Has anyone had to have extensive dental work done?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dleaning, May 18, 2006.

1. dleaning

dleaning New Member

I was just curious to know if anyone out there has had a lot of dental work done because or in link to FM? I was a faithful patient that went to the dentist every 6 mos. for cleanings and RARELY had a cavity! Then about 4-5 years ago, got my first toothache.... To date, I have had 13 root canals and 4 teeth pulled. I do grind my teeth bad, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems!

Thanks,
    Dawn
  2. Strawberry94

Strawberry94 New Member

My teeth are simply self destructing. I have CFS. I never had that many cavities until now either. It is so hard to deal with dental work with the nausea/vertigo, anxiety, neck pain thing. It is like I never took care of my teeth at all and I am so ashamed of it.

It really makes me wonder about the whole Vitamin D and CFS thing. Maybe this is a part of it.
  3. tomcollins

tomcollins New Member

I just finished getting two implants in today. I had 3 oral surgeries(a bone graph, implant surgery, and gum reduction) and it just so happens that was when I finally realized that something was really wrong with me.

Since being diagnosed I found that dental procedures were much more painful. I also experienced more bleeding due to my medications.

I recently got my first cavity as well...and I brush my teeth religiously.I have TMJ and grind a lot too...that is what caused the cavity. The grinding wore down the enamel.

I have always wondered if those surgeries had something to do with the first inital flare up of FMS...since then it has gotten progressively worse.

4. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Yes, I don't do well after my visit either. I hurt all over from tensing up with the pain. Yes, it does hurt HUNDRED TIMES WORSE than normal. I also have a horrible time keeping my mouth open as it triggers spasms in my neck. Also, does anyone have what they call "Hairy Tongue"?

Thanks for the posts! Nice to know that other people have the same situations!!

Dawn
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Dawn,
    Boy, you surely have sruck a note!

I went to a Dr. who had once had CFIDS/Fibro, and he discovered that his was triggered by bone marrow infections caused by poorly done root canals.

He said that he had over 70 patients who were in the same boat. As it turns out, I have 4 pockets of infection at the base of 4 root canals.(These were verified by nuclear scans and biopsies). I would be a lot better if I could take antibiotics.

To date, I've lost all of the teeth on my upper left side, and am in danger of losing more. I surely wish I had dental insurance! LOL!
    Terry
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I have; however, it has not been due to the fibro. It was from my genetic makeup! Everyone in my family has had to have a lot of work done--we all just have weak teeth.
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

for nearly seven yrs. After I got them off I had 9 cavities. So, right after I got them off, I had to have all of these taken care of. They say that when you have braces on for a long time, that they can damage you teeth. I have had a lot of dental work done, even before I wore braces. Scary thought.
  8. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I've never had really great teeth but my parents religiously took me to the dentist every 6 months. I always had at least one cavity. Bad teeth run in my family. When my husband and I started having children I insisted that they see the dentist every 6 months and my husband and I went as well. Over the past 7 or 8 years, on every visit I have 3-4 cavaties. I don't even remember the number of root canals, posts, caps, etc. My dentist bill is sky high because of me.

I discovered the "root" (sorry) of all my problems is related to all of the medications that I take that have the side effect of dry mouth. Because my mouth is so dry all day the food sticks there and eats away at the enamel. The dentist verified that medications that cause dry mouth are the number one enemy for tooth decay. In 6 months I can get a cavity and have it eat away at my tooth so I have to have a root canal before it's ever discovered.

I can't even eat pizza anymore because even the mildest pepperoni burns my mouth. I can't eat anything the least bit spicy. I carry my water jug with me everywhere I go to keep my mouth moist but it's not enough. At night it's worse. I've tried the sprays and I keep water at my bedside.

The dental hygienist can't even clean my teeth without numbing them because they are so tender. Everyone in the office is very gentle with me and numb me up good before any procedure. When they are doing dental work on me I sit with clenched fists and curled toes. I'm totally exhausted when I get out of there. Then I go home,my pain intensifies for a couple of days, just long enough to heal up before I go in and finish the rest of the procedure. My neck and shoulders hurt so bad when they work on me that the dentist went and bought me a little pillow that they keep in one of their cupboards.

