"HAS ANYONE HAD AN ( EMG)" ? NEED INFO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Solaris_Starr, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Good Morning Everyone,

My Neurologist has ordered an EMG test for me and I'm kind of nervous. Has anyone ever had one and can you describe it to me. Is it painful, side effects....ect

Hospital test freak me out and cause me to have so much anxiety!

Thanks to all,

Sandy
  2. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Like you... I was freak out when my dr want me to have EMG. I was 20 when I had to take this test. I do not want to scared you at all...But I'll tell you the truth.

The EMG is uncomfortable. AFter the test, I did get some sore in my arm and legs. I had EMG on my arm and my both legs. The side effect is really various in different people. I did NOT get any bruises, but my dad had EMG, and he got bad bruises on his arms.

Depend on where they want to test your nerves and muscles, they will set you up, start to put patches on you. They will shock you little (at each patches). Then, they put the needle to test the muscles streghts. It was not so bad as I pictured it.

But.. It is NOT comfortable. I def do not want to take it again. I think I only winced in pain once when they put needle in my shin (or was that in my knee??). But others, it was not bad.

My dr said it was normal but the paper said one or two nerves was little slow... But I guess it was not that bad cuz my dr wasn't worry about it.

Good luck! Let me know how you did it. It is NOT fun. :)

Tak care.
  3. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

Hi,
    I had an EMG/NCS.....I will be truthful, it was very uncomfortable. I think it will depend on your usual soreness/stiffness, etc. If you are like me, I can barely stand to be touched because it hurts, so it was not a very comfortable test. Overall, not bad..they started at my neck and went in sections down my body right to my toes. First they hooked up the patches with the machine to give you different levels of shock, moving from neck, slowly down to toes, then they started with the needles, again starting at neck, and working his way down to toes. Took about 40 to 45 minutes. They say they could see nothing wrong. I guess the test was worth having done to rule out somethings, but disappointing to still not have a dx other than Fibro. Hope your test goes well.
    Noreen
  4. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

You can look at older information by searching for post title "EMG". There are several good posts from 2004-2005 that will give you a little more info too.

I have never had this done but my neurologist has scheduled a EMG/nerve conductivity test on my arms for March 14. I'm such a baby about pain so I'm nervous too you're not alone!!! I always tense up so bad which will probably make it hurt worse than it normally would. I hope not!

Good luck with yours, and let us know how it goes!

Kat

5. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Thanks you guys.....at least I know I'm not alone! I feel like such a big baby!! LOL I've had 3 kids...you'd think I would of toughened up by now! LOL

It's just that my anxiety level shoots through the roof whenever I have to interact with the medical system in any way! Especially where there are invasive procedures to be done....I have had such bad experiences in the past that were very scary. Plus doctors have not been very kind to me in the past so, yup, There goes my Panic!

At least I know what to expect now.

I will keep you all up to date on the outcome of the EMG and how I was able to deal with it. I have to admit, I have butterflies and shakey knees! LOL

I'm alone and have no one to go with me so I guess I got to suck it up....no choice.

Thanks again
    Sandy
  6. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I've had several because of an inherited neuromuscular condition. The EMG isn't so bad if you have a good technician - that's just the needle (like the size of an acupuncture needle) sending information on how your muscles are conducting electrical current.

The part I don't like is the nerve conduction study. It's a small electrical current sent through the needle that travels from the insertion site to the spinal cord to see if any nerves are damaged along the way (but you only feel it where the needle is located). It's a very useful study, but can be a bit painful, like touching an electric fence or getting shocked from static electricity in the winter. In my case they did a series of 5 small shocks (increasing in intensity each time) in each area such as thigh, calf, foot, etc.

I never had any bruising and was just slightly sore from the muscles contracting, not the needles. The best thing to do is breathe deeply through the testing and relax. The more you tense up, the more it will hurt. Of course you can't stop the tensing from the shocks because it's stimulating the muscle, but at least the muscle will relax faster afterward.

It's really not that bad as tests go, but it's not something I'd do for fun. Actually I do remember a "game" in the arcade at Disneyland years ago that shocked you with increasing intensity as you held onto the grips, so I guess I did do it for fun, or at least on a dare :)

Jan[This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hi Sandy,
    I don't know when, but I had an EMG scheduled by my family doc. I went to the hospital by myself, was a nervous wreck.

During the shock part I was so scared that I started to cry and by the time the neurologist came in, I told them I had FMS and it was hurting so much. They didn't do the needle part of the test. I just went home and had a dx of no neuropathy. But that was wrong, as I did have neuropathy of my feet.

I think if I had of had a friend or someone go with me, I wouldn't have been so terribly scared about the entire thing. Boy, I wish I had Xanax back then as that would have surely helped my nerves.

The test wasn't as bad, it was just I was so very scared. I should have just gone through with all of it. I was a big baby... Even now if I had to have a test like that, I would have to have hubby go with me.

I can't deal with stuff like that anymore by myself. I can't even figure out how to get around the hospital anymore it has gotten so huge.

It's really not as bad as it seems.

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. GBHope

GBHope New Member

and it's nothing to be scared of. It doesn't hurt. Try not to be to nervous.

GBHope