Has anyone gone to Anaheim/Disney

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pumpkinpatch, Jun 27, 2007.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

We had 3 NWA free travel vouchers that had to be used by Dec./07 and yesterday I used these to fly to LAX, going to Disney in California nov/07.

We will be staying near the grounds for 2 days then sightseeing along the coast. Any suggestions Disney and the sightseeing?

My son is very excited to go to Disney.

2. mujuer

mujuer New Member

How awesome to have free vouchers. Yea!!!!! I was just down there last Oct. to see my boys (both are in college) and the weather was great. I have fibro and after a day at disney I was in terrible pain. If you are going to go I would think about using a wheelchair for part of the day or just sitting out a few of rides. I had to hit the muscle relaxers that night and the day after.

I used to live there in L.A. twenty some years ago and there is so much to do and and see. It is so hard to recommend anything because there is so much. Since you only have one day for sightseeing, I would say to rent a car and drive up pacific coast hwy. to Malibu. You will see alot on the way. You may also want to veer off and go to Hollywood. Disney is so big, you may just want to stay there and do that for two days so you are not so wore out. Hope this helps. P
  3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Yes, that was to helpful. We are renting a car at LAX and planning to travel around after Disney. Also I'm mailing away a self-addressed envelope hoping to get tickets to Jay Leno's Burbank show. I just phoned and the fellow said my chances are good considering I have lots of time.

I don't do the daredevil rides and won't be good with lots of standing so will probably sit and watch lots at Disney.

We were given the NWA free vouchers at x'mas when we were asked to give up our seats in calgary and get on the next flight. Bonus

4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Took my girls there, wow, can't believe it's been 12 years! We had a wonderful time.

We went to Disneyland and stayed at the Disneyland hotel. It was a package with airfare, car, Disneyland, Knottsberry Farm, Universal Studios and then we drove down to San Diego and went to Sea World, Tiajana, the San Diego Zoo and the wild animal park. Everything was included except food.

I highly recommend the wild animal park if you get that far south. Knottsberry farm was ok, but if we had gone to Disneyland first we would have been disappointed in Knottsberry. Universal is awesome!

Most of the places we went we walked a lot, but I think they have some in the park transportation, too. If we ever get to go again I will use a wheel chair. I was in pretty good shape 12 years ago, but couldn't do it now. Actually wouldn't even try to do all the stuff we did that trip, but it gave us wonderful memories.

One of the things included in our package was a tour of the stars homes and we went to The Tonight show on that tour. Garth Brooks was the guest!

Just remember to eat well and rest often!

Choose joy!
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

A wheelchair is a good idea. Took my father once. The loan of a chair from the park was free, or maybe there was a minimal charge. Can't remember.

Used to take my son back in the 70s. Cost about ten dollars a person back in those days. That included parking, admission and a snack.

Nowdays if you have a family you have to take out a loan.

The other big problem is the crowds just kept getting bigger and bigger. It is common to wait in line an hour for a popular ride. At least that's the way it was in the 80s. Haven't been there for more than 20 years.

Good idea to bring a paperback to read while standing in line.

Hope you have a good time. Say Hi to Mickey for me.
  6. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. We are staying a 2 minute walk to the Main Gate so can leave the car at the hotel. My son is so excited!!

We are going in the off-season so I hope the lineups aren't as long. I definitely couldn't stand for 1 hour. Mind you I had to wait in the Passport lineup for hours! That was an experience in itself.

Yes will say hi to Mickey!!

7. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Yes, I'm quite familiar with Anaheim Disney, as I worked there for a few years long ago. It's good that you'll be going off season, the summer lines are outrageous. Sounds like you have things well planned and you should enjoy yourselves. My only advice would be to plan ahead what you want to see in each "land" so you don't do too much back-tracking and time wasting. Have a wonderful time!!
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

One thing we noticed when we were there was that the people who were in wheel chairs are often moved the front of the line. My girls wanted me to get one even though back in those days I didn't need it!

Choose joy!
  9. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi! How nice that you get to take a vacation soon. I live right in the middle of many of Southern California's attractions, within an hour or hour and fifteen minutes away. My advice for the theme parks (Disney, Sea World, Knott's etc.), is to go on a weekday.

