HAS ANYONE HAD ADULT "CRADLE CAP" IN THEIR SCALP? PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by JLH, Jan 21, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

My scalp problems started about 6 or 8 months ago.

If I remember correctly, they started as small blisters, or pimples....I couldn't really see well enough to tell the difference!

After my comb running over them, scratching my scalp lightly, washing my hair, etc., they kind of formed into sores.

My regular dr. said to rotate shampooing with Head & Shoulders, Dermarest psorosis shampoo, and a coal tar shampoo (can't remember name--it's by Neutrogena). It has not helped.

The last few months, my scalp has form a white crust over the portion that is affected. I have only one huge spot (the size of the palm of my hand) on top of my head.

My general dr. didn't know what it was--just told me to shampoo daily, rotating the abovementioned shampoos. He said he did not think it was scalp psoriosis because it was not behind my ears--just on top of my head.

My rheumy said he did not think it was an outbreak of my Lupus (I have the systemic type)-- that it just looked like a baby's cradle cap!

Anyway ... the rheumy got me an appt. with a dermatologist, but it's not for another month.

I will put cream on it before I go to bed, and when I get up, I will take a fine-tooth comb and scrape, or scratch, all of the "crud" out of my scalp, then shampoo. Then my scalp is literly raw and burns. Then the next morning, the white patchy, scaley stuff is back!!

Has anybody experienced this, or know of anybody who has? If so, how can I get rid of this stuff!!! It is driving me crazy!!!

P.S. I remember when my children were babies, a couple of them had cradle cap, and I put baby oil on it to soften it up, then combed it out (all like I am doing to my own head), then shampooed, and it would be gone in a short period of time. Well, I can't get rid of it!

I need some advice on how to get rid of this irritating stuff!!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have a friend with Lupus who had something which sounds very similar to this. I know Lupus, even the systemic type, can affect the skin. Good luck to you. Her docs could offer no help to her on this and I don't know whether it ever cleared up or not.

Love, Mikie
  3. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

My husband had a place on his scalp kinda like you are describing but....was only one small spot.

The doctor told him the same to use the different shampoos.
    It never did help!!

But...someone had told him to use "TEA TREE OIL" on the spot and it helped to clear it up!!

But...from what you are describing yours seem's to be more severe...you might want to try the teatree oil but...because im not sure exactly what this is coming from I would ask my doctor first..

If nothing else...the teatree oil should help with the irratation but call an ask your doc..first

Sorry I couldnt be of more help...I know this has to be irratating. But the dermatologist should be able to clear this up.

Hope you get some kinda relief...until you get to the dermatologist. Hope others here can give you more info.

GOD BLESS

((HUGS))
    ~Tammy~

P.S. I dont know if i would be scraping at your scalp if its causing it to burn and be more irratated..Could cause futher infection. Check into the teetree oil and i would just wash your hair gently massgeing.

[This Message was Edited on 01/22/2005]
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I believe you may have a yeast infection on your scalp. I have diabetes and I get them in small spots off and on. It is a red place with a crust on top and my entire head will itch badly.

I have gotten relief from using the OTC shampoo called Nizoral. You can get it at most places like Walmart, etc.

I have to warn you that a side effect of this shampoo is slight hair loss. But the relief is well worth it.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Cat
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

BlueRose: Where do they sell Tea Tree Oil at? Does it ever clear it up for good?

Also, I'm still wondering how I got this on my scalp. I've never had anything like this before!

Cat & Kat-e: I'm going to ask the dermatologist about the yeast infection. I know I get yeast infections under the folds of my skin (stomach and breasts) during the hot months.

I am a diabetic and it's hard to get those rashes cleared up!

I guess I shouldn't get trying to scrape the cradle cap stuff off of my scalp, but I guess I think it will go away for good for a while! But it never does!

I'm going to try some of the Nizoral shampoo. I certainly hope it doesn't cause hair loss, because this stuff is already causing some hair loss, and I don't have much to lose anymore! My hair is very, very fine and thin anyway.

