Has Anyone Had A CT Scan Of Their Sinuses?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 27, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am suppose to have a CT Scan of my sinuses in the morning.

Just wondering if any of you have had one of the sinuses, I have had CT's before but never one of the sinus. I have read you have to lie on your stomach with chin up, when I do this I get dizzy so a little scared of the position.

I had a 6 hr vertigo attack Thursday and still have ear fullness, off balance and a dizzy at times so wondering if I could do this.

Thanks and God Bless,

2. Juloo

Juloo Member

It was only slightly uncomfortable, but it was over pretty quick. I didn't have vertigo when I had the CT, though, so not sure how that would affect you. Tell the technician, and I'm sure they'll try to work with you.

The CT was critical toward finding out what the structural problems were with my sinuses.

Hope it all goes well!
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your reply, what position were you in could you describe it so I will know what to expect.

God Bless,
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

One of my use to be good friends is the one that will be doing my CT. After talking to her don't think I will go.

She said I would have to lie flat with my head tilted back, I tried that twice and became so dizzy I just don't think I can do it.

My anxiety is so bad I am not thinking right. I know I may become dizzy and have to have help lying down and getting up and will be dizzy for awhile. So why in the heck is this simple procedure freaking me out?

Thanks, needed to vent.
  5. I have a bad neck and it is uncomfortable but sooo quick.
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

It was as another post described: I had to lie down on a flat horizontal surface on my stomach, with my arms at my sides. Then I had to look forward, so that my chin was on the mat -- it's been a long time, but it is possible that they put a rolled up towel alongside my head to help.

I really remember two things about it -- first, that I felt like I was gritting my teeth in this position, and second, I felt like a dolphin, coming up for air!

But it was quick!
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

I think I might could handle this in my stomach, not sure, but here they put you on your back and then tilt your head way back, I just can't do it not even with the xanax.

I have practiced today with my husbands help, he thinks I am completely nuts.

Looks like I am not going, until I can get control over my anxiety.

Its not exactly dizzy just like the inside of my head is full and off balance. Heck I don't know what is wrong but it sure has put me in a depressed, anxious state all I can do is cry.

My ears feel full, pressure and ringing , I actually thought there were crickets in the house.

I am not a doc but think it is a sinus infection that has gone to my ears or something terrible wrong with me.

I am such a whimp,
  8. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

You might need to go ahead and grin and bear it, even if it's unbearable, especially if your doc thinks it's really necessary. Just keep something to barf in nearby. Scream if you need to. And then it will be over, and your doc. might have some good information!

I went through chemo, and it was totally completely unbearable. But I managed. I also had a Spinal Tap at one time, and many people would never do that.

So I think you can do it. Hey, you can always try, and if it doesn't work, just stop. Find out the specifics though.

Actually, the more I think about it, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have a CT scan done of my sinuses. I have my four-month long winter cold again.
  9. Lindaanne

Lindaanne New Member

DON'T DO IT. Cat scans have a very high level of radiation. It is 50 times the radiation of a chest xray. In the past few months there was a big thing in the news about the extremely high levels of radiation for a cat scan and DRs are just learning the dangers of this. Get an MRI instead totally safe. I had one years ago and never again. I didn't know any better.
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for your replies.

Well, I didn't make it this morning, to scared and felt so bad.

I had a sinus x-ray about 2 years ago all was ok. I may have the CT after I get over this sinus infection or whatever.

I have these spells , vertigo, ear fullness, off balance, the ENT said sinus infection and when I take the antibiotic I feel better for awhile. I think,

This was a new doc so will just wait and see.

Don't know why I am so afraid of everything. Guess its this horrible anxiety got to get it under control.

Went once to have a MRI and Paniced couldn't have it so had the head CT which wasn't bad at all. The one with the sinus position on my back with my head tilted makes me so panicy I think more than dizzy.

God Bless and thanks so much,
  11. Lindaanne

Lindaanne New Member

They have what they call stand up MRIS now. Not bad at all. You really sit for them but they are very comfortable to do.