Has anyone gotten better with Thyroid medicine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaneSmith, Sep 19, 2008.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I was just on You Tube and there were a couple of doctors speaking about getting on a trial program of taking natural thyroid supplements to see if that is the under-lying cause of Fibro. I'm thinking of asking my doctor. Your thoughts?

Thank you to all who added their thoughts to this post.[This Message was Edited on 09/20/2008]
  2. magicmermaid

magicmermaid New Member

i was diagnosed as underactive long before i took fibro but the symptons are similar. i am taking thyroxine but i would love to try armour.
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Me too...I been on thyroid medication for years prior to the onset of the FM symptoms. I wonder if some doctor try it because the symptoms are so similar.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Hi, I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism way before I had this DD.

When it was discovered that my thyroid was low, I had not had any symptoms.

Others have reported symptoms, so I guess it depends on the individual.

Once I accidently took my thyroid medication twice (this is why I now have a weekly pill despenser.) and by the end of the day I was so nervous plus my heart was beating fast and skipping beats.

Have you had your thyroid tested. If you have it tested make sure you get all the test and not just the TSH, which is really only a screening.

Take care.
  5. KimWeb

KimWeb New Member

I took a compounded dose for 3 years. At first it did nothing but about 6 month into it I thought this is it I have found the answer and about 6 months ago I started to experience extreme joint pain and fatigue. SOmething told me to stop the compounded pill and the knee pain went away by 90%.
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I understand that they are discontinuing Armour. Why they'd stop making a drug that helps so many people is beyond me.

When you say "natural thyroid" is Armour what you mean or is it something else? I want to be prepared just in case.

My current-but-not-for-long doctor won't prescribe Armour because "it gives false readings". I've read that thryroid is a hard thing to measure, period, because it fluxuates hourly depending on many things.

I have little FM but lots of CFS which would lead me to believe thyroid could be a big contributor. I had thyroiditis years ago.

Thanks and good luck,
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I've been on Armour 60 mgs. for almost 6 years now, and have had fibro for 23 years. My thyroid was off from the beginning, but I could not convince docs to treat me until I went to an Integrated medicine doc. Now that the normal TSH ranges have been changed, my PCP gives it to me.

Armour has probably helpd more than any other single thing, but is not a cure by any means, at least not for me.

There is a severe shortage of Armour right now, esp. the higher doses, and my doc says she thinks they will stop making it. However, my pharmacy told me it is a packaging issue and should be resolved by November 2008.

Meanwhile, no drugstores in my city of 115,000 have any of it, so I had to get it online at drugstore.com. which takes at least two weeks to deliver.

I tried Synthroid once, and my TSH jumped more than a whole point on the equivalent dose to my Armour. I want my Armour! It has all 7 components of what your body makes, while Synthroid only has one.

This is a timely post because I just sent an email to the manufacturer of Armour earlier today, asking if they are going to discontinue making it, and if they answer, I will let you know.

8. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

My symptoms have not gone away 100%, but I do feel better since taking Armour. I take 90 mg daily. My thyroid treatement started with Levoxyl (synthroid basically) and didn't make me feel better at all. The Armour got me to the point where I didn't have to nap every weekend and I could be more productive. I still crash, though, and deal with chronic infections, so not a cure for my CFS.

I heard they were just running low on certain dosages of Armour because they were refining their manufacturing process and should be fully back up to speed shortly, not discontinuing it. I know A LOT of people who would be protesting outside their headquarters if that ever happened! lol

9. margo60

margo60 New Member

I'm really glad to see this post ...
    Read a lot of discussions about low thyroid and the meds to treat it with.

Went to a new Dr. who ordered lots of blood tests incl. thyroid. I have always felt I had low thyroid even though the tests came back normal over the years.

My fatigue over the past has now come to a high point, have to do something about it or I will end up bedridden.
    Feel like a steam engine that completely ran out of steam ..

Do insurances cover Armour and compounded thyroid meds.
    Which one is more expensive, and how much are they ??

Thanks for the reply in advance,
    Soft Hugs to all ...