Thanks again for your replies, and if anyone else has any suggestions, I would love to hear them, too!

jlh
  6. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I think you have fungal infection on your scalp! I would try Desenx cream and see if that helps. If it is Fungal infection that will clear it up fast. I got sores on my chin and they were like blisters and when they broke they spread all over. Nothing the Dr gave me helped. I had a tube of Desenx in the medicine chest and I thought--this will stop the itching. Well it cleared it up in 2 days. I had dozens of prescription ointments and nothing worked but Desenx cream. It's worth a try anyway!! Another thing someone mentioned was yeast infection,which is much the same as fungal infection. You might want to ask your Dr for Nystatin powder; I use 1/8 tsp. in water orally each day.That helps the yeast in your system (Candida).Use the Desenx first and see if it helps. Then try Nystatin Powder if that don't work.
    Hugs Shirley
  7. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

Jlh,

your condition sounds severe so i'm not sure if this is the way to go for you, but anyone with a dry, flakey scalp should try rinsing for 30 seconds with mouth wash after shampooing. i've had dry scalp problems since i was a kid and i know how frustrating it is that we can put men on the moon but can't defeat dandruff! the mouth wash remedy only came to me a few days ago, but the first time i used it, i was free from flakes and itching for 72 hours. it has something to do with ingredients in mouth wash that address the fungal issue. who knew?!

Eddie
  8. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

As Sherby130 had stated...you should be able to find the teatree oil at walmart in the vitamin section.

Im not sure if you have a "SALLY"S" where you live..but this is where I found it also. Sally's sells hair products, lotions an vitamins for your skin. Also most health food stores would probably sell it as well, as most of the time they carry skin & vitamin products also.

As for my husband the teatree oil did help in clearing it up..but...in the winter months he tends to get a very dry scalp every year.

Hope this helped some & hope you get relief soon!
    As Sherby130 was saying do a search on the teetree oil!

God Bless
    ((hugs))
    Tammy
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for your replies.

Eddie: do you mean to rinse your HAIR with mouthwash after shampooing? How in the world did you think of this? Would the alcohol in the mouthwash make my scalp burn on the really irritated portions?

Tammy: I think there is a Sally's store in a larger city, around a 1-1/2 hr. drive from me, but I don't go there very often. I'll have to look and see if there is another store of that type closer. I thought you had to have a beautician's license to buy products there? Is that not the case any more?

I am going to research the Tea Tree Oil, as well as buy some Nizoral shampoo, and some Desenex. I am going to work down the list trying each thing until I find something that works!!! LOL

Hopefully, I will find something that works before my dermatologist appointment arrives!
  10. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

I have had problems with a flaky scalp and found Selsen Blue to be really effective. I am not advocating it's use, just reporting that it was effective for me after trying things from Nizoral, Neutrogena, health food store shampoo products and Tea Tree oil.

JLH, please be careful using Tea Tree oil and read the bottle carefully. This is a great product when used correctly, but with your scalp as raw as it is, it may not be appropriate. I tried Tea Tree oil and it was not helpful and actually may have made my condition worse because it further dried out my scalp. I would suggest you give some of the other products a go before trying the Tea Tree oil, and if you do use it, test it on a small portion of your scalp.

Have you gone a few days in a row without washing your hair to try to restore natural oils or does that make it worse?

Best of luck to you.

Jen
  11. JuliannaG

JuliannaG New Member

I used to have it very badly; scalp flaked like dandruff, but worse - crusts formed on the scalp. It even appeared on my forehead, below the hairline, and behind my ears. I also had red patches on each side of my nose which is part of the condition. Normal anti-dandruff shampoos won't work, even shampoos containg coal tar didn't do the trick. I used Niz shampoo, and alternated with one called Fongitar. They are quite expensive, and I haven't been able to afford them lately, so I am just using anti-dandruff shampoos now and so far so good. I used to have quite oily hair, and washed it every second day, but now that I am getting older, and starting to dry up in every way (LOL) I only need to wash my hair twice a week.
  12. mejlee

mejlee New Member

Please pardon my spelling I am up way too late and have had bad fibro fog all week. That being said...

