Has anyone filed for disability and used the FFC as primary?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hootie1, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Do the courts view the FFC as a valid doctor when providing information for the forms? I'm just curious because I no longer go to my rheumatologist. As far as the rheumy is concerned I am getting better, but I'm not.

I'm concerned that when I file for disability it might bite me in the behind....

Any thoughts? I have another thread where I was asking for information from people who filed for disability in the Fed'l Gov't - I hope this is ok to continue another one with a new title.
  2. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

The doctors at the FFC are MDs (medical doctors). MDs are recognized by SSD. NDs (naturopaths) are not.

I got my SSD award before I knew of the FFC. Recently, my FFC doctor wrote a lengthy letter for me for my SSD appeal (I did have to pay for this). (I was given only a partial award and I'm appealing.) She did an excellent job, and included info on my labs, symptoms, diagnosis, and backed it with research. My attorney thought it was a super letter.

I think that the extensive testing and diagnosis from the FFC could only add support for your SSD claim.

3. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thank you for your feedback. This is a very uneasy time for me right now.
  4. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Got all of the energy and feel refreshed. Ahhhh...
  5. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I spoke with my FFC doctor yesterday about disability retirement and he suggested that we hold off on that. He truly believes that I will have somewhat of a recovery. It's hard for me to believe since I have so many infections. I will trust him. He did suggest, however, that I think about taking time off.

I'll give it a shot.
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i used the ffc as primary for both a california state disability claim and federal. my state claim was approved but only after cali verified all relevant licensing info for the ffc with the georgia board of health. my federal claim was denied. i never appealed.
  7. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

When you said that the State approved the disabilty retirement, do you mean that you worked for the State or for private industry. How does the Federal (I assume you mean SSI) play into it.

I'm sorry, but this is new to me.

Thank you for your patience.
  8. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

when i got sick i was living in california which has a state-run, short term disability program that all employees pay into. it's called SDI, state disability insurance. if you are considered disabled by your doctor and have to leave your job, you are eligible for up to one year of benefits. it was a life saver for me. i wish all states had such programs.

applying for social security disability is a separate process. it's funded by social security, which is managed by the federal government. sorry, i can see how you got confused now. your ss disability claim is processed by a state office, but it's actually federal money you're receiving.
  9. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I understand now- thanks. I have also been doing a little more research and thanks to you all I understand it better.
  10. srobins

srobins New Member

When I had my ALJ Hearing in April, the doctor that called in (a rheumatologist) to testify as the medical expert did not shed a good light on the FFC. He said that he had checked the AMA and could not find the doctors listed at the facility I have been going to. He was making it sound like they are a fly by night operation. Fortunately for me the judge kind of shot him down on that.
  11. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Thank you for your reply. Are you still on disability? Do you think that you will be able to go back after the year?

My problem is that when I do feel good, I am afraid to show it because then people don't believe that I am sick.
  12. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Which FFC do you go to? It's great they were willing to do that even if you did have to pay.

Gretchen
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]