has anyone had blood pressure go UP?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justdifferent, Jan 18, 2009.

1. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I'm a chronic hypertensive and have been since, well, the onset of my various illnesses (all hit in my early 20s). Lately my BP has come out of control; it is normally quite well under control. I've gone from 120/80 ish to 150/100 ish.

In case they were causing problems, I dropped ALL additional medication and supplements I'd begun taking recently: B-12, melatonin for sleep, grapeseed extract, Sonata for sleep. Tonight the BP is back to reasonable, but I don't know that it will stay that way.

I know many people have NMH (a form of *low* blood pressure) but wondered if anyone else had seen their BP rise.
  2. MsE

MsE New Member

I think it is CFS related. Age probably has something to do with it, too. My blood pressure will be quite normal for several days and then for no reason I can figure out, spike or drop too low. I think it's all part of the CFS brain being on the blink.
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

of Sonata include both hypo - and hyper- tension. Not common, but has been reported.

Of course, there are many possible causes of hypertension. Med side effects are only one possible cause.

However, if your BP continues to be moderate w/out the stuff on your list, then perhaps there WAS a hypertension culprit in that group.

Why not talk to your doc about it. If he/she concurs, try just the Sonata (without other supps & meds) for a period of time.

And you could do the same w/the supps. Try taking them one at a time for a while, then monitioring BP.

Best wishes.

P.S. -- do you take any NSAIDs for pain -- either RX or OTC? -- ibuprofen, naproxen, Advil? NSAIDs can boost BP for some folks.[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2009]
  4. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

Yes, I read the side effects of everything I was taking, and the Sonata was the only one that specifically mentioned hypertension.

I am going to "rechallenge" and add them one by one. I don't take NSAIDs every day, but when I have, I haven't noticed a rise in BP.
  5. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Have you had a work up of your kidneys? It could be related to that. You also mentioned in another thread about your RH factor...if I recall correctly, that could signal inflammation in your body. That signals a problem in your body of course, but where...could also be the heart...
    What does your doctor say?
    Are you especially anxious or nervous?
    Any weight gain (especially in the mid section) or hair growth on face?
    Trouble sleeping?