Has anyone had a nerve conduction test?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Mar 5, 2007.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi There:

My Dr. wants me to have a nerve test as I have been having my hand and shoulder go numb when I'm sleeping. I've had problems with my wrists on and off for the past several years(kind've a carpal tunnel thing).

Can anyone tell me what these tests are and what they're like?

Thanks in advance,

Eileen
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

is this the one they stick needles in and zap your nerve?if so then yes and it is not fun good luck charlene
  3. it does sound like the one that they do stick needles in different areas of where your hurting and turn a machine on that does seem to zap you, it only hurts quickly (I hate needles) and is not fun as the above poster said. I have had this done a couple times and they never seemed to find anything.
  4. 143alan

143alan New Member

Hi CanBrit!
    I've had carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands and had to have the nerve conduction tests done on each. I know it's different for everyone. I didn't have a problem with the one on my wrists. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't comfortable either. However, now I have to have them done on my legs because I have nerve damage following back surgery. I've heard of people having those done and all have said they are extremely painful so I'm not looking foward to it and may cancel the appt. It was presumptuous of my pain doctor to even order the test after I told her I would "think" about it. There are other, less painful tests that give the same results.

Good luck, Oh BTW on the tests done on my wrists they never stuck needles in me. They stuck little electrodes like they use for EKGs on certain places on my arm and then sent electrical impulses through them. They did stick me once with something and it made a nasty black and blue place.

Take Care
    Nancy
  5. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

When I went in for mine they put a patch on you in certain areas they poke you with a needle that sends a short quick shock to your nerve it sends signals between the patches to see how your nerve responds. so yes they do hurt but only momentarially. They never found any thing wrong on mine another test that seems to come back normal for FM/CFS PATIENTS.

hoping they find what's wrong with your arm. Brenda
  6. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi eileen---i've had a couple and they really aren't that bad--they don't take long, and considering what we live with daily, just one more annoyance, only temporary! The doctor is looking for causes such as radiculopathy (often a cerv. spine compression problem) and it will also show the different "spikes" and elevations, with how much time in between,(please excuse my mental state--can't think of words today) which will sometimes show evidence of a neuromuscular problem. Mine had some abnormalities but nothing specific (isn't that just the story of our lives!), while the neuro. doing it was very rattled with it and said that i must go to the big city for further studies (single fiber), he then reported it as "non specific abnorm. and clinical correlation if symptoms persist" sorry so spacy today--L
  7. phant0m3

phant0m3 New Member

I had one done on my legs. By the time one leg was done, I didn't think I could do the next! The needle gets more painful (at least for me) as the test progressed, but I lived through it! The worst part for me was after it was done. I kept feeling the "electrical pulses" running through my legs for days.....very painful!

I wouldn't have one done again.

Susan
  8. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have had several EMGs and nerve conduction studies because of a genetic muscle disease. One doctor was so barbaric I thought he was trying to electrocute me, but a female physiatrist who did my last study was very gentle and didn't turn up the current like the men. It was a little uncomfortable (kind of like touching an electric fence) but certainly bearable and nothing like my other tests.

The small shocks will be delivered up a nerve pathway...for the numbness you described they will be checking the radial, ulnar and medial nerves to see where the impingement/entrapment might be. In my case what was originally diagnosed as carpal tunnel syndrome actually turned out to be a herniated disc in my neck from a whiplash injury. That is why they need to send the electrical impulses up a nerve and get the response back...the source of the injury isn't always obvious.

Some tips...get plenty of sodium/salt before the test. That will help lessen resistance and will make the sensation less painful. Do deep breathing and visualization during the testing. Don't focus on anticipating the shocks. (They are usually a series of shocks that increase in intensity.) Your muscles may twitch or cramp up and that's common.

It's really not that bad - the needles are very small like acupuncture needles so don't worry about that part. They may hit a blood vessel and cause a little bruising and if the placement is really uncomfortable, just ask them to move it.

Jan

9. debhun

debhun New Member

yes I didn't like it very will but not as painfull as our DD is.
  10. pocahontas606

pocahontas606 New Member

i found it to be very uncomfortable... i thought it hurt but i am not good at tolerating pain either. the part that was hard was when i had to to the flex/contraction part to send the signal.... i had to do a lot of yoga breathing - in and out through your nose only - that helped to relax my system somewhat.

it's over pretty quick though... hope all goes well
  11. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I'm having it done this Thursday! Thanks for posting this your helping me too! I went on line and searched images to see what I was getting into and it looks like the little pad things on a tens unit...
    Good luck!
  12. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Yes, I had it done. It wasn't too bad. They didn't find anything wrong.

