Has anyone had a sleep study done?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by damz68, Jan 25, 2006.

1. damz68

damz68 New Member

I just made an appt. for a sleep study and was wondering what to expect. Actually I am a little nervous about it.

I really feel like my sleep issues are a big part of why I feel so foggy. Back when I did work, I miss those days, there were many times when I had to work late into the night and return the following morning. I always felt so foggy those days. My senses were not clear on those days, just like today.

2. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

On Friday night. They suspect obstructive sleep apnea. I will let you know how it goes for him.

The lady I spoke with when I registered him said that the room looks like a hotel room. He will be going there at 8:30 Friday night. When he gets there they have him sign a paper and then watch a video and then he gets in his jammies. After that they hook him up to all the wires and stuff and she said he can sit in bed and watch TV until he is ready to go to sleep.

She said they try to make it as relaxing as possible and she sounded really nice.

It is such an important test to take because unrestorative sleep can cause so many life-threatening health issues. (DUH! I think we all know that one really well, LOL)

When is your test?
  3. damz68

damz68 New Member

but my first appt. is 2/14. I cant believe they accepted medicaid.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2006]
  4. anakinkaid

anakinkaid New Member

Greetings,

I had a large sleep study done. Nothing to fear - just wires to get used to...sort of like a lot of hair rolls hanging loose. What is most interesting are the results.

I had trouble sleeping through the night. What they found was that just before I went into deep sleep (the most restful period) my brain kicked into hyperactive and I wake up.

After my test, I went to a sleep workshop and learned alot of tehniques of what to do to head that off at the pass and get a better night's sleep for my body.

All of it helped a great deal. I learned to sleep better BUT the CFS still leaves me tired, a fatigue that sleep can't ease. I learned to seperate the two issues which reduced the stress (hurrah) somewhat for me.

Talk with your doctor - the study should be a a positive experience.

Best Regards,
    Ana
  5. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

feb 6th, is consultation, then i'll find out when it will be done. i'm very curious too.
  6. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I had one last year and was precribed CPAP which wasn't effective, I chose to go for the surgery which didn't help.

I went for the follow up sleep study 2 weeks ago and it showed that I do not achieve stage 3, 4 or REM sleep. ?

Haven't followed up with the doc yet, but I'm sooooo exhausted all the time.

Good luck with your study, for the most part people who are prescribed CPAP treatment usually do very well.
  7. betsboop

betsboop New Member

i had a sleep study done..i felt i didn't sleep much becaue the rooms weren't sound proof and the man in the room next door realllllllly snored loudly aLL night long..guess i did sleep because they told me that my sleep apnea was within the normal range..nothing more was ever done..
  8. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

It wasn't too bad - just hard to fall asleep for me with all the wires (I am a stomach sleeper). They said I don't go into deep, restful sleep at all. Good luck with yours. AMY
  9. damz68

damz68 New Member

So what will they do for you if they see that you are not going into a deep sleep. I already know that I am not acheiving that deep sleep.

Will they at least presribe lunesta/ambian?
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Like everyting at Kaiser it was done as cheap as possible. They have a drive-thru lane.

Just kidding; Haha.

Seems to me I posted about this before. Must've been somewhere else. Who can tell when one has terminal brain fog.

It was not overnight; just a couple hours in the afternoon. Hooked up to some wires; drifted off into a very light sleep. When I was semi-awake the technician came into the room and unhooked me. Never got any results from Kaiser as my employer changed HMOs.

I read the reason sleep doesn't refresh us is that even when we are asleep, we have brain waves like people who are awake.

Nothing to be worried about.
  11. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I don't know how I would do a sleep study, unless they let you do it during the day. I can't ever seem to go to sleep before 4am. But I am well known to be up untill 9am. Thats with sleep meds. I wonder if they do studys during the day?

Joy
  12. jane32

jane32 New Member

and how much do they cost? I am assuming insurance covers a big portion of the test.
  13. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

100% of my sleep study. As for not getting any deep sleep, I was told there was nothing they could do for this - there are meds to put you to sleep but not any to ensure a deep sleep (I have no problem falling & staying asleep) They just said to limit activities that require alertness such as driving. AMY
  14. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I had a sleep study. They offered me an Ambien to help me sleep. If you are able to sleep they are better able to determine if you have sleep apnes.

You will be sent a questionaire to fill out. One of the questions that really made me think and worry was DO you Dream? I hadn't thought about that in a long time and realized I was no longer dreaming at night. The sleep study showed I was getting zero REM sleep and very little stage 3/4 sleep. No wonder I wasn't dreaming anymore. I think I got stage 3/4 sleep during the sleep study because of the Ambien - it did knock me out.

The sleep study did determine I had severe obstructive sleep apnea. I started on the CPAP machine just before Thanksgiving and I've adjusted to sleeping with it. I wish I could say it's solved all my sleep problems, but it hasn't because the FMS pain still disrupts my sleep so I wake up tired and have restless nights. The morning fatigue is slowly improving and isn't as severe as it use to be, but it's still a problem.

