has anyone ever tried acupunture?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Oct 28, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

Anyone ever tried acupuncture for their fibro pain?
    I'm going to my chiro next week for an adjustment, which I've put off way too long. I've been walking crooked and lopsided for way too long, and am so tired of this stupid sciatica pain.
    Anyway, my chiro also specializes in acupuncture, and I'm going to ask him about it.

But, I just wondered if anyone has had it done, and if it's done them any good???

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I saw an acupuncturist for my chronic fatigue syndrome. The poker told me
    his wife had CFS and was greatly helped by this treatment. Didn't do
    me any good though.

I do see a chiropractor for spinal adjustments. Couldn't walk if I didn't have

Good luck

3. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

but i am seriously considering acupunture.

If you do decide to try acupuncture, please keep us posted. I'd be interested hearing about your acupuncture.

Be Well
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

has studied acupuncture for years, and has told me there are good studies that it can help a significant number of people with FM pain, and that he has FM pts he has helped. I have CFIDS & Lyme... but no pain, so can't testify personally as to how it worked for me.

I can tell you that it made the difference for me with shingles, and again, there are clinical studies backing it up for that as well. Of course not everything works for everyone... just make sure you get someone who knows what they're doing... (lol, I know, that advice is important medically every time we go see a doctor for anything!

all the best,

5. dannybex

dannybex Member

...and it can help, (and does help me 'unblock' the pain), but like any type of medicine, it depends on the doctor or practitioner.

If you don't get good results then you might find better results with someone with more experience.

Also important is dietary issues, depending on your specific consitution, which they will test during your appointment. We can't eat junk food and expect good results from any type of medicine...

It lasts about 2-3 days for me, but that's better than nothing...and some report better results. We're all different...
  6. lukro

lukro Member

It works for my pain but last (only) 2-3 day *but* that is much, much better than nothing.

Also, it took about 6 weeks of going once a week before it kicked in for me.
  7. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I've always wanted to try it but my insurance doesn't pay for it. It's out of reach for me financially. I'm wondering of those posting does anyone's insurance pay for it?
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

I didn't and still don't have insurance that will cover doctor's visits of any kind... only for things that require hospitalization

(Sure wish they'd open insurance to competition, I didn't know til recently the insurance industry is exempt from anti-trust regulations)

double :(:(
  9. lukro

lukro Member

otherwise, I could not afford to even try it....
  10. sportsmom628

sportsmom628 New Member

I started 2 weeks ago, with my Docs. Chiro, accupuncturist, massage therapist. I found some relief but as the last reply only last a couple of days. Does make me feel great when I walk out of there, but I also started taking Savella approx. 7 weeks ago so I don't know if it is that or the accu or both. I did have a fibro flare up yesterday and I'll tell you what definetely was not as bad as previously.

But how my Doc. put it to me is you have to want to do it and have it in your mind that it is going to work for you, so I don't know. If your insurance covers it I say try it why not right?!

Let me know if you try it.

11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

There are studies that show acupuncture can help with certain conditions. Unfortunately, my foggy mind is interfering with remember which conditions. You can probably google this information. It is also in the book "Trick or Treatment" which I use as a resource.

If I find this information, I will post it.

Don't ever let a chiropractor touch you above the shoulders.

Have you seen a physician about pain management and your sciatica? Are you on any pain meds. Ultram/Tramadol works well for me but you need a physician to decide which pain reliever would fit with your needs.

Good luck.