We just went to Sea World yesterday (Thurs.) and had a fantastic time! It gets crowded getting in and out of the shows, you have to be patient as everyone is "herded" out, but other than that, not so bad. At Disneyland, they have a "Fastpass" or "Fasttrack". I think you can get in when you get there, I am not sure about online. (You may want to go online and read about it) Anyways, you check in with it at a particular ride. If the wait is an hour, you can scan your ticket, go do other things and come back.

I see you have a teenage son, me too. Well, my son loves Magic Mountain, it has some huge rollercoasters. It is in Valencia, CA. Don't know if that would be good for you, but just thought I would let you know about it.

If you have any other places you are thinking about going to in Southern California, let me know. I may have been there and can tell you what it is like. Have a great day!
    Kim :)
  10. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Thanks for your info. That "Fasttrak" sounds really good. I will definitely check into that. We will be going on a Friday and Saturday. I understand that the park is open late.

So i understand that this Disney is similar to Florida? i've been to that one a few times. My son will definitely love all the rides including Magic Mountain.

thanks for your offer about other attractions. I just might take you up on that one.

11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Good to hear from you. Well, Magic Mountain is actually a whole other park. It is located in Valencia, CA. I think you thought it might be a rollercoaster at Disney? Or did I misread you? It is actually a large amusement park with many fast rollercoasters. Just wanted to let you know about it.

If you find any other places you want to know about, let me know, maybe I can give you some info. Have a great night! Kim :)
  12. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Disneyland takes a good full day, and I guarantee you’ll be very fatigued after the one day. There’s a lot to do and many stores to shop in. I love going, did it with the children and enjoy it more without little ones! Fun times!

If you have one day to sightsee, I’d recommend:

"There are several beaches guests prefer. One special beach is Huntington Beach. The other popular beaches close to Disneyland include Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. All the beaches are fantastic and each city offers an experience different from the next. Newport Beach has a beautiful harbor that some consider the heart of their beach experience. They also have two piers, a ferry boat ride, boats to Catalina Island, fishing day trips and extreme surfing at The Wedge. Laguna Beach features art galleries galore, including Wyland's gallery (the famous whale and ocean muralist/artist). The beaches are spread throughout neighborhoods in Laguna Beach and are lovely. Laguna offers some great dining choices and diverse shops. Scuba divers can dive off the Laguna coast. Huntington Beach features sand, surf and a huge pier that stretches into the ocean approximately 1/3 mile. Huntington Beach features a downtown shopping and dining area that stretches approximately 5 blocks with shops that cater to mostly a young audience but outdoor dining for all age groups.

What is our favorite beach? We recommend you visit all three. But don't stop there. Also drive north to Seal Beach with its wonderful, old fashioned shopping area. It is the only beach that does not charge parking fees in the downtown area! Then head north to Long Beach's Belmont Shore and new The Pike with The Aquarium of the Pacific. So much to see and do in a span of 40 miles but if you don't stay at one place too long, you can see them all in a single day."

13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I was 8 years old, it was 1955, and Disneyland had just opened. Wow. What a flashback.

It has all changed, of course, but having been to both Anaheim/Orlando, I prefer Anaheim.

Just have a wonderful time. I would advise if you rent a car, get one with a computer gadget that will tell you how to get places. The place is a mess of roads, people, etc.

Just enjoy.

14. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Brings back some memories. Mt Palomar Observatory, and the Planetarium Sky show. The piers.....just walking along and seeing what everyone was catching. Catching crabs(the eating kind) with traps from the piers. Wishing the crabs to walk into your crab trap and not the trap next to it.

La Brea tar pits and museum. The movie Theatre with the Stars' hand prints. San Anita race track. Seeing the halos of flames on tops of deserted hills around Los Angeles for weeks.
    Laguna beach, yes!
    Maybe try to figure away to stay longer!:)
    Your Mr Bill
    (oh, we had terrible fog at night on one visit to Disney land, couldn't see more than ten feet from windshield.)
  15. fivesue

fivesue New Member

What a flashback that is!

I was born and lived my first decade in Escondido, CA. My family used to go camping on Mt. Palomar when I was young. I once left my favorite doll there only to never see her again. Still remember my pain.

I remember a time that we slept outside in our backyard because of the heat...and Mt. Palomar was having a fire that we could see in the distance.

My aunt and uncle bought a cabin there in the 60's...

What nice memories. Thanks for the post.