The main problem I had during the sleep study was after being all hooked up and tucked into bed the technician left to check in the next patient and said she wouldn't be avl for over an hour. At that point I realized how confining the sheets and blankets were - they were tucked in way to tight aroung my feet. It felt like I was in a straight jacket. At that point the technician was busy and because I was hooked up to all the wires I couldn't untuck the sheets and comforter to get more comfortable. The rest of the night I felt too drugged from the Ambien to ask for help to fix the problem.

Good luck with your sleep study.

Jeanette
  15. elsa

elsa New Member

One of the best things we ever did in treating CFS/FMS. The room really did look like a hotel, with a comfortable bed and decent sheets .... if you can believe that for a hospital.

I took my own pillow .... Which they encourage. Bring some over night things and wear some comfy sweatpants or PJ's you don't mind being seen in but still real comfortable.

I had a private bath and my insurance covered the complete cost.

The techs where very nice, informative and tried very hard to make me feel comfortable.

I think you will be surprised to find that you really do fall asleep even with all the wires. The are attached to your head .... they don't hurt, but in all honesty here .. not my favorite thing to sleep in, LOL.

My doctor gave me the choice as to whether I wanted to take my bedtime sleep meds .... I decided not to. I wanted to know how my sleep was without help.

Just like a huge number of us I have Alpha Intrusion ... which is just as described above .... the more activity brain waves intruding upon the deepwave or delta wave sleep. Either taking it out completely or in my case reducing my deep wave by about 50%.

My other surprising result is that I was getting ZERO REM sleep which has it own set of problems ... interestingly, cognitive problems is one of them.

I was "sprung" from my sleep hotel no later then 6AM and took it easy the rest of the day. My doctor called me himself late that same afternoon with the results.

With those results we could really pin-point which sleep medications would help me the best.

Any and all medications that influence .... reduce ... suppress REM sleep stage where removed or put on a list of "never takes". There are so many rx'es that do this .... many of the muscle relaxers all SSRI's, Tricyclic AD's, and ambien.

I was put on 2mgs lunesta .... not long after that I hit early remission. (I had already addressed the immune system and infections, and nutritional deficiencies.)

I thatnk my stars above for that sleep study. Conversely, I walked around mad as a hornet for a while too. Sleep disorders ... especially Alpha Intrusion have been known as a cornerstone of CFS/FMS for sometime now.

Why in the world didn't my doctor (who I love most of the time, LOL) order this thing right after he diagnosed me. I couldn't help but think of all the time lost that didn't have to be .....

Try not to worry about this. The tech's have seen it all ... you won't be the first patient hooked up to wires looking less then your best .... I am 100% certain they have seen .... at least 20 times ... every embarrassing scenario you can come up with ... you know ... what if I dream about this _________ fill in the blank .... while they are watching me?!?!?!

No worries ... if you get alittle antsy, just keep remembering that you are going to shortly feel so much better.

Sleep hygiene is a wonderful thing and great for us to practice every night. However, it is not enough to battle CFS/FMS. Be sure you walk away from this with rx medication that is created for sleep problems and effective. There are several members here who have had great success with xyrem.

Keep us posted on how it goes ....

Take care,

Elsa
  16. Nancy

Nancy New Member

I've had two sleep studies since being diagnosed with fibro four years ago. First sleep study showed I had Central and Obstructive sleep apnea. I switched from Duragesic patches to oxycodone to see if the Central sleep apnea (where you just stop breathing until your brain tells you to start again...scary stuff for me) would be affected. The second test did show that getting off the Durageic patches did eliminate most of the central but not obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep doctor told me that 90% of fibromyalgia patients have sleep disruptions..especially the Alpha wave intrusion...meaning our brains never fully go to "sleep". Our brains are still "alert" even though the body is sleeping. No wonder we're exhausted! Sleep doctor said that there is no treatment for this as of yet. He recommended the CPAP mask/machine for me. I couldn't adjust to it...felt like I was being suffacated. The 2nd test I took was pretty bad for me since I was adjusting to much lower doses of pain meds. I actually yelled at the tech in the middle of the night when he tried to come in and adjust the wires under my nose...a patient in pain and sleep deprived is not something to mess with! Good luck with your test. Nothing scary about it.. hint: take your own pillow for best comfort.
  17. damz68

damz68 New Member

that helped a lot!

Thanks to everyone else who posted also.
  18. jane32

jane32 New Member

So what Dr. do you see?General or neurologist?
  19. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

I go for a sleep study next week, and my dr. said I could take Klonopin if I can't sleep. He said he'd probably prescribe Xyrem if study shows the brain wave intrusion.
    Question: I sleep on my side. Can you do this during the study, or is it back only?