Has anyone had with FM been diagnosed with Lupus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hidlyn, Oct 23, 2005.

1. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

I've been wondering about the few crossovers between Lupus and FM. In 1999 the doctors didn't believe I had Lupus, but CFIDS and FM. However, I have developed photosensitivity, white spots on the backs of my fingers and other things mildly related to Lupus. I'm going to ask the doctor again, but I was wondering if anyone had originally been diagnosed with FM/CFIDS and then finally was diagnosed with FM. Or can the two exist at the same time?

Thanks for any input.

Heidi
  2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

As a matter of fact, I have been diagnosed with CFS, but on a recent visit to a Rheumatologist, she did a test called Antihistone antibody, and the result was a strong/positive. My regular MD didn't know what that meant, so I looked it up online, and discovered that it is one of the tests that is done for Lupus. So, now here I am with more information which is leading me nowhere it seems. I do know that people with CFIDS have a lot of the same symptoms as Lupus. When I feel better I will do more research. Maybe someone else on the board can help us both. Check online. Marie
  3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

They are all part of the same "family" of conditions, so it is highly possible that you have cross-over symptoms. Actually, I was tested for lupus first before being diagnosed with FM/CFS because my aunt and a great aunt both have lupus.
  4. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm going through the same thing. I've felt so much better since taking prednisone and I know that doesn't happen with fibro.

My doctor says that I am full of inflammation, again, not a part of fibromyalgia.

My doctors have not said that I have Lupus, but they sure keep dancing around the issue. I would like to know because I'm sure there are other meds that could probably help me more if they would start treating me as if I had Lupus.

I'm so confused and frustrated. Oh, and yes, you can have both fibro and Lupus at the same time.
    Tigger
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Some of the symptoms of fibro and lupus are the same. Lupus is also hard to diagnose. There are also three types of lupus. I have the systemic lupus--the most serious type.

Lupus can affect your organs--kidneys, heart, brain, etc. and can be fatal. My beautician's SIL just died of lupus--it had gone to her brain and she was very ill and suffered tremdously for a year before she passed away.

Listed below is a list of symptoms--it will show you that some of the fibro symptoms are the same as those of lupus:

Lupus Symptoms List

TABLE 1. SYMPTOMS OF LUPUS

Percentage Symptom

95% Achy joints (arthralgia)
    90% Fever over 100 degrees F (38 degrees C)
    81% Prolonged or extreme fatigue
    90% Arthritis (swollen joints)
    74% Skin Rashes
    71% Anemia
    50% Kidney Involvement
    45% Pain in the chest on deep breathing (pleurisy)
    42% Butterfly-shaped rash across the cheeks and nose
    30% Sun or light sensitivity (photosensitivity)
    27% Hair loss
    17% Raynaud's phenomenon (fingers turning white and/or blue in the cold)
    15% Seizures
    12% Mouth or nose ulcers

Diagnosis

Because many lupus symptoms mimic other illnesses, are sometimes vague and may come and go, lupus can be difficult to diagnose.

Diagnosis is usually made by a careful review of a person's entire medical history coupled with an analysis of the results obtained in routine laboratory tests and some specialized tests related to immune status.
    Currently, there is no single laboratory test that can determine whether a person has lupus or not.

To assist the physician in the diagnosis of lupus, the American Rheumatism Association issued a list of 11 symptoms or signs that help distinguish lupus from other diseases (see Table 2). A person should have four or more of these symptoms to suspect lupus. The symptoms do not all have to occur at the same time.

TABLE 2

THE ELEVEN CRITERIA USED FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OF LUPUS

Criterion Definition:

• Malar Rash
    Rash over the cheeks
    Discoid Rash
    Red raised patches

• Photosensitivity
    Reaction to sunlight, resulting in the development of or increase in skin rash

• Oral Ulcers
    Ulcers in the nose or mouth, usually painless

• Arthritis
    Nonerosive arthritis involving two or more peripheral joints (arthritis in which the bones around the joints do not become destroyed)

• Serositis

• Pleuritis or pericarditis

• Renal Disorder
    Excessive protein in the urine (greater than 0.5 gm/day or 3+ on test sticks) and/or cellular casts (abnormal elements the urine, derived from red and/or white cells and/or kidney tubule cells)

• Neurologic

• Seizures
    (convulsions) and/or psychosis in the absence of drugs or metabolic disturbances which are known to cause such effects

• Hematologic
    Hemolytic anemia or leukopenia (white bloodcount below 4,000 cells per cubic millimeter) or lymphopenia (less than 1,500 lymphocytes per cubic millimeter) or thrombocytopenia (less than 100,000 platelets per cubic millimeter). The leukopenia and lymphopenia must be detected on two or more occasions. The thrombocytopenia must be detected in the absence of drugs known to induce it.

• Immunologic
    Positive LE prep test, positive anti-DNA test positive anti-Sm test or false positive syphilis test (VDRL).
    Positive test for antinuclear antibodies in the absence of drugs known to induce it.

Adapted from: Tan, E.M., et. al. The 1982 Revised Criteria for the Classification of SLE. Arth Rheum 25:

6. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

i will take this info with me to my doctor on Thursday!!

Heidi
  7. board

board New Member

hello my name is jill i had sarcoidosis frist then fms cfs i was told it is one of the sercond illness to sarcoid there are a few more illness you can get once you have sarcoid and i think lupus and sarcoid are the same in same ways hope this helps jill
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Gosh.. I've been being tested for Lupus for the last 10 years!! The doc's ran my ANA ran 5 or 6 times.. there is a lot of overlap symptoms.. My Rhumie told me this time when I came in though after 10 years of this if I haven't developed organ problems he felt he could rule it out.. I look at the criteria list on Lupus and the only ones I don't have is organ problems.. I get rashes, lesions, raynaulds, fevers, yada..yada.. it goes on.. Now I do know several gals that I became friends with here on the old Lupus board that have both.. It can happen. Good luck Heidi!
    Dona