HAS ANYONE GAINED WEIGHT?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by castle, Nov 23, 2005.

1. castle

castle New Member

I HAVE GAINED NEARLY 20 POUNDS SINCE JUNE. I HAVE BEEN ON THYRONIE FOR ABOUT 2.5 MONTHS AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY LUCK WITH LOSING ANY WEIGHT. CAN ANYONE RELATE?
  2. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

I have been doing the gaining.

I hate being so over weight. 170 on a 5ft 2in frame. I just lost 8 lbs, I started trying on Nov. 1st. I get tired of living on water and rabbit food. I have had no sugar, starches or dairy (except for a bit of cheese on my salad).

My belly bloats out every night. I measerd my waist at 34 in the day and 39 at night. It drives me crazy. I had my thyroid test done but it is always normal.

I know I'm not right somewhere but where...

M
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2005]
  3. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I know I'm not exercising like I should be, but I still blame my medications for making me gain weight. I do not eat all day long, nor do I eat fast food daily or anything like that. I even tried Weight Watchers and followed the plan, but at weigh-in time, I was always disappointed. There has got to be some truth to the fact that antidepressants cause weight gain. I've been on two of them now for a few years and I'm a good 40-50lbs. heavier. I truly believe that the meds slow down metabolism. It is so upsetting to me because family members have gotten on me about the weight gain. They just do not understand.
  4. Sachmo

Sachmo New Member

I've gained 30 pounds since diagnosed. I think it is the medicine.
  5. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I still weigh the same as before I was diagnosed, but then again I have never been overweight, I think it's in my genes to be skinny, my whole family is.

Phoebe
  6. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

Gained 50lbs ....I swear overnight! lol... I'm at 168 5'1".. I've never weighted more than 118 my whole life...!
    I"m not pleased... tried everything nothing works to get the weight off.... no meds to blame here either.

I'm going to try the juicing diet ...nuthin' but raw foods thing... see if that will do it... (after I eat my turkey dinner of course)

7. sassykat

sassykat New Member

Gained weight? Boy, have I! It's a catch 22 situation. Usually I hurt too much to exercise, but when I feel okay, and try to get some physical activities in, I suffer for days after. I bloat after I eat anything, and I hate that feeling of being stuffed. My clothes don't fit, and I've tried every diet known to man.
    Sassykat
  8. castle

castle New Member

are you taking the compound pharmacy meds and vitamins prescribed by the fibro center?
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Yes, I have gained lots of weight. I have 50-60 pds on my frame. My blood sugar has been getting to high so I have really started to exercize. I know I have to lose at least 20 pds or I will end up with type-2 diabetes on top of everything else.

A lot of meds make you gain especially anti-depressants. One famous Fm and CFS doctor said the average weight gain is 35 pds with these diseases. He did not really say what he thought caused it. It seems like people either go one way or the other, gain or lose to much.

Sandy
  10. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I gained a ton of weight years ago because of antidepressants, so I understand the awful feeling. Before these drugs, I was still sick with pain, fatigue and everyting else, but at least I was a good weight.

Now, I'm just overweight becaue of these drugs and still sick, kind of disgusting. Hugs, Chelz.
  11. halfpint49

halfpint49 New Member

you bet i have about 30 pounds i blame it on my steriod shots. might be other meds. i know i don't always move around alot due to pain, but i do get out and do things. so it must be the drugs lol my appitite hasnt changed any.
  12. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

Yes, I can relate. I've gained 45 lbs. since 2000, and I hate it. I can't believe it's me when I look in the mirror, and I feel so helpless about it because exercise exhausts and hurts me, and my appetite is huge and for the wrong foods. Wish I could help us!!
  13. windymountain

windymountain New Member

I was putting on all kinds of weight for no apparent reason over the last year. Yes, my thyroid is a little off but not enough to require meds, according to my very good doc. I just got diagnosed with fibro last spring (even tho I've suffered from it for years). We determined that I was not absorbing much of my food nutrients, even though I was gaining weight. He put me on four consecutive vitamin IV drips (took a whopping 10 minutes each in his office)a week apart, and I started to feel a little more alive. So then we decided to try pancreatic enzymes (prescription strength) and thsoe are helping tremendously, but in my opinion, what helped the most was going off all gluten-containing foods. Apparently you can develop food sensitivities with fibro (among other sensitivities) and have I developed one to wheat and glutens. If I try to eat them now, I get very sick. You can try cooking with a book called, "The Gluten Free Gourmet, Rvised" and see if it helps with your weight. Good recipes...even hubby enjoys these ones!
  14. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I've gained around 60# plus since dealing w/this whole thing. I also had Microscopic colitis & was gluten free for 6yrs. & didn't lose a pound. I'm now healed w/that & have IBS, & have gone back on gluten. I was on such horrible diet restrictions for those six yrs. I was only eating about 6-8 different types of foods. Soooooooo, I should have lost wt. buuuuuuuttttt...I guess not.

I contribute the gain to having Plantar Fascitis, so can't be on my feet long to exercise. Also when I do exercise, doing anything, I'm wiped out for to up to a week.I do stretching b4 getting out of bed in the morning, so I'm not on my feet..But that really isn't good, a person needs to do weight bearing type exercises..

I'm allergic to chlorine, so that leaves out water exercises..LIke someone said it's a viscious circle. I feel I'm doomed to being this heavy & it makes one feel sluggish & depressed.

I guess all we can do, is what we can do, & pray we don't develope diabetes or heart related probs. siiiigghhh....

Take care everyone..Keep the faith....
    Fifth
  15. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

I've often wondered if I'm absorbing my nutrients, so how did you discover that you were not? Thanks.