Has anyone had mono?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Princessraye, May 31, 2003.

1. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I imagine this has posted in the past but I am fairly new and so are others, because of this I thought I would ask again.
    I had it when I was 15.
  2. Wezz

Wezz New Member

my symptoms started when I had mono. that was over 10 years ago. you may want to read the book Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    The Hidden Epidemic by Jesse A Stoff,MD. You may also try a lot of hot bathes, vegie juice and rest. I found the supplement SAMe helpful but it caused some depression. It
    is not recomened for use with antidepressants
  3. OmShanti

OmShanti New Member

i had it in 95-96, a very severe case, was blacking out while driving, while standing etc. slept for three months straight. i don't feel as though i've ever recovered from it. i'm pretty sure that's what started the FM&CFS i have now, but i guess there's no way to really tell.
  4. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Yes I had Mono 20yrs. ago and was told then that the virus would never actually leave me, I would just feel better in time. Now I know that the virus that is responsible for mono is the Epstein-Barr and I even more so believe that it may lie dormant but never leaves. When I am in flare I feel exactly like I did back then when I collapsed at school with the mono. love, Rebel
  5. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

i had mono when i was 14 way back when! i was told it would stay in my system 14 years and i couldn't give blood. too bad with type -O. i was sick in bed over 4 months, when i finally had the energy to recover i was still sick with throwing up for another 18 months. i had to go on home schooling.
    btw here's an old trick for throwing up= sip unsweetened blackberry juice ...really helped me.
  6. AC77

AC77 New Member

I think I may have. A good majority of the population has had it at one time or another--but not all. I think the link between mono and fibro has been kinda kicked out.

I mean, its plausable but, most studies and people are of the opinion it is not the cause. Although, it may indeed be a trigger?
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

We both had symtoms before then from early childhood. Good q, Kim and Gary
  8. matildathehunney

matildathehunney New Member

I had Mono in the fall of 1988 and I KNOW that my CFS started with it. There is no doubt in my mind, I became terribly ill and just never really ever recovered. !!!!This was the definite starting point of Chronic Fatigue for me. Others may have different experiences, but I am SURE of this for me.
  9. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

40 plus years ago. It was very debilitating and I think the effects of it stayed with me altho I recovered enough to "live" in borderline good health until about 3 years ago when I became sick, oh, so sick with what seems to be CFIDS/FMS. But I'm very skeptical of that diagnosis because I don't feel enough testing was done to eliminate all else (due to no health insurance, etc.).

I just think many, many viruses got me finally. Plus a lot of stress from bad decisions in marriage. I don't know, really. None of us can be real sure where this dd came from, can we?

The doctor I went to when I was sick with the mono was becoming a psychiatrist at the time so was not very interested in my symptoms. I just suffered along until I got a little better.

My luck with doctors AND husbands has not been real good.

Pam
  10. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

The 1st time I was around 13 and I ended up in the hospital for a week(I also has anemia,dehydration and tonsillitis-throat was almost swelled shut).It lasted about 6 months.The 2nd time I was around 19,not as severe but all my friends were dieing,they had it bad.
  11. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

When I was 19. Started symptoms of CFIDS when 28. Became very ill when 34. I am 43. I have reactivated EBV now.
    Mad
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2003]
  12. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...when I was in college. Didn't get FM symptoms til 1999. For me personally, I think leaky gut syndrome has more to do with my eventual FM development than mono, but who knows???

Hugs,
    Pam
  13. catnip51

catnip51 New Member

when I was in my teens twice. Now 30 years later the Epstein Barr virus showed up in my blood test about 2 years ago. The doctor checked it because of the fatigue.

The fatigue started 2 years ago and the doctor said no wonder your tired when she read the results of my blood test. Since then I am disabled totally from work and fighting this DD and many symptoms I can say I never experienced with fibro. Some really weird neuro symptoms. So in answer to your question I think most of us have had mono, maybe many, that didn't even know it when they were young. I think it has a lot to do with this DD in my oopinion from the research I've done. Just my opinion, I do now when they say FM/CFS doesn't get worse I think is a crock. Best to you and welcome to the board, you will get much support here. I love this place when I'm down I just read and read and it kinda of helps alot. Take care

Cathy
  14. 2girls

2girls New Member

Yes - Mono 26 years ago / FM symptoms only started two years ago. I agree with Ace in that research is now looking in other directions.

2girls
  15. jka

jka New Member

i had it in the 8th grade.

kathy c
  16. BraidieBunch

BraidieBunch New Member

Oh, Yeah...Been there done that. The more I learn about FB/CFS I can put the pieces of my puzzle back together. I now remember that as a 1 year old, I spent two months in an oxygen tank/crib to aid my pneumonia. I spent the rest of my young years on antibiotics till I had my tonsils removed at 19!! Then the sinus infections started...the rest is history as they say.
    Some days are better than others. Some I want to cry.
    Every day I pray for the inner strength to smile and laugh. I am enjoying better days now, thanks to this board. i have learned to balance my Rx with lots of minerals, vitamins and SALT!!! Thanks Pat!!! I have cut back my soda intake to about one a week...from 3 a day!!! I know eat protein...including meat! Which I reallllllyyy don't like. Eggs, cheese and tofu have become "have tos". I still crave carbos...AUGH!!!! but one step at a time. I have the days, when I regress, but another sunrise brings a new chance. And for that I am blessed.
    Love, Peace and Chicken Grease! BraidieBunch
  17. Simcha

Simcha New Member

Yes, I had mono when I was 11 yeas old, in 1962. I think my Restless Legs started about then. I've suffered with RLS constantly for the last 40 years and now, starting to see symptoms of CFS & fibromyalgia.
  18. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

when I was about 15 yrs. old (20 yrs ago.) I am getting over strep throat right now that I have never had but, before I was diagnosed a few days ago I was sure I had mono again and have wondered if that is what I had again during several different flare ups.

Lisa
  19. stillfighting

stillfighting New Member

I had mono when I was 30, but my first FM symptoms probably preceeded that. The funny thing is, I know lots of folks who have had mono, but get over it, so there must be something more to it.
  20. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

While I don't believe mono is the cause I wonder if sometimes it weakened the immune system and it got all messed up setting up a situation where other things could harm us or maybe because our immune system was messed up we got the mono and did not get over it like a lot of people do.
    Just thinking ..........................