has anyone got air or gel matresses?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by arod59_2, Aug 25, 2003.

1. arod59_2

arod59_2 New Member

i was wondering if anyone has got help getting a air or gel mattress or some type of bed? thanks
  2. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

One advantage over a conventional mattress is you can adjust the firmness or softness depending on symptoms. Usually you can get them with a 30 day trial period (sometimes longer), so you can figure out whether it would be helpful to you.
  3. Suzan

Suzan New Member

To my regular pillow top mattress. It is two inches thick. I have to say that I slept better right away..and have LESS stiffness in the morning! You can also buy a pillow with this sort of foam, and I am seriously considering that as well. I decided to try this before I got rid of my bed and spent a lot of money to get a new one. I am sure glad that I did. I found it at JCPenneys catalog online for only $45! Twice as much any where else.
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

While in the hosp. end of April from an anaphalectic reaction to morphine (not fun!), I returned home to my shock and disdain...a full hospital bed with a god-aweful blue hulk of a thing on top of it. The doc nastilly told me if I wanted to try to stop the progression of the spinal stenosis et al.I would learn to use the thing or else!

Girlfriend! Now that I am used to "it", I love it. It was hard to get used to and I thought it fal-de-rah about a spinal mattress until I decided to change the sheets then holie-molie! It weights a ton.

All summer my son and his two buddies piled upon it and played videos! Thought it fantastic. Ditto for my gentleman friend. CactusLil'
  5. Twain1973

Twain1973 New Member

I have tried a variety of inexpensive additions to my mattress and have found that a really good featherbed makes a huge difference in my quality of sleep. Having a really soft sleeping surface has eased my sholder pain a great deal. I still have trouble with sleep but it's better than before.

Good luck!
    Amy
  6. FM58

FM58 New Member

My husband bought the aerobed mattress topper. You can adjust each side accordingly. It is much more comfortable than a traditional mattress - however I don't think I am necessarily sleeping any longer. I sleep, but still wake up throughout the night.

Actually there are less "stress points" on my body when I do get up in morning, so I am not as stiff. He bought it through e-bay rather than the manufacturer, much less expensive that way. I like its comfort & the adjustability.

Hope you find something you like!

Patty