Has anyone from OK won SSI or SSD for FM or CFS??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Apr 30, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

If you have won how long did it take you. Want to know what area you're from and what attorneys you used,if you did. I want to be prepared. Thanks, Keke
  2. keke466

keke466 New Member

3. borntired

borntired New Member

Hi Keke466

That is a good question. I have applied and have been denied twice but have not received a date for a hearing before a judge. Most people I have spoken to say that they had "other issues" along with FMS/CFS. Actually I think depression has to be part of the FMS mix. If I get a hearing, I will let you know if I get it for this.

Good luck,

Lets put a prayer out there for ourselves and those like us.

Take Care.

Borntired
  4. Teresa6868

Teresa6868 New Member

I applied in June of last year and am still waiting. I have had the physical and mental exams now with both of SS docs.

I will use Troutman and Troutman if I ever get a denial.

Hope this helps, Teresa
  5. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I just got my "approved" letter.

I had been denied twice, which is normal. I got an advocate, after firing an idiot lawyer.

She use to work for SS. I had my hearing before the judge in March. Hoping for a Check soon, I need it so bad!

Although I have alway's heard you get SS for depression instead of CFS/FM. I got mine for FM. My advocate was confidant that I could based on my history and doctor's.

I live in Nashville, TN.

Best Wishes,
    Claudia
  6. borntired

borntired New Member

Hi Claudiaw,

In your post on this site you said you waited two years for SSD and got an Advocate who worked for SSD? I have been waiting a little longer and got rid of my Attorney and then found this woman as my Advocate. I am very anxious because I don't know what to do at the hearing. I had their Psychiatrist examine me for 5min. but I also have a Psychiatrist who wrote an evaluation and said I was depressed and agreed with FMS/CFS and felt that at my age, 61, I could no longer compete in the business world.

What took place at the interview? I am overweight but I always wear a little makeup and dress neatly. I think it is respectful to myself and to whomever I meet. So I don't think I'll take the advice of some who say otherwise.

Please let me know how long after your approval did you receive you monthly check.

Thank you very much,

Joan
  7. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Hi.:)
    At the hearing you don't want to dress up or wear jewelry or make-up. you are not trying to fool anyone, but remember they don't know you or see your pain.

You need to act, look, and speak as you would on your worst day. Again you are not lying, but if you look fine and act fine, they will think you feel fine!

My advocate use to work for SS so she knows what they look for. As long as you have good medical record's you should be fine.

She said the judge want's to hear about how your pain/depression affects your ability to work and do daily tasks. He wants to look at you and see if you are credible. That is why you want to look and act as you would on your worst day, even if you are having a "good' day.

I too didn't want to appear disrespectful by wearing anything inappropriate, but my advocate said to wear what I usually would, so i did. i wore sweat's! They had no problem with that. Remember you are there because you are in pain and can't work, you shouldn't dress as if for an interview.:)

Best wishes,

Clauida

[This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  8. leubie

leubie New Member

Hey Yall---------sorry to jump in here but its interesting-----------------Thanks KeKE for asking this question !!!!!--------------------Claudia------Hey I just found out that I am going to have some sinus surgery----------due from where the dentist really MADE A HUGE MISTAKE / pulling my teeth------------------anyways its now a medical issue----------------MY QUESTION to you (or others w/ knowledge!!!!!)---------is Do I have to go in front of a judge for short term disability??????-------------I have a call in to my union rep------------------but would appreciate any real help!!!!!!----------Can you go from short term diasability to long---------or is that two seperate cases------------------as its getting extremely rough for me to work----------WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ANSWERS AND/ OR SUGGESTIONS from yall WONDERFUL, KNOWLEDGE FILLED MINDS!!!!!!!!--------------------THANKS -----------------AND-------------LOVE TO ALL LAURA
  9. leubie

leubie New Member

Just me bumping for answer!!!!!LOVE TO ALL-------------------------LAURA
  10. leubie

leubie New Member

Just me bumping for answer!!!!!LOVE TO ALL-------------------------LAURA
  11. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

my advocate say's here in TN. there is no such thing.

You are either on disability or not.

Can you get a leave of absense or un-employment? That might be the way to go.

Best wishes,

Claudia
  12. borntired

borntired New Member

Thanks Claudia for the advice.

I do have some good medical records that show my history or infections, pain, LOA from work and loss of jobs...not stating the reason why but with my first 25 years of work I only had two jobs ... after FM I have had over 10 jobs and everything has gone downhill.

I hope he will put all of this together.

Thanks for your quick response.

Take Care.

Joan
  13. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Hi everyone,

ONE person on this message board was approved for SSDI?

I hope I am misunderstanding something here. . .as it likely is for most of us in this predicament, this is my only hope.

Also, I have heard you must be very careful *not* to be classified in any way as depressed because that they will only pay for for a year or two.

What does anyone know about this? Also, please let me hear from others who have won their cases!!

Cheers!

LouiseK
  14. deb06

deb06 New Member

I tend to disagree with some of the responses here. At least in my case. I did act during my first hearing as it was my worst day. I acted like I was in agony- I was. It came off as disrespectful and not credible. I was told NOT to wear anything like sweats, but no makeup and dress respectfully.

The second hearing- I got the chip off my shoulder and treated the Judge respectfully, and I won. Think of the judge as God on the judgement seat, and be HUMBLE and respectful and talk from your heart. Hard to even drop down our defenses for one day- but we need to to win. deb