Has anyone experienced esophogeal spasms?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by rennae, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rennae

rennae New Member

For the pat 5 years or so I have experienced spasms in my throat which make it impossible to inhale. It's terrifying, but I have learned that I need to force myself to relax when it happens so that my throat will open. My dr. says that if I pass out, my throat will relax and I'll be able to breathe again, but that's not much comfort. I was diagnosed with fibro. about 15 years ago....chronic muscle spasms in my back and legs are my worst symtoms. I don't know if this throat problem is a part of the fibro or not. Anyone else have this problem?
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

When I get a panic attack, it feels like my throat closes up and I can't breathe. I keep some fluids with me to drink and then I force myself to drink slowly and it opens it up and relaxes the spasm.
  3. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I too get these spasms. There is no rhyme or reason to it, they just happen without warning. I often have trouble swallowing as well. I think it is due to muscle spasms since I have a problem with spasms and rigidity in other parts of my body.

I have not talked with my Dr regarding this since there is always so much to discuss at each visit,but I know how scary it is and the fear of chocking for me, is so bad that I try to mak sure there is someone with me when I eat.

4. kiminaz

kiminaz New Member

I also have had these type of spasms. I get spasms in my throat, and also down near my sternum. It makes it very difficult to breathe. It took my a long time to realize that i might have some disorder other than just gastrointestinal. But, when i had an endoscopy done and they found only gastritis(inflammation of the stomach lining) i knew something else must be going on. Im not a doctor but i think that the throat spasms definitely could have something to do with the fibromyalgia.

I have recently started physical therapy to treat the muscles in my throat and chest, and that might be an option for you to help with the spasms.[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2008]
  5. moonmaiden3878

moonmaiden3878 New Member

YES I HAVE HAD THESE FOR SOMETIME....THEY ARE SO BAD SOMETIMES I HAVE TO THROW UP. THEY OCCUR WHEN I WOULD EAT OR DRINK......I WENT TO A DR ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO AND THEY DID TEST AND SAID IT WAS ANXIETY ..I KNEW BETTER.......I FINALLY WENT TO ONE WHO EXPLAINED HOW ITS A SIDE EFFECT OF ACID REFLUX SHE PUT ME ON 40 MG OF PRILOSEC AND ITS NEVER HAPPENDED SINCE......ABOUT 6 MONTHS......YEA! I HAVE FM TOO.....GOOD LUCK
  6. daylight

daylight New Member

Yep I get them to . The doctors were thinking that it's acid reflux but the antacids aren't helping me. I take 40 mg. of prilosec twice a day. Because I also have RA the think that it might be because of just regular RA swelling. I also have trouble swallowing at times . Anxiety can cause this as well but I don't have problems with anxiety .
    Keep pushing for answers . This things can take awhile to get figured out.
    take care.

7. findmind

findmind New Member

Yes, I have had this symptom also. I have FM and CFids/ME (which I believe to be two different things).

Think about it: the esophagus and the intestiness are also a type of muscle called smooth muscle, so they can be affected by FM as much as any other muscle in the body.

When I first had them, it was when I was eating, and the food was stacking up in my esophagus and it made a crushing pain in my chest.

I had to stop eating, relax, breathe as slowly and deeply as I could, and they would subside and I could continue eating.

About 8 years later, I had problems with my eyes muscles (yes, eyes, LOL), and also swallowing. Eventually I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis (MG), another "unknown cause" disease! My eyes close on their own, my facial muscles shake and jitter, I can't talk right, and you got it...I can't swallow.

I would like research done investigating the neurotransmitter acetylcholine; it is really strange, but FM is a neurological problem, and acetylcholine is a chemical that fills the space between nerve endings and muscles. If it gets depleted, MG occurs. I wonder if FM is a precurser to MG...just my wandering mind, of course; there may be no connecton whatsoever.

On the Alzheimer's board, there was discussion whether acetylcholine was involved in that disease; some drs say yes, others no...so, what else is new?

None of this to scare you to death...hopefully, realizing it very well is the FM can help you to just relax and let the spasms pass. Mine have gone away for the most part...all a part of the appearing and disappearing symptoms that make up FM and CFS/ME.

Mucho huggies,
    findmind