Has Anyone Had Less Pain While On Vacation?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FibroPainSufferer, Feb 12, 2007.

1. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I just got back from a mini vacation with my family. Not only did I feel a whole lot better but now my family is telling me that this is all in my head and that I can control it. My sister said she read something about psychosomatic conditions and if she can find it she is going to email it to me.

I feel like I'm nuts now because for months I’ve been living in pain but if you saw me over the weekend you would never have known I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was even running & swimming with my 4 year old niece...I couldn’t believe it myself!!! I did continue to take my meds while away because most of them can’t be stopped abruptly but for instance, I took my ibuprofen more than I did my pain pill. This morning I did wake up stiff & I had some pain but I don’t know if it was caused by a day of shopping yesterday or the fact that I knew I was coming home??? I’ve been home for about 2 hours now & I can feel the stiffness & pain getting worse.

Please help!!! I think I’m crazy!!!
  2. FibroPainSufferer

By the way, I’m usually in so much pain that I’ve thought many many times that I might be better off if I was on disablility. Instead I push myself no matter how bad I feel, to go to work everyday. I’ve only missed 1 day of work since being diagnosed 5 months ago. I work a 40 hour work week, sometimes more.

I swear I’m feeling worse as each minute passes & I’m now beating myself up over this!!! Somebody please tell me they have felt better while away from all the everyday stress!!!
  3. Daisys

Daisys Member

Where did you go? What was different besides sleeping in another building?

I always go to high altitudes (home to Colorado) for visits, and always wondered why I have so much more energy there. (I'm not usually bothered by pain too much) Well, I read in one place that the thyroid kicks in at higher altitudes, and then I read, I think it was Cheney, that if we do certain breathing exercises, it mimics high altitudes, and the body adjusts for it. That counteracts the low oxygen state of our low blood volumne.

My family also can't believe I'm sick. They only see me when I'm well enough to travel, and then I get that extra kick of energy while there.

So, before I found out it was high altitude that helped me, I was wondering if my home had mold problems. Another thing to ponder is the area. Country air, or near city traffic? Stress at work, as opposed to relaxing free time? Not setting an alarm, as opposed to having to wake up earlier than you need? I'm sure there's more, but maybe that's a start to figuring it out.
  4. PJC71

PJC71 New Member

I was on vacation a few weeks ago and for me personally it was a nightmare! I enjoyed watching everyone have fun, but I was in pain so it was hard. We were on the go alot though and I'm not used to that.

That being said, I just joined the Y and the pool does wonders for me. I can play with my kids in the water like I can't normally on dry land. The water relaxes me and of course the weightlessness helps.

I don't think you are crazy though, the stress of everyday life can make the pain a little worse and harder to cope with. You are not Crazy!

God Bless
  5. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Did you go somewhere warmer perhaps? I know I always feel better when I am somewhere warm. We are even going to relocate because I can't handle the cold weather here.
  6. sick~kitty

sick~kitty New Member

Stress is a big factor in fibro & CFS - not that the illnesses are psychosomatic, but that our bodies handle stress chemicals differently.

Different climates can make a huge difference. I have a LOT more pain with cold weather or changing weather.

Then to add to the confusion, for most of us our illnesses really do have exacerbations and partial remissions for no discernible reason. I've had trips where I've been amazed at how much I could get out and do, and also trips where I was nearly bedridden. I wish there were easy answers.
  7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I had not flown in over 5 yrs.I was flying alone needed to go it was my sons wedding reception could not miss that no matter what.

The minute I boarded the plane I started to feel better.I also kept taking my medication.

At home it takes all I have to peel potatoes. I need to sit to get it done.My husband does all the cooking and cleaning.

Well when I arrived in GA I felt great.went to my daughters house she was still at work so I decided to start dinner.I had absolutely no pain at all.( I was a bit confused about it)

The whole 19 days no problems I could even sleep.I did make sure to take it a little slow I did not want my children to see me at my worst.

As soon as I got home I crashed.The next day my symptoms all came back some were even worst.

I thought I was nuts also.I spoke to one of my doctors the day after .I told here how weird it was to not suffer( I had a little pain now and than but it was nothing)She has been my doctor from the get go .Her response was that I had not seen them for 2 yrs. so my adrenalin took over that is why I did not suffer like at home.

Plus I had absolutely no stress and no worries like I do at home.Stress on how the bills will get paid.Worry about my husband working 3 jobs now.Petrified it will bury him.I think of this every day.

Lots of stress from my 90 yr old father in law.He does not like change and I walk on pins and needles when I go in the house.I stay in our sun room all day till I go to bed.

You were probably very relaxed and a bit of an adrenalin rush.You are not crazy nor faking show them my letter.

Hugs
    Sue
  8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

The last vacation I was on was when I spent a weekend in Chicago.

I felt amazing. I know that I had stomach problems even then, and I'm sure my knees bothered me, but I was on such an adrenaline rush from the excitement of being on vacation that I didn't feel them.

I wish there would be a way to have that feeling daily :-\
  9. FibroPainSufferer

I don’t feel so crazy now. I went to a lodge up in the mountains that has an indoor water park. So there was the higher altitude & the warmth. I didn’t have to wake up at a certain time & there was no stress from work & my personal life. My adrenaline was also high while I played with my four year old niece so it sounds like it was a combination of all the things you all mentioned.

Thank you so much again!!! Today I was back to dealing with the pain & being tired! Ugh!!!
  10. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

The last 2 vacations I took, I was in so much pain, I was in tears most of the time.

It was embarassing for me to have to leave a wedding because I was in too much pain and crying. Hubby was so good to me, he drove me to the hotel, tucked me in, massaged my back and legs, and drove back to the wedding reception and told everyone I was just too sick to stay. They were very concerned for me.

Then I went and visited my sister in Seattle, and although she had tons of fun stuff planned, and we usually have a blast, all I could do was cry or lie in bed!

Flying hurts my neck and upper back, and driving makes me hurt all over.

If someone could just knock me out, then I could feel better on vacations!LOL!
    Mini
  11. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I took my first (and probably only) cruise to Alaska last May with my Dad and 2 sisters. We are now estranged. They had no understanding or compassion for my illness. They just wanted to have fun and deserted me (basically & literally). It was a nightmare.

Maybe your house is making you sick?????
  12. FibroPainSufferer

I’ve wondered many times if my apartment was causing my pain & fatigue. It’s an old brick building probably built at least 40-50 years ago.

I forgot to mention that the place I stayed while on vacation had a huge Jacuzzi so I sat in there a lot & it felt awesome! I’m sure that also helped my muscles & body to relax. I know someone who suffers from fibro. & she had a hot tub put in here home. She says it helps her a lot!!!
  13. pearls

pearls New Member

I taught fourth grade under increasingly bad conditions for all teachers in my state for two and a half years after I was diagnosed. It was terrible. After having retired, all that stress was behind me. Also, it takes a lot of energy to hold down a job, and we only have so much (see the recent article at this site on pacing). I'm not cured, but I function a whole lot better now.

Your family needs to learn more about your illness.

Soft hugs,
    Pearl S.
  14. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Please post a seperate post for this as I am very interested in your theory as I have been interested in this barametric pressure aspect since I have had fibro for two years. I live in a brand new home but moved to the woods surrounded by nothing but water and trees where I am sure there is alot of mold. I am always inside though so I am not sure how it can affect me. I always feel better when I am on vacation but it is always somewhere warm. I do notice more of the fatigue aspect though if I am somewhere warm and humid. It is all so confusing you guys. I am trying desperately to find out where people are finding it more comfortable because my husband and I want to move somewhere where I can find relief. Thanks