What you are describing sounds exactly like my psoriasis. It ranges anywhere from mild dandrif to sm. pimples to large red welts. I know when I start itching too much that I have ripped my skin open and have a form of scratch dermatitus. (my goodness I know my spelling is horrible right now. sorry) I am laughing at the not behind your ears comment. Mine usually affects the rear hairline and about a 2 to 3 inch strip any where up to and including the front hairline. In fact I have never had any bumps behind my ears.

I use a coal tar shampoo + an scalp oil prescription it is the only thing that really helps me. I would ask your local pharm. what they recommend for scalp psoriasis. Above and beyond the shampoo's. I believe Cortizone 10 is one of the products I use on the patches on my skin, maybe that could help. If it does not call your derm. office and ask for an RX of the topical... Tell them if they wont see you any sooner the least they could do is possibly elivate some of the itching. Ask for a sample.

The only reason I suggest doing this is the med. will not do any damage to your scalp if it is not psoriasis... But if it is, it will sure make your scalp feel better.
  13. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have had unexplained hair loss for several months (no meds that cause it, ect.) but it has been accompanied by a very dry scalp. And I've never had dry scalp or a dandruff problem in the past. I was told by someone here in our group (a former beautician) that a dry, itchy scalp does NOT have anything to do with hair loss, but I'm wondering....since the two things seemed to start at exactly the same time. I'm taking a lot of supps & a good diet w/protein, plenty of water, but neither issue is better.

I've resisted trying a dandruff-type shampoo for fear of it being too caustic & causing even MORE hair loss. Does anyone know anything about this? For those who have answered jlh's post, has the dry, scaly scalp problem you've had in the past caused you to notice any hair loss?

Thanks so much! And, jlh, I hope your problem improves & the things you try work for you!

Pam
  14. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...for answers...
  15. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Back to Basics makes a detox shampoo and conditioner I ordered off line and I love it .Its called Tangerine Grapefruit clarifing shampoo .My hair is looking better each time I wash it.It seems thicker also. Your hairdresser may carry it but make sure she knows which one because they have several shampoos.Let us know if it works for you.
    I would wash once leave it in for a few mins. then wash again useing a soft toothbrush all over rubbing the shampoo into your scalp .Then rinse and shampoo it a third time.Good Luck!
  16. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Read my post above about a detox shampoo. wWhy dont you try that same product let me know if it helps.Make sure you get the one I talked about its a detox shampoo.I was just wondering have you colored your hair or changed any color products on it?Good Luck!
  17. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Check out a Homeopathy drug store look in your yellow pages under Homeopathic or call a local Homeopathic Doctor and ash where the closes place to buy those products is to your area.They are usually in larger citys.You can also get it off the web if you put the same words in a search .
    It is surpose to be good to clean out fungus in your nails.Im sure there are other uses also.I just have known about the nail thing from a friend who said it worked .
  18. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I felt the Nizoral shampoo may give you some relief until you can see your dermatologist. I realize it is expensive. My hair is fine and on the thin side since about 1993.

I can't say if it will make you hair thinner. That is just a side effect with the Rx dose of the shampoo. My hair has been falling out since the fall due to stress, I think. :(

Hope things work out well for you. I have diabetes too and am fighting thrush now and a yeast infection under my breasts. I don't think that people realize how painful thrush really is. :(

Hugs,
    Cat
  19. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm going to try the Nizoral shampoo until I can get to the dermatologist.

I go to Wal-Mart on Thursday and will pick it up then.

I am going to research the Tee Tree Oil more. If it will help out on nail fungus, I have a problem there, too!!!

As a diabetic, too, I also have the yeast rashes under my breasts and stomach.

I got a "recipe" for a compounded cream/ointment that work excellent on it.

In case you're not back on this thread, I'm going to make a separate post with the ingredients.
  20. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Will look for your other thread. I just love this board. It is so much better than WebMD.

Feel better, jih...

Hugs,
    Cat