Has Anyone found an anti-inflammatory that helps?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by danaroo, Jun 1, 2005.

1. danaroo

danaroo New Member

Hi
    I was on bextra which helped, but it's gone now. Has anyone found an antiinflammatory that helps joint pain? I tried naprosyn and now am on Voltaren. Any other ideas that you've had success with? In addition to the Fibro I have lots of joint pain and swelling and am trying to determine other options.

thanks for any help
    dana
  2. tadpolieolie

tadpolieolie New Member

I'm on Mobic and it is the only anti-inflammatory that has helped me.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Dana:
    I use Borage Oil (one a day) and it seems to help with the inflamation. At least for me it does.
    NyroFan
  4. reiner1

reiner1 New Member

I was just put on voltrean,it does help somewhat,although,is it a comman effect that fibro has on the joints,to swell,and be stiff,I am talking about Knees,elbows,and hips.I am an 18yr sufferer,and live in an area where docs are NOT up to date on Fibro.I find myself doing all the research,and telling them.I am on tramadol,can take up to 8pills a day,but it really does not work,so I take 2 in the a.m.with 5mg klonepin,,and 75mg of the volteran,thats my am cocktail,also take 3000mg of omega-e,jointflex,a complex b vitamin,eat 1cup of fatfree organic yogurt for the probiotics,I take that 3xday.Now at nite,I take 75mg volteran,25mg zanaflex,75mg of doxepin,and 12mg of a beta-blocker to keep my pulse/pressure down,from all the meds that effect my thyroid.AND,I still have a pain level of at least 8,on my good days.Would like to know what anyone else is doing with meds.
  5. gnanny

gnanny New Member

was a real surprise. I have had achilles tendonitis for 15 years, I had always been prone to tennis elbow and tendonitis of the wrist at the drop of a hat.
    I have tried many things, steroids worked the best. That is until I tried the cherry juice.
    I know it sounds too simple but its true.

You have probably read it here so I wont nag.

That truly gave me more releif than anything else I have tried.

Let me know if you need more info.
    take care, stephanie
  6. danaroo

danaroo New Member

For your answers. I haven't tried Mobic--was afraid to bother since i figure if bextra and vioxx were taken off then mobic would be too! I have been using the tart cherry juice but i often miss a few days and so far have seen no help from it. haven't tried the oil.

Thanks everyone
    dana
  7. bobbi507

bobbi507 New Member

I have done a lot of research and have found that for many unlesss they have some sort of inflammation in their body, anti-inflammitories are ineffective for the pain of Fibro. This has been my experience also. Wish it were that simple.
  8. lea

lea Member

Hi Dana:
    Does Mobic work right away or does it have to build in your system first?
    Also, How do you take?
    thank you
    lea
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2005]
  9. danaroo

danaroo New Member

I haven't tried Mobic yet; I was on bextra. But my doctor said that all the drugs have to build up in your system to really work so they say to give a new drug 3 weeks to see if you feel a difference.

hope that helps
    dana
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

Clinoril is what I am taking right now and it works pretty good - but not for muscle pain. The generic name starts with an S - like Sulinac or something. You have to take it with food which justifies my Golden Grahams at night or my two cookies! with milk.
    I was without my Clinoril for about a week and was about crippled.
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I take Diclofenac Sodium 100 mg. after dinner along with Cytotec 200 mcg. which is the same as Arthrotec, except the dosage for the Diclofenac is 75 mg.

For some reason my doctor changed all that to 3 x a day (50 mg. of the DS), but I only take it once a day as I seem to do well on it after dinner. The pharmacist said I could take the 100 mg. of it instead of 75 mg. if I was only doing it once a day. I do find it helps with the burning shoulder pain.

Hugs,
    Cat

12. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

...see my profile page if interested.

HI THERE DANA,
    A LONG STORY, with thoughtful ADVICE from EXPERIENCE...

(because of RED-TAPE & GOVERNMENT hand slaps, SO MANY DOCTORS CLAIM TO HAVE EXPERIENCED, THEY WON'T GIVE ME THE MEDICATION THAT HELPS MY legs orBODY SWELLING- IT'S NAME- "SOMA". (and "they" wonder why USA has drug problems, they force people to go to the street,& other States.
    MEXICO-$10.00 for 100 CALIFORNIA-FLORIDA-$2.-$4.A PILL!!
    IT'S ALSO "PARTY-ER'S DRUG OF CHOICE, THEREFORE RUINING
    THE "MEDICAL NEED" FOR SO MANY PEOPLE. I HAVE ASKED AT LEAST 5 DOCTORS WHO KNOW ME AND THEY ALL HAVE ACCESS TO MY PHARMACIST SO I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE I AM ACCOUNTABLE FOR MY MEDICATIONS EVERY 2 MO.
    HOW CRUEL IS SAYING NO TO SOMEONE WHO IS RESPONSIBLE AND IN NEED OF THIS RELIEF?

