Has anyone had results with Effexor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lookingoutthewindow, Feb 6, 2007.

1. lookingoutthewindow

lookingoutthewindow New Member

I have tried just about everything. All seem to work for a short time. Any suggestions. I have tried Celexa, Cymbalta, Lexapro and Effexor.
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

I take it, only things that has given me a little more stamina

Hasn't helped with the pain though
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

This is a conversation to have with your doc of course and everyone responds differently to medication, but have you tried Lamictal? The reason I ask is that my psychiatrist tells me that it works differently than other antidepressants.

My doc also says it's usually well-tolerated in most people. It might be something to ask your doc about if the others haven't worked for you. Sometimes people who haven't had success with other anti-ds have success with this anti-d because once again, it works differently than the other anti-ds.

Best of luck and take care,

Erika
  4. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

yes. i have been on 75 mgs for about 7 years. helps alot w my depression. (does not help w my fatigue.) Personaly, if i knew then,what i know now, i would prefer to treat MY depression w natural methods- supplements, etc. i hope to someday get off of effexor and go natural if possible.
    just my 2 cents!

bigmama2
  5. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, Lookingoutthewindow!

I've been in a clinical depression for many long years. I'm 60 now, and finally about 10 years ago, my Rheumy, who has been treating my FMS/ME/CFS, DDD, OA, Scoliosis, Osteopenia (just learned today I have Osteoporosis), Graves Disease, IBS, and everything else we get under the big Unbrella, decided I needed to see a Psychiatrist to work with him in trying to improve my health.

I went, and was wonderfully surprised at how easy he was to talk to, and how well he knew about my illnesses and medications and how they interacted with each other. He did some testing and diagnosed me with Major Depression and Severe Anxiety Disorder. I was so bad, I could not even put a sentence together.

He worked with me, and corresponded with my Rheumatologist as a team, and got me better! Effexor XR was the antidepressant he had to go to that would help me. The other classes of ADs were not doing anything. But once I built my dosage up, I was a different person.

I was happy, not crying anymore, able to make good sentences, sometimes had difficult times trying to find the correct word, and still do, but I'll never forget that day. I thought two angels had come to my rescue.

That was 10 years ago. The Rheumy had been treating me for
    10 years prior to that.

BTW, I'm still on Effexor XR, and still loving the way it makes me feel. I probably will need to take some AD the rest of my life, and I hope it can be the Effexor XR. I feel that it saved my sanity.

I've been taking it for at least 3 years now with monitoring and blood tests, and I have had no ill effects
    from it at all. One of the side effects could be blurry vision. If that should happen, I'm sure we would lower my
    dosage. I've worked up to a high dose of 450mg a day.

It has worked well for me for a long time.l Maybe it would work for you, too. If you do try it, please give us a report. I'd be very interested in how you feel after taking it for enough time for it to start really helping.

Love and hugs,
    ~Lew