Has anyone had any experience with Provigil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by whit283, Sep 27, 2005.

1. whit283

whit283 New Member

Would like to start taking something for fatigue and brain fog. wondered if any of you have tried it or others
  2. twerp

twerp New Member

including me.

It didn't work for me - tried it at the prescribed 200MG dose, then cut the pills in half, then in quarters. No matter the dose, it made me so nervous and jittery I had to stop. Other people have had very good results, though.

I'm sure you'll get lots more replies. You might also do a search on Provigil. A lot of people have posted on it in the past.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  3. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi Whit,

Like other posters suggested - do a search on Provigil & you will come up with a ton of info.

I have been on it for about 5 weeks now. I started at 100mg for the first week or so, then titrated up to 200mg.

It really seems to be helping my fatigue. However - there are instances because I am feeling OK and have the energy I very much overdo it - and then suffer the consequences. I am paying dearly right now for a busy weekend-ugh!

So you still need to pace yourself despite the feeling of energy you have. You can't use up all your reserves too quickly - I feeel like I am learning all over again.

I knew I had to go to a Baby Shower on Sunday and was looking forward to that. A friend called me and asked what I was doing Saturday. I explained how I needed to "reserve my energy" for Sunday-but against my better judgement, she talked me into going out to lunch & a little shopping (for the baby shower). OMG-way too much walking!! What a killer of a day!

So despite the Provigil, I spent Monday & Tuesday- napping and of course in major pain-ugh! It is working, but you need to realize to not overdo things.

As for side effects, there are some days that I feel slightly jittery, but I'm not sure whether or not to attribute that to Ptovigil. Anyway at this point, I am not ready to increase my dosage.

Good Luck to you Whit, I hope it works for you.

Gentle Hugs,
    Patty
  4. farida

farida New Member

I take Provigil on days that I need to be really with it cognitively. I take between 50 and 100 mg. If I drink too much coffee with the Provigil, then I get really jittery. It doesn't really help with the fatigue but does work well for the brain fog.

Good luck!
  5. elsa

elsa New Member

I've posted many times on provigil. It has worked very well for me ... been taking it for about 1 1/2 years. It has truly been a wonder drug for me where my quality of life is concerned.

My rx is for 100mgs. That way I can take the amt I need on any given day. ( I don't always take it.) 100mgs 2xd, or 200 mgd right off the bat, or 100mgs 3xd if it is one of those busy 15 hour type days.

Also, if I keep mixing up the amount I take ... and take "holidays" from it, I keep my body from becoming used to it. I have been able to maintain it's effectivness this way.

I hope it works for you. Provigil has really become a "stable" for CFS/FM symptom treatment. As always with these illnesses, what works beautifully for one person won't work at all for another. More's the pity. If you try it, I'll keep positive thoughts for a good outcome for you.

Take care,

Elsa

6. Empower

Empower New Member

My doctor just prescribed it for me

Did anyone experience any bad side effects other than nervousness?

I am thinking of cutting the pill

ANyone one else do this?
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

Did you start out with the 200mgs pills? Provigil also comes in 100 mg strength. That is what I started on ... way back in the day. LOL

I creeped up in my dose ... cutting a 100mg in half and taking it 2xd ... then up to the normal amt. It was easier on my system that way then jumping right in with 200 mgs.

I don't have any side effects with it. That's a good idea of breaking it in half.

Elsa
  8. twister425

twister425 New Member

Hi,
    I was diagnosed with narcolepsy last july 2004 and started provigil. it worked great no side affects but building tolerance i think because i am very tierd by early afternoon. Havent called my sleep dr yet. been to busy with all the other dr.s
  9. whit283

whit283 New Member

Thanks for all the help I am going to start it once I get used to some of my depression meds. You all are great!!! Thanks for the support. Love Whit