Consider looking at the side effects of your meds Dawn. I bet a lot of them cause the dry mouth which sets you up for all kinds of problems. LuAnn
    [This Message was Edited on 05/18/2006]
  9. Strawberry94

Strawberry94 New Member

This is probably the root cause of my problems with my teeth. I have taken a lot of anti vertigo meds over the last ten years. Before then I took a lot of bladder relaxants. They also dry the mouth.
  10. TxSongBird

TxSongBird New Member

but the last dental visit I had which was in March for a rebuild of part of a tooth that had a crown on it, but had broken was extremely painful. After my dental visit and the novacaine shots which didn't numb me, I wasn't able to get out of bed for two days as my neck and back were killing me. I think the novacaine that the dentist shoots in my gums settled in my neck and upper back and literally made me toxic. I am so nervous as to what will I do the next time I have to have a filing re done or a root canal. I think I will spend the money to go to a sedation dentist and not have to go through what I did the last time.

TxSongBird
  11. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Hi Dawn,

I'm a mess. I grind too and mabe that's whats going on now.

Ive had a tooth ache for a week thinking it was TMJ at first.

Went to a dentist today and he said there was a spot on the root but didnt think it was an abcess. He then went to work on grinding my teeth without novacaine or anything.
    I'm in so much pain now and still need to see someone who can determine what it is. An endodontist if the penicillin doesnt clear it up.

I'm mad. He didnt even improve my bite and made a mess of my teeth. He made sharp points on two places and hollowed out the bad tooth too much. It already had the nerve going nuts!!

sorry, I really needed to vent.
    Carolyn in Ill
  12. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

not sure if it is from the FM or when I started taking meds for osteoporosis. All of a sudden I was getting pain in all my teeth and ended up having root canals and crowns on almost all of my teeth.

I still have severe osteoporosis and taking Actonel. Now, there is news that oral surgeons are saying osteo meds cause necrosis of the jaw. I'm beginning to wonder if this was my problem.

Tania
  13. foxyred

foxyred New Member

YES!!! I have had extensive dental work done to the point that I now have my teeth in a plastic bowl in the bathroom!!!! My teeth got soft and would break when I ate jello!!! After I found out I had something that had a name--fibro, seems like there was no hope after that!! My dentist did everything he could to save my teeth and I did too. Nothing worked. I've always wondered if I was the only one this happened to. Now I know I'm not!! Thank you for your question.
    foxy
  14. ABH

ABH New Member

I recently had an infected tooth which was extracted and then a majorily infected dental implant (classified by my dentist as a 'spectacular failure') that had to be removed. Were these infections caused by CFS/a compromised immune system or vice versa??? I'm afraid I'm no longer a candidate for implants with a recent diagnosis of CFS - will oral surgeons be afraid to work on me now?

PS: I'm new to the diagnosis and just learning.

Great board.
  15. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

yes Dawn, my teeth have been absolutely awful since I developed FMS/CFS 19 years ago. Now I don't have further work done on them, I have then removed because they're crumbling anyway.
  16. lisagra

lisagra New Member

Hi adl:

i'm curious to learn more about the doc you see who has many patients w/cfids b/c of bad dental work.

i'd like to see this doc.

tx, lisa
  17. Empower

Empower New Member

I am at the dentist at least twice a month.

I've had 2 root canals in two years and I'm near having a third
  18. jane32

jane32 New Member

I have an extremely high level of vitamin D but my teeth are awfula nd soft so I don't think vitamin D is the problem.

My teeth got worse when I got mny braces off and now I have a million fillings and crowns.
  19. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have trouble with my gums.Treatment cost about 6000 and seems to be an on going thing.I never had cavity's til I had 1 at age 18.
    In the last two years I've had 2 root canals and all the teeth on my right bottom pulled out and one on the bottom left.I have been told this can be a family thing and my mother and father both had farce teeth .I'm trying to hold on lol