Has Anyone Had Any Luck With Positive Thinking?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I attended a Church of Religious Science recently and they swear by positive thinking. I discussed my health issues with the "Health Ministry Director" and she claimed that I could "think" myself well. I think it's a bunch of hogwash. Does anyone have an opinion?

Hippo
  2. JP

JP New Member

trust thy self...lol.

I have mixed feelings about the science of mind movement in general, no specific church as a target, just the belief system. The mind is a very powerful thing and our bodies are terribly complex. Thinking it away is almost like saying you thought it into form, or made yourself sick. I think positive thinking can be a good first aid for depression...reversal of thoughts, moving out of the depression. I tend to look at my world as an optomist much of the time, so I guess you could say that I believe in positive thought. However, thinking yourself well is a stretch for me. I think our greatest challange is just being with the illness. So, I hope this gives some food for thought. Go with your gut.

Take care,
    Jan
  3. susabar

susabar New Member

I bit the bullet and went back to work full-time, alot of my success has to do with thinking I can. ( which at times is very difficult !!! ) I happen to like what I do for a living a great deal. I would be afraid of any Church that didn't believe in western medicine etc... I do have a very strong faith , and I also know it is by the Grace of God that I am doing so well !! I hope I helped
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I definitely believe in the mind/body/spirit connection. Part of my treatment has been hypnotherapy to learn how to be a healthy person again. My shrink says that after being sick for a long time, the conscious mind forgets how to be well, even when the body is healing. Cell memory remains and can be rejuvenated through the subconscious. The sessions really did help me, mostly with anxiety about control over my life.

Sylvia Browne, in her new book, talks about past-life regression and healing of present illnesses. She says that there will be a cure for MS if a new years. If this is true, it gives hope that there will be a cure for us too.

I figure we can be in pain and grumpy or in pain and trying to keep optimistic. I favor the latter. Better yet, get rid of the pain and it is much easier to be optimistic. My new doc says that the constant pain signals in the brain is part of the neurological overload that we suffer and contributes to our anxiety, sleep deprivation, and fatigue.

Love, Mikie
  5. judywhit

judywhit New Member

Oh dear one,
    I have been there done that. How do you feel when you feel GUILTY! Feel like CRAP and depressed! if you alow someone to tell you that you can "think" away your FM/cfs than you my freind are setting yourself up for major guilt issues when this DD does not go away. I agree, that a positive attitude helps us bare our trials and tribulations with more grace. I feel that this is where God has me right now and He is teaching me to live in trust in Him.
    Judy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But everything works a little. This is true of keeping a positive attitude. It isn't a cure, but it does help synergistically with everything else you are doing. There's no reason to feel guilty if our positive attitude doesn't cure us. There is no cure now. What does it gain me, though, to project negativity? Negativity just exacerbates all our problems.

I'm not in denial nor am I some kind of naieve Pollyanna, but I am aware of the strong relationship between my body, mind, and spirit.

Love, Mikie
  7. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I try to accept what life has handed me and sometimes when I'm having a good time and not thinking about my problems I feel better...of course, I usually pay for that afterwards. Some people tell me nonstop to just think positive, but sorry it doesn't take away the pain. I try to discuss my thoughts on the future in a realistic manner and all I get back is think positive. Sometimes those pat responses drive me up the wall.
  8. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

I must admit staying positive at very least elimates you suffering from the misery of depression. However that is very hard to do when one feels so ill.

Shazzy
  9. Laura62

Laura62 New Member

Hi,

I don't believe any organization that "gets rich" off it's people is necessarily a good thing...By the way...L.Ron Hubbard was a very wealthy man!!

But I do believe in the power of positive thinking...face it..what good does it do one to mope around...NONE...

If I hadn't gotten out of of bed every day and put on a smile and told myself "I CAN DO THIS" six years ago, I probably wouldn't be able to write this simple letter...let alone go back to college at age 37...and ace my classes...HAH...don't let the word "ace" fool ya! It really did take a lot of hard work...but that hard work and POSITIVE THINKING..is what kept me going through the fog, gloom, doom, depression and pain! And now I know if I have to...I can do it all again!

My advice...If you have to...use whatever means you need, whatever church you want...if the end result means you feel better...than great!!!! What harm is there in that....ummm...unless they're leaching out all your finances...:)

Laura
  10. turtis

turtis New Member

sounds like a bunch of b***s*** to me! to hell with positive thinking ! how about some positive doctors and positive reserch @!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2003]
  11. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Some of you guys really cracked me up! To answer a couple of questions, there is no financial "leeching" involved, contributions are voluntary, and frankly, I didn't give them anything. The so-called "Health Ministry" is run by two nurses who don't have any health problems. The major function of the "Health Ministry" is to do blood pressure checks after the Sunday Service. I guess they think that's what health is all about--you feel fine all the time, but check your blood pressure periodically just in case! LOL I was very hurt by the insensitivity of these two nurses and others. They claim that if you talk about your health problems, you are RE-AFFIRMING them and making them worse. Also, since we started at this church, my 13-year-old daughter, who was fine when we started attending, developed symptoms similar to mine. Her feelings are that, as long as you feel well, they like you fine, but if you have problems, they come down on you and start to blame you. So whoever it was who commented about the guilt trips was absolutely correct. My daughter summed it up well by saying "You have to be doing great or PRETEND to be doing great, otherwise they're mean to you." Thanks again for the feedback and the chuckles!

Hippo