Has anyone had success with Feldenkrais Therapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Misdiagnosed, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi there

My rheumatologist advised I try Feldenkrais. I'm interested to know if anyone has benefitted from this or even achieved remission.

Thanks
    Gill
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

What is Feldenkrais?

Thanks!

Annette2
  3. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi to the Annettes

I understand it's 'body awareness through movement'.
    My doctor also suggested it and said FM people seem to get a lot of benefit from it.

It increases peoples' awareness of how they're moving and is supposed to teach a centred groundedness that assists in moving your body in a more natural way - helps to unlearn healthy patterns and make movements more light, fluid and easy.

Maybe someone's tried.

Regards
    Gill

4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I had about a year of Feldenkrais therapy, plus took several classes where students were to learn how to apply to their own daily movement the techniques the therapists used. I must say that while I enjoyed the classes & I had a great, soft-spoken therapist who really understood the method, it honestly did not seem to help (or hinder) my journey with FM. It does make you more aware of how you move, & can help conserve muscle energy as you learn to put more of your whole body into movements rather than repetitive overuse of one set of muscles to perform a movement. I personally think Feldenkrais requires a commitment of many years, so that it literally becomes a seamless part of your life & how you move, for it to really impact your FM health. It was expensive & I had to stop! Just my experience....

Good luck with it,
    Pam
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Mom, who had FMS, had the "head-forward" posture which can be common in people with FMS. Her balance and posture were horrible. She went to physical therapy which was very beneficial while she was doing it, but as soon as the sessons were over, she quit doing her exercises and eventually went back to her old poor posture and bad balance.

The word, "commitment," is the key word in any treatment we undertake. My physical therapy has helped me for many years because I have continued to do the stretches and flexes which I learned. I am constantly trying to use good body mechanics and posture, but I still catch myself slumping as we are all prone to do.

Exercising by itself seems to help us move more gracefully and positively. I hate it that I have lost a lot of the grace of my younger more athletic body, but I'm doing my best. Just learning any kind of movement therapy isn't enough; we have to be commited enough to carry on with it year after year after year.

Love, Mikie
  6. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi Mikie

Thanks for the reminder re commitment. I'm new to this and am still hoping in the back of my mind that if I do the right therapy it will all go away - I'll get my body back.

I have the same posture as your Mum, the pulled in pelvis and the neck forward. What kind of physical therapy did she do. I've been trying acupuncture, myotherapy trigger point massage and stretching at home. Sometimes I feel better, then sometimes I get stiffer. The myotherapist said my spinal muscles are like rope. Everything seems out of whack because of my iliopsoas - it is completely jammed.

Regards
    Gill
  7. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi Pam

Thanks for your feedback - maybe I'll give it a try but as you say everything is so expensive on an ongoing basis.
    What are you doing to keep yourself feeling OK?

Regards
    Gill