Has anyone had successful back surgery?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abbylee, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. abbylee

    abbylee New Member

    I have several pinched nerves, a ruptured disc, and several that are buldging and have been told that I should have surgery.

    The problem is that I have NEVER talked with anyone who has felt that the surgery helped and, in fact, ALL are worse.

    Has anyone had back surgery that has corrected the problem(s) successfully?

    abbylee
  2. Teri620

    Teri620 New Member

    Hey Abbylee,

    My mom...This is Nellie had 3 ruptured disks in the upper part of her back about 10 years ago. She underwent surgery and after 6 mo of extremely painful recovery and lots of Darvocet she was a lot better.

    Prior to the surgery she was always in extreme pain and began having problems with her vision. Now she can actually function like a mostly normal person.

    My sister in law also had back surgery in her upper back a little over a year ago. She had severe scoliosis 45 degree angle and they had to put a titanium rod in her back to straiten it out. She grew an inch and still has pain from time to time but she is a lot better.

    As for your condition, I am not sure how severe your FMS is, but I know that surgeries can cause your FMS to worsen. I would talk to a few more doctors and see what they say. Hope everything works out for you. You'll be in the prayers around here.

    Nellie
    AkA the MacGuyver Mom.
  3. amberini

    amberini New Member

    Hi Abbylee:

    Yes, I had back surgery and it turned out fine. In fact, the disk that had surgery is the only good one I have left.

    I had heard of many people who had unsucessful surgeries. I guess you could say I did it backwards. I had physical therapy, pain rehab, occupational therapy, acupuncture, saw chiropractors for years before I began to think about alternatives.

    And without offending anyone, I did ask for Divine Guidance.

    I have continued to see this doctor because of degenerative problems and he continues to monitor me.
    I did not have a laminectomy or fusion. The doctor did remove the herniation ( which was very large and came out in one piece) as well as reverse the severe spinal stenosis.

    Do your research, ask questions and exhaust all other therapies. Surgery should be the last resort. You won't be as good as new but hopefully, you will be with much less pain and have more mobility.

    Wishing you well, Amberini
  4. abbylee

    abbylee New Member

    Well this is the first time I've heard anyone say that back surgery helped. Thank you for giving me hope.

    I'll start with my research while keeping in mind my fms and perhaps I'll get more positive responses like yours.


    abbylee
  5. Alyndra

    Alyndra New Member

    Had surgery to remove bone fragments from her spinal canel after her L3-L5 disintegrated.

    This was back in '95, and she was told it would prolong her having to have a spinal fusion for no more then 2 years.

    To this day she's never had the spinal fusion done, and she has twice as much mobility then she ever had the 10 years prior to the surgery.

    At the time of surgery she was given an 80% chance of being paralyzed, and of the remaining 20% she was told it would be 50/50 live or die.

    Her only regret is that she took so long deciding to have the surgery!

    Good luck

    ~Amanda
  6. littlebrownwren

    littlebrownwren New Member

    I have had 3 surgeries. All of which were successful.

    They had to remove L4 and L5 disk and do a spinal fusion, using bone from my right hip.

    Before the last surgery I was told there was a 50/50 chance I would be paralyzed in one leg or both. I could lose bowel and bladder control. I was in so much pain I didn't care what they did or what would happen as long as the pain was gone.

    I did have some minor paralysis but soon worked it out and healed. The awful pain was gone also.

    I did have a neurosurgeon and a orthepedic surgeon.

    I have arthritis in my spine but the doctors can't operate to fix that. I will always have a "bad" back but I've never regretted any of the surgeries.

    Each of us are different as each case is different. The only advice I can give is make sure you find a good doctor. A good doctor will do his best to help you find the best solution for yourself.