Has Anyone Had Dental Work Done in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chaps, Dec 16, 2009.

1. chaps

chaps New Member

It looks as though the problems I've been having were caused by the abundance of dental amalgams (mercury) in my mouth, which has been there for many years, some 20, some 40.

It is likely that this will be confirmed and I will have to have all of it removed and replaced. The work will be extensive because I've got crowns on about 7 teeth under which there are amalgam fillings. The amount of work that needs to be done will undoubtedly be quite expensive. Given that, I am considering having the work done in another country, such as Mexico or somewhere else.

My question is, has anyone had this done either in Mexico or another country, and was the quality of work such that you would recommend the facility you used?

Is there a site that can provide me info on such places?
  2. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

I have a friend that went to Mexico for dental work. There was no problem with the work, but she got sick from the water used during the dental work.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the subject in question. But Victoria on the
    Chit Chat board might. She moved to Mexico a year or two ago. You
    might want to ask her.

Good luck

4. victoria

victoria New Member

Some years before expecting to move, I had the same questions since it was so expensive to do in the U.S.

There was a clinic in Tijuana that specializes in it, and was about 1/2 the cost. It had a good reputation, but, I ended up doing it in the US and paying the extra money because apparently sometimes you can get someone being trained who still doesn't do it right.

I'd talked with someone who had gone there and had became very ill because of the amalgams being improperly removed, because of lack of oversight of the intern/trainee. She got 1/2 her money back, but... the story didn't make me feel good about taking the chance. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the clinic.

I would suggest looking at yahoo groups about mercury amalgams and see what others have to say these days, however, as this was back in 2003. There is also an organization of mercury free dentists in the US, perhaps they have some info about Mexico or elsewhere as well since the merc-free dentists in US have gone to their courses.

IMHO, however, no matter WHERE you go, US or ANYwhere, you want to do your homework. I have seen dentists say they remove them safely, but IN ACTUALITY had NO proper equipment for suction of bits of fillings removed, mouth blocks (so pieces didn't get swallowed in saliva) or even 'closed' office air circulation systems.

I hope that helps. I had over the top mercury levels, but my amalgams were really old; if I hadn't been in a hurry, I could've done it more slowly as my merc-free dentist said most had leached out by then. I also chelated, retesting 2X since has reflected low levels happily.

Good luck!

all the best,
  5. lea

lea Member

going to a college that has dental training.
    good luck
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Unfortunately, no dental schools would know how to properly remove them, much less have the proper safety equipment... not as long as the ADA continues to say amalgams are safe.

You might want to check here:
    to see who you can find in Mexico or elsewhere.

I did find a listing of 2 dentists in practice together in Tijuana at:
    but can't vouch for them one way or the other of course.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

all the best,

7. chaps

chaps New Member

Actually, I just found an organization called "Dental Amalgam Mercury Solutions" that will send me a list of IAOMT-certified dentists. To get this certification, they have to attend training, work with a mentor, learn the proper procedures and equipment to use and they have to buy that equipment for their office.

I have a great relationship with my current dentist, but I know that he hasn't gone through this training. I'm afraid it would be a rather tall order to ask him to become certified on this before I'll allow him to remove the amalgams. I've talked with him about removing the amalgams and he's eager to do the work, but I haven't approached him yet regarding the credentialing. I'm not looking forward to that conversation.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a certified dentist remove all the amalgams and replace them with a composite stub and then go to another dentist to put new crowns over them. Most of my amalgams are covered up with crowns right now and those are the ones likely exposing me to the most mercury. I found a great page that explains how metal based crowns over the amalgam fillings enhances the EMF battery effect created in the mouth by mixed metals that pumps mercury into the gums, jawbone, oral mucosa, and systemically is carried throughout the body by the blood and nerves.

Here's a link to it if your'e interested: http://www.flcv.com/indexa.html

I've pretty much given up on the Mexico thing. It's probably not a good idea.
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

It would probably be possible to have your regular dentist to do the crowns, but (and there's always a 'but', you know!) - one thing most merc-free dentists do is have you do the Clifford dental materials allergy testing. So hopefully he would be agreeable to that and maybe also to consult with the merc-free dentist. The Clifford test is doen by a blood draw and they test for any allergies to all the different dental materials. I was surprised to see so many checked off on mine.

Interestingly, I consulted an oral surgeon here last year as a tooth was acting up (turned out to be dying and could be left alone for now) - anyway, he spoke excellent English, had worked with gringos before ;) -- AND he had actually had other pts bring in the very same test! So I know I'm not alone here, at the least.

One other thing... I had 2-3 done at a time, for a total of 13 removals. When the anesthetic wore off the first time, I thought I was prepared with some oxycodone, but it didn't even touch the pain. (Which was agonizing!)

My GP told me ibuprofen worked really well on dental pain, so I tried it. I only needed 2 pills/per 6 hours, amazingly! I have since found it works well on facial/tooth pressure pain from my occasional bad sinusitis headaches.

all the best,