwell ps whatever you do, do not do home decor as I tried this and people were horrid mostly. Oh before or and after school programs are good too as you only have the kids three hours a day.

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

When my SIL comes here later this month I will do just that as I have no idea how to scan a pic in at all. I have only one doll of mine left here.

I made guardian angels, and old ladies, and santas. They look very realistic, people think the photos are real people.

I even was commissioned to make some for the White House Christmas Tree but was by then too much in pain to sculpt as I make them from Polymer Clay.

A lot of my original designs and ideas were ripped off.

I cannot tell you how many of my little angels were put in graves with service personnel or travelled to war with them.

I also did portrait dolls of weddings, children and golden anniversary couples too. A lot of quite famous people bought my dolls.

I am extremely proud of the fact that a good deal of the proceeds went to feed the poor in Texas food shelters, helped special needs children be adopted and also went to save abused and neglected animals and children, plus I always donated dolls for good causes to raffle off.

Hope you have good news soon, been waiting for word.

Was it you who used to have the picture posted of the tiny babies(dolls) in the palm of the hand. They were darling.

Love Anne Cromwell

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  18. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Is there a College or University near you? Sometimes business students will assist a new business owner with their business plan as a class project. Your local Chamber of Commerce might be able to point you toward advice, grants, etc for new businesses.
  19. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

I started at my bank to ask what they needed and was told about a place in town that helped with business plans. I went to talk to them and they help but also made me do the work to learn what was needed, this really helped me to understand everything.

Once I had the plan I typed it all up and went back to my bank which turned me down flat after putting me off a week and a half. So back to the people who helped and they went out and found 2 more places that wanted to look at my plan. I went and felt good about the first one which within 4 days gave me my loan.

As of now I'm going to open the doors the first week of October, building fabric racks and ordering everything I need. It's a lot of work but fun for me, even if I'm a bit nervous some days, this is my first business.
    dreamer