Has anyone every had a FOOD ALLERGY TEST?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladydi, Feb 28, 2003.

1. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Hi all,

The nutrionist that is the sponsor of our local
    support group has asked us all to get a food allergy test.

Just wondering if anyone has had this done, and what
    was the outcome?

Thanks,
    Di
  2. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Hello. I am going Monday for a food allergy test ordered by a new intergrative doc. that I started seeing this week. Apparently there is more than one type of test. A friend of mine that had a food allergy test (she has fibro) showed up no allergies. This was a test done by an allergy doctor. But when she went to this integrative doc. he ordered a more sensitive type of testing that showed up 27 allergies!!!! They sent the test to a lab called blue mountain, or something like that, it has the work mountain in it I think, that all I know. Hope this helps! I will find out more when I go on Monday for mine.
  3. namow

namow New Member

I have been tested twice and the results were surprising, I'm allergic to almost everything, at this point I don't even know what to eat or nothing. It has been very hard, hopefully you won't be like me.
    Good luck!
  4. lisalynh

lisalynh New Member

I had food allergy testing. There are two main types, I believe. A skin test, and a blood test. The skin test is not very helpful, in my opinion and according to my doc. It came up that I had no allergies but my blood test showed many allergies. It was helpful to have this done because even after an elimination/challenge diet I could not tell which foods I was sensitive to. It's a pretty expensive test, but worth it if you suspect food allergies. The company that does it Great Smokies Diagnostics.

Lisa
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Be certain that you really want the results of this one!!!

I have had both skin & blood allergy testing. Like a previous respondant, I'm allergic to practically everything. I refer to it as the day my world changed. The diet my allergist recommended left me almost nothing to eat. The 4-day rotation diet I'm supposed to be following (so that you don't become allergic to the things you CAN eat) was so labor intensive in terms of planning & preparing that I would've spent all my time consumed with this. I personally could not do it; my hat is off to those who can.

Here is my compromise: I use a full complement of supplements (probiotics, digestive enzymes, all the vitamins & minerals testing showed I was lacking). I use a liver cleanse to help detoxify. I do NOT eat the foods at all that I am most seriously allergic to (which means no dairy, nuts, soy, shrimp, gluten for me. I also don't eat beef & pork because I never ate them to begin with, not because of allergies). I still eat things that I tested "no allergy" to, and small amounts I had only a slight reaction to, but I try not to eat the same foods day after day. I am hoping with diligent use of supplements over a long period to see some improvement. I could simply not handle the 4-day rotation diet & keep sane.

I do believe that at least for me, underlying food allergies & "leaky gut" are a major factor in my illness. You are wise to be tested, just be prepared for the results, it can be life-altering----but hopefully shed light on why you might be sick.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. healing

healing New Member

I agree with Pam. I am currently on the elimination/rotation diet given along with the results of the IgG Assay for secondary food sensitivities. I have to say that in spite of the great effort involved in this diet, I felt absolutely terrific the first month I was on it.

I say the first month only, because at that point I had my gallbladder out and everything has changed since then. I had a terrific flare from weather and the stress of the surgery, and the sicko feeling I've had in my stomach has driven me to cheat on the food rotation. But I plan to get serious with it again as soon as the stomach improves.

One thing I noticed with the Assay is that I tested positive to everything I was eating the most of. Now, one might say that's because you tend to develop cravings for those foods you are most allergic to. On the other hand, I wonder if the test -- which is still very controversial among medical professionals -- is flawed to react with those substances that are most common in the body? I don't know, but it interests me -- because I sure do miss these foods!

I don't think I can keep up the rotation forever, frankly. I will start adding foods back in, one by one, in a couple of months. But the rotation is very, very difficult. I do understand with our highly sensitized systems, we are more likely to develop allergies, so even though I doubt I'll be able to keep this strict sort of rotation up, I'll continue to make an effort to have a highly diversified diet.

Anyway, Di, best of luck with this. It's a strange journey, isn't it?