has anyone had their pupils dilated at opthalmologist...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ameilie73, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

Will I be able to get the train home alone afterwards or do you need someone with you?
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I've had it done in the past but now my doctor has a special high power machine that prints out on the computer what the eye looks like inside. I live fairly close so was able to drive home wearing the wrap around sunglasses they gave me but it took hours for my pupil to go back to normal. I even wore sunglasses in the house. Do you have someone to go with you?
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I was not allowed to drive after I had my eyes dilated. You should be able to take the train by yourself. I went shopping afterwards and didn't have any problems inside the store. It was just outside in the sunlight that caused me problems. Just be sure to have a pair of good sunglasses for afterwards. My opthalmologist didn't tell me this and I couldn't leave the building I was absolutely blinded by the sun light. Fortunately, a gentleman passing by me could see what was happening and gave me his sun glasses. What a sweetie he was!!
  4. tooks

tooks Member

Taking a train should not be a problem but be aware that those drops that dilate the eyes have a form of epinephrine in them and many of us react badly to it. It really makes me feel sick and I have passed on getting my eyes dilated the last couple of times.

Double sunglasses make the light much more tolerable.
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

It takes my eyes a long time for the dilation to leave my eyes too and most of the time those drops make my stomach to feel icky for several hours. I don't like to drive after wards but I do if I can't find a ride. Fortunately it is only a few miles to get back home.
  6. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

Thank you for your replies, no i dont have anyone to go with or take me so ive got to get the train.
  7. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

My ophthalmologist gave me a pair of those large, very dark sunglasses that are worn over the top of my regular glasses. I saw him again just this last Tuesday and they offered me another pair (I declined since I brought my pair with me). If you don't have a pair, I highly recommend you buy them. The last place I saw them available was at a Walgreen's.

I drove home, but even with the glasses I was very uncomfortable (about 1/2 hr. drive). Since you'll be catching a train, I believe you might be okay...as long as you're wearing dark glasses to avoid "sun shock".
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My eye doc doesn't do this anymore. He has all kinds of state-of-the-art equipment and it can take pics of the optical nerve. He does use drops to deaden my eyes for the glaucoma pressure test as my pressure runs a bit high but I don't have glaucoma. He can't use the drops with fluorescene in them 'cause I'm allergic to some forms of fluoride. If y'all have every felt sick after an eye exam, it may be those yellow drops. Four percent of the population is allergic to them.

Love, Mikie
  9. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

took a long shot and asked my cousin to drive me, she said yes, didnt think she would as she only had her baby 12 days ago, he came too. Theres no way i would have been able to get the train. Felt like he'd put honey in my eyes at first all sticky and gunky. Blurred my vision. Yes does make you feel sick felt better with sunglasses on. My cousin calked me "puss in boots" from shrek which made me burst out laughing as i knew exactly what she meant. She said hope police dont pull us over on way home because they will think you are high. My eyes are sore though, definately recommend sunglasses and for me i would not of handled the train, it realky blurred my vision and nearsightedness was impossible would have been dangerous crossing roads and getting to and from station.
    Ive got sutural cataracts. Ive looked them up seen one cause is related to iodine deficiency.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Being brought up Catholic was an advantage because we ate fish at least once a week. Iodine deficiency is also the culprit in some thyroid problems.

It was my eye doc who found my Sjogren's. He has a new computerized machine which tells him the cause of dry eye. My doc did a CRP (my ANA was neg.) and my inflammation was sky high. Of course, Sjogren's is one of the conditions addressed by the peptide injections and after the first one, I drooled like a dog and my eyes teared up. I love my eye doc.

Love, Mikie
  11. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Ameilie...So glad your cousin agreed to take you.:) Having a newborn in the car had to be a treat...sweet!!!:)

I think most of us (including myself) get reactions to the drops. The day mine was done, I had a sleepless night and the only thing I could think of that might have caused it were the drops. Everyone experiences things differently. I have to have my eyes flushed afterward...the preservative in them has a petroleum base and I'm allergic to petroleum products.
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Amellie,

Yes, wear good sun glasses afterwards or sometimes they give you those cheapy things to wear. You will be very sensitive to light. It is just good not to drive especially if it is not really close.. The pupils will go back t normal after a short while.

Let us know how you do. Everyone is different but most people don't have much of a problem unless you have a sensitivity or allergy with the drips.

Love,
    Granny
  13. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

eyes were back to normal when i woke up today. Ive got to see someone about the muscle strength in my eyes and have my eyes tested again. i go back to consultant in 3 months with all my results, the dilating pupil test showed surtural cataracts, im only 38. oh well.
  14. wattsndn

wattsndn Member

IN RESPONSE TO A REACTION TO EYE DROPS : I had little white cysts or pimple like thing grow on my eye lid, warm compress daily til they were gone, I got sinus headaches for about a week, and a sore throat. This was from a routine drops to dilate my pupils, seems like 2 or 3 types in one exam. Eventually went away. But I bought some over the counter Clear Eyes drops and got the same reaction. I never had any reaction prior to this year and I've had many over the years.