Have you had your heart checked as well? Could be a circulation problem.

Sofi
  13. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Charlenef,fibrobutterfly,manager,minkanyrose,obrnic,phant0m3,rockyjs,debhun,pocahontas606,dononagin,hope4sofia.

Thanks for the info. I always prefer to have a bit of knowledge going in to something. I should be able to generate the shocks myself the way I can cause static electricity!

Good luck to you dononagin. Maybe we can compare notes afterwards!

Hope4sofia, I tend to have very low blood pressure and I believe I have a slightly enlarged left ventrical that occurred due to untreated hypothyroidism. I think my next physical, I'll have my Dr throw in an ECG. He certainly doesn't slack on the blood work he puts me through.

Interestingly enought, since I was put on MS Contin on the weekend, I haven't had numbness since???? Who knows with this condition.

Regards to all

Eileen

14. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

Everyone reacts differently. My dr hit a nerve center of some sort and it made me scream at the top of my lungs "GET IT OUT" over and over until it was out. Then I hyperventilated because the pain was so horrific. I had NEVER hyperventilated before in my life!

Some folks say it didn't hurt at all and some have mild discomfort. Good luck I hope you have a pain free experience!
  15. Cycie

Cycie New Member

Yes Count me in,had carpal tunnel syndrome and before the op had to have the NCT, I found it didn't hurt, no needles only the lil sticky patch thingys, if they leave the impulse on too long it can be uncomfortable, but nothing to get into a sweat over.

I had both hands operated on at the same time and it wasn't too bad, just take one day at a time and if you have the Op, make sure when you come outta surgery start moving your fingers, the sooner the better.

Take care and Good Luck
    cycie
  16. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

I have had the test on my legs -in the Hospital, and I told the Technician to Stop, it was killing me. The needles were hurting like a Bitch. I was crying. She didn't stop - so oooppppsss, by accident she got kicked with my other legs. It was honestly a reaction from the Pain. With my Fibro. NO ONE CAN TOUCH MY LEGS.

Two years ago, my Neurologist sent me to the NCT again for my hands, wrist and arms. They were/and still are numb, tingling, burning and in pain. I went through the Nerve Conducting Test again - although it really killed me with the needled, pins and shocks, it was not as bad as the test on my legs. This is when my Neurologist diagnosed me with Cuppel Tunnel and wanted to do surgery immediately on my right side - heal up - them my left. No way, with only a fifty-fifty chance of recovery.

The other
    Eileen

17. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Yes I had a nerve conduction test that was normal, even though I have numb area in my right leg and foot. My pain doctor said this problem often comes from the spine. He ordered a MRI of my lumbar spine (with contrast) to make sure it is not caused by a lesion on the spine, or some other spinal problem.

You might ask your doctor if a MRI or your cervical spine might also be something to do.
  18. lookingoutthewindow

lookingoutthewindow New Member

I have had these done 3 times. They only diagnosed a problem once. The doctor didn't take it seriously. I ended up having 2 major surgeries on my neck within a year. The doctors kept saying it was the FM, but it wasn't. It was a pinched nerve. Good luck. I hope your Dr takes the results seriously. The first time was painful. The last 2 times they were done by a Neurologist and were not as bad.
  19. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Ok had the test yesterday. My hands were not that bad. There is enough of an impulse to jerk your hand but it is tolerable and doesn't last that long. My feet however was another story! OUCH!!

They just used like sticky pads with sensors. Each test on the feet was 60 seconds - 2 each foot

The hands aren't as long.. You will get through it. Don't lose any sleep over it it's not that horrible!
    Hugs!
  20. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have had bad back pain and a substitute Dr. prescribed it for me. On one portion of my left leg, nothing happened and that showed there was a definite back problem.

I don't remember it as being bad at all. The only diagnosis was spinal stenosis and I was sent to the pain clinic. Nothing that Dr. did, and there were 3 different things at different times, helped soooo. i just go on with back hurting.

It was just pads on my legs and slight shocks and it was nothing to be afraid of. Right??

gentle Hugs