has anyone had a emg/ncv

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allhart, Sep 16, 2002.

1. allhart

allhart New Member

i just got back from my neuro he says he thinks i have neve damge in both my feet and lower legs and left arm he going to do a emg/ncv on the 24 anyone know where i can find more info ?
    thanks much
    kara
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

i just got back from my neuro he says he thinks i have neve damge in both my feet and lower legs and left arm he going to do a emg/ncv on the 24 anyone know where i can find more info ?
    thanks much
    kara
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

use these electtrobes and that it shouldn't hurt. But, If they do do it tomorrow I will try and remember to write you and let you know. Did you try to use the search function here? Just type it in one at a time. like EMG also serach on the web the same way.

Good luck, Kim
  4. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

Kara,
    I have had an EMG/NCV. They attach electrodes to specific muscle and nerve groups and send a small electrical impulse to force the group to "jump" and this "jump" is captured on the monitored and measured. I found this to be an uncomfortable experience, probably cuz of my sensitive pain levels. They also stuck needles into my large muscle groups and ask you to contract the group, again to capture on the monitor and measure. I found this to even more uncomfortable. Of course, all my tests were negative!

I hope it goes well for you! LisaMay
  5. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I had it done about 4 years ago. The doctor was very patient and would stop and let me catch my breath, but it is probably the worst test I have had so far. I always said I wouldn't ever go through that again, but if I had to I suppose I would. He was able to tell alot from the test. Re:what nerves are damaged, carple tunnel syndrome etc. It only last about an hour so you know you won't have to do it again for a long time. It is painful at least it was for me. My mother had it done several times and said it wasn't that bad, so I guess it depends on how much pain you can tolorate.
    Anyway, good luck, you will live through it.
    CindyP
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I had that EMG done about a year ago......was'nt too bad for me.I had it done to my left arm so they put the electrode thingamajigs all up my arm into the neck area(right from my fingertips on up).Then they give your muscles a little shock which makes the muscle jump.For me it did'nt hurt,(just an uncomfortable feeling-not pain!)I think it took a good 25 minutes or so.Don't worry about it....its not bad...piece of cake!
    good Luck~
    Tracey
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

No pain for me. The nurologist said I have Carpal Tunnel in both hands and now he said that part can be treated with PT. The doctor told me that it depends on how they do the test and one at a time.

Good luck to you, Kim
  8. allhart

allhart New Member

thanks for response im more worried about the results then the pain i think
    kim im glad to hear that your was pretty pain free sorry about your wrist ill keep you in my prayers that the pt dose grate
  9. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I had a couple of them done in the last 20yrs..It all depends on the dr..Yes, they were uncomfortable for me, & would not look forward to more, but would go, if I had to..
    My Nuero. did my last couple and he is pretty good, so I sit there and tell him jokes and stuff to keep my mind off off of it..Best of Luck to you..........Donna