SO, DANA...TO YOU I SAY .....
    IF YOU CAN GET "SOMA" FROM YOUR DOCTOR, I SUGGEST TRYING IT. second choice for swelling/pain valium.it's about getting your body to RELAX.
    **SOMA**a lg. skeletal muscle relaxer/anti-inflamatory
    it does not even require a "triplecate".
    *Valium is the next best for me-10mg 2-3x a day-also a large skeletal muscle relaxer. But, doctor's don't like to prescribe these, fear of the patient's addiction.
    (frankly, when in agony, I don't care if I am addicted,
    do you?)SEVERE PAIN DOES THAT TO A PERSON! We MUST be very self-educated about taking our meds & don't abuse!!

To address your question Dana,
    medications that have helped me cope, other then the above
    1.MEDROL-(METHYLPREDNISOLONE)A STERIOD-PILL, USUALLY TAKEN 7 DAYS ONLY-TAPERING OFF EACH DAY ONE LESS.
    IT REDUCES INFLAMATION.it's prescribed for endless symptoms, from skin rashes to cancer. (GO FIGURE)!
    ASK ANY ATHLETE, & WATCH THE NEWS, STERIODS REDUCE THE SWELLING OF THE MUSCLES & THEY HAVE TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS IF NOT TAKEN WITH CAUTION OR UNDER A WISE PHYSICIANS ADVICE
    2."SOMA" i had to get that in so you won't forget! T-hee.
    3.VALIUM- follow directions about side effects, makes some people very drowsy or stumble & get hurt more.
    4.SEVERE PAIN-DOLOPHINE(METHADONE)-5-10mg-1-3x day-each person is different-according to your Doctor's order. no matter what,start out very low dose until you find what you can tolerate.
    (I was started on 10mg 2-3 x day OMG! i was a gone-er!
    and had severe accidents at home, hitting the tile counter head first, many blackouts, getting concusions/stitches,more than four times)* even if your Doctor says a certain dose, try half or even less to see how ya do. it's almost 3 yrs later and i can handle 10mg @
    2 or 3 times within a 24 hour period. But it took all that time to get used to this dose. OKAY? trust yourself on the dose and be careful & not alone until u know how u react.
    BUT, it helps my pain ALWAYS now.
    ( I told ya, I've tried it all )
    FOR THE SEVERE PAIN-morphine did not help me!
    most people are prescribed Vicoden.
    I required 1200mg @ every 3-5hrs,I was "red-flagged" by the pharmacy & was referred to a
    "pain management"program with an anesthesiologist.
    (and who more perfect to help with pain?! They are extremely experienced Doctors, and wiser then most primary care,because they specialize in "putting a patient out of misery" prior to an operation,etc.
    ????? DANA, ARE YOU IN A PAIN MANAGEMENT PROGRAM ????

FYI-this program is designed to teach you techniques to help you deal with your pain & give medications.
    1. You attend a couple of group classes.
    There is a "team of people", who give an orientation about what is expected of you, and what they intend to do FOR you
    these people include, Doctor of Anethesiology, counsiling- individual & small groups. your very own pharmacist!just to name a few. oh, & other's just like us or worse :(
    2.IF YOU HAVE CHRONIC PAIN-related to all kinds of illness.
    3. IF YOU REQUIRE STRONG MEDICATIONS FOR SEVERE PAIN-
    4. IF YOU CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE RIGHT MEDICATIONS
    5. IF NO RELIEF FROM YOUR SYMPTOMS NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE TRYED, (short of a hammer & prayers)
    ******MIRACLES DO EXSIST ~ DO NOT GIVE UP !!!

ps. i warned ya it was "overlapping" and "a long story" :)
    I HOPE ALL WHO TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS
    WILL TAKE "SOMETHING" I'VE WRITTEN WITH THEM ON THEIR
    PERSONAL JOURNEY, THANKS TO DANA.
    BY-BYE
    i had to correct one sentence after i proof read my own thoughts. BEST TO ALL. THEEEE END. ;)[This Message was Edited on 08/27/2005]
  13. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Thanks for asking the question and everyone else thanks for all the good information. I sure appreciate you all!

Francie
  14. jess

jess New Member

Nobody mentioned Wobenzmes. I find it helps a great deal. You have to take at least 15 or more a day. You work up to it slowly. I have read that it has been used by athletes successfully. Basically they are proteolytic enzymes. Jess
  15. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

but then, I don't have any inflammation! Just the FM and CMPS! I have recently(yesterday) ordered off of the prohealth store the FM Relief, and hope that will help, there are a number of thread about it from people who use it and it has helped them.
    Liquid Certo mixed with your fav. juice works after a few weeks. Sounds interesting but my best friends hubby has done this and now only needs to do it as needed.
    Hope that helps
  16. CharleeW

CharleeW New Member

Just wondering. It has worked wonders for me. I have been on it for a year now and it needs increased again, as I am experiencing more break-through pain lately, but it changed my life.

Charlee
  17. lalaina

lalaina New Member

Hi: I was on Zanaflex it takes about 3-4 hrs to kick in and lasts only 1-2 hrs (pain relief). I hope your dr impressed upon you the importance of getting your bloodwork done every 3 months. This Zanaflex can be very damaging to your liver.