has anyone got FM after a flu shot

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosetta, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

After being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, one begins to think back at to what might have caused this to happed. I took a flu shot in November-December of 2000 at work. I was contacted by the nurse at work and she told me the flu shots that I had received was not up to strength and that if I wanted, I could take another one. She said that the flu vaccine that the company received was not up to strength and that the shot I took probably would not prevent the flu. I deceided against taking another shot and a few weeks later started getting sick. I got so sick that in January I missed two weeks work. I was sick with a upper respiratory infection that would not go away. Three times I came back to work only to be sent home by my boss because of the deep cough and fever. He could see that I was still very sick. I could not believe what was happening because within three days I could usually get over anything. Even when I returned to work I was so fatigue that I could barly last thru the day. I would go home and go straight to bed and on weekins I would stay in bed. I could not do any housework, cook or shopping. During lunch I would close the door to my office and lay down in the floor. I finally had to quit my job and then was diagnosed with FM.
  2. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

After being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, one begins to think back at to what might have caused this to happed. I took a flu shot in November-December of 2000 at work. I was contacted by the nurse at work and she told me the flu shots that I had received was not up to strength and that if I wanted, I could take another one. She said that the flu vaccine that the company received was not up to strength and that the shot I took probably would not prevent the flu. I deceided against taking another shot and a few weeks later started getting sick. I got so sick that in January I missed two weeks work. I was sick with a upper respiratory infection that would not go away. Three times I came back to work only to be sent home by my boss because of the deep cough and fever. He could see that I was still very sick. I could not believe what was happening because within three days I could usually get over anything. Even when I returned to work I was so fatigue that I could barly last thru the day. I would go home and go straight to bed and on weekins I would stay in bed. I could not do any housework, cook or shopping. During lunch I would close the door to my office and lay down in the floor. I finally had to quit my job and then was diagnosed with FM.
  3. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I never really thought about it until now. It was 1999-2000. Around December of 99 that I had a flu shot. I thought the fibro couldve came on because of a house fire, and the tragedy of it all-that was Nov. of that year. But now thinking back, I too had the flu shot around that time.Then in December,January, it all came on-the fibro symptoms. I thought too it couldve been the holiday stress as a factor also. Maybe it could be it weakened the system,the flu shot. Its what broke the camels back? so to say..

Interesting to think about it. Thanks for sharing it.

Sunshyne