Has anyone had any experiences on Famvir?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jprr99, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jprr99

jprr99 New Member

Hi All--

I am a patient of Dr. Levine's and I was just on Amantadine for about 6 months and I didn't improve at all so she just switched me to Famvir. Has anyone been on it or does anyone know anything about it? Please let me know. Thanks--

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I have FM and I took Famvir, 500 mg, three times daily for 6 months last year. At the same time I did an elimination diet after having delayed food allergy testing(sensitivities).

I eliminated 22 sensitive foods from my diet. On day 10 of the diet and Famvir, I improved significantly.

I had less pain, stiffness, soreness, fatigue and brain fog. My Dr (Dr Dantini) said that he thinks the quick response was due to the food elimination.

After introducing each sensitive food back in, one at a time, I found that the foods contributing to pain, stiffness, soreness, fatigue and brain fog were cane sugar and corn syrup. The other foods caused some digestive trouble,so I take digestive enzymes with them. I must continue to avoid sugar and corn syrup.

After 6 months I was about 50%-70% improved.

Unfortunately, I had a flare up of pain starting in Feb this year after sitting down in a tense position for hours to fill out tax forms. Since then I have battled neck/shoulder/head pain. It is slowly improving but I don't think it will ever go away.

I started taking an antiviral again in June...this time I'm taking acyclovir, 800 mg, four times daily, along with ranitidine 300 mg twice daily to decrease stomach acid and improve the absorption of the acyclovir, which is known for poor absorption.

My prescription plan only pays a small portion of the cost of meds, so I paid $900/month for Famvir. I am paying about $88/month for the acyclovir and ranitidine.

I did not have any side effects from the Famvir, other than a skinny wallet!

3. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

It didn't do much for me other than make me more tired.

The doc gave it to me for EBV, but it didn't do work.

4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Type Famvir in the search box above and hit enter. Lots of posts will pop up. Slayadragon has an entire year long journal of entries about her experiences on Famvir.

You can search by the author's name (user name, date, and content. You can also go to the other boards here and do a search by clicking on the message board function. I was here for months but didn't realize there was more than one board then I figured out there was a transfer factor board, a Lyme board, and a chit chat board.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This drug hit me as hard as other people were hit by Valcyte. Doxycyline (an antibiotic) was even worse.

I couldn't figure out why I had such a hard time with the drugs at the time.

Now I realized that mold poison had decimated my immune system, causing it not to be able to keep up with the work that the drug was doing.

Based on my experience, I think that other people who have surprisingly fierce reactions to drug might want to look into the possible presence of poison mold in their environments.

Eventually I may go back on the drug again. It seems to help some people who can tolerate it, at least a little bit.

I feel very strongly that people who go on Valcyte should precede it with another antiviral (Famvir, Valtrex or acyclovir). This prevents as many viruses from being killed off all at once with the Valcyte, thus taking less of a toll on the body.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had to take it as a precaution prior to facial surgery. I went into a complete, but temporary, remission. My doc and I decided I had a chronic viral infection (probably in the Herpes Family) and the Famvir was helping. It took 1 1/2 years on it, pulsing later on, for it to drive whatever virus I had into latency. I now keep Acyclovir on hand in case I feel as though the infection may be trying to reactivate. My ins. won't pay for the Famvir now. The Acyclovir has a few more side effects but seems to work as well.

Love, Mikie