Has anyone had potasium or iron problem...what do you recommend??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Keja, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Keja

Keja New Member

Hi!
    Last spring I felt like I was literally about to die. The lack of energy was beyond explanation or anything like I have experienced yet. My Friend's kept telling me that I just had to push myself a bit, but I absolutely could not and if I did I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I could not figure this out and at 35 I felt 80. It turned out that I was low on Iron and so low on Potasium that I was almost hospitalized. Over the counter potasium and banannas did not help so I had to get a very expensive prescription for potasium. Has this ever happened to any of you? If it has what did you do or what are you now doing to prevent it from happening again? This is all so frustrating!!! It seems like it never ends...once you've gotten a handle on somethng, another problem surfices!!!
    Any input is greatly appreciated! Kathy
  2. Keja

Keja New Member

Hi!
    Last spring I felt like I was literally about to die. The lack of energy was beyond explanation or anything like I have experienced yet. My Friend's kept telling me that I just had to push myself a bit, but I absolutely could not and if I did I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I could not figure this out and at 35 I felt 80. It turned out that I was low on Iron and so low on Potasium that I was almost hospitalized. Over the counter potasium and banannas did not help so I had to get a very expensive prescription for potasium. Has this ever happened to any of you? If it has what did you do or what are you now doing to prevent it from happening again? This is all so frustrating!!! It seems like it never ends...once you've gotten a handle on somethng, another problem surfices!!!
    Any input is greatly appreciated! Kathy
  3. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Of the many imbalances I have, potassium and iron are two. I take a multivitamin with iron (27 mgs---its a prenatal, but I'm not pregnant), and at one time I was also adding additional iron supplements. Then, my levels got too high. This last blood test showed I'm still a little low in ferritin, but I think that's because I wasn't taking my iron daily.

I switched vitamins, for awhile, and my legs felt like they were lead. I suspected it was potassium I needed, since I knew my level had been low and this new vitamin didn't have any. I supplemented with an herbal potassium (as opposed to a synthetic one) and the leg pains disappeared.

I'm looking at a hair analysis I had done recently, and see a couple of references to potassium. The first has to do with the sodium/postassium ratio and the second has to do with the calcium/postassium ratio. Do you happen to know how you stand on either of these two elements? If so, I can list the connections.

Foods that are high in potassium are:

oranges
    dates
    scallops
    tomatoes
    rhubarb
    peas
    apricots
    chicken
    catfish
    cantaloupe
    bananas
    eggs (whites)
    turkey
    currants
    lima beans
    asparagus
    plums
    prunes
    casaba
    raisins
    lentils
    beet greens
    beef (lean)
    apples
    beets
    summer squash
    flounder (baked)
    brussels sprouts
    chard

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  4. SaraD

SaraD New Member

Come to find out it was low potassium, that was it, but it was a relief at least to know. I went into the doctor because my hands were cramping up and then it got worse, she called the ambulace right then and there, as they brought me to the hospital my whole body was cramped up including my heart. All because of low potassium. That was the only time it every happened. I am 29.. I actually don't take anything and my diet is not very good and it hasn't happened since, very fluke thing...
    Sarad
  5. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Legs blow-up like balloons when I'm on them too much or I retain too much water in my body. These are scripts from the doctor so you may want to ask your doctor about it.
    Soft hugs.
  6. jaysie99

jaysie99 New Member

Drinking too much water can cause low sodium and low potassium. It depletes the body of these minerals.

It is safe to drink one-half of your body weight daily in ounces of water. For example if you weigh 140, it is safe to drink 70 ounces of water daily. That sounds like a lot but actually it is only slight over two quarts. A lot of us are thirsty due to meds and keep a big cup of water going all the time.

I was hospitalized for Water Intoxication. You can search it by Water Intoxication on the net and get several articles. It can be deadly. Maybe this applies to someone so I thought I would bring it up again although it has been discussed on this board previously. We need water but we can drink too much and that is very dangerous.

Take Good Care,

Jaysie
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have to take Florinef, among other things, for my NMH and with that comes the risk of low potassium levels. When my doc checked mine were low so I now take 50 MEQ's a day, divided into two doses. I don't know what the symptoms of low potassium are, but I know what I have to do and this is not an option since I have decided that I prefer sitting and occasionally standing to lying around all the time.

Barbara