Has anyone heard about this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, Sep 3, 2005.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

Has anyone heard about a dr in Tahoe by the name of Whitcomb? He claims that the 1st vertibre in the neck is the cause of fibro. You go to him and have to stay there for 2 to 3 months. Cost $2,500 a month. Then you have the cost of a place to stay and food or anything else you need. A friend of mine in California is going there. Does this sound like a scam, or do you think this is on the up and up?
    Carol
  2. JimB

JimB New Member

Might have been Arizona.
    hmmm. Maybe someone else remembers more.
    Jim
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is called Chiari. It is not the cause of all FMS. There are other docs who treat this. Go online and do some research before commiting to that kind of time and money. Good luck. BTW, beware of anyone who claims to know the "cause" of our illnesses or claims to have "cured" it.

Love, Mikie
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I've not had this done, but have spent a fortune on a course ofcranial osteopathy because the practitioner promised a cure. I ended up with much more neck pain & much less money. Be careful!
  5. teller7

teller7 New Member

I feel the same way you all do. This gal can afford to do this. No way could I and I still don't think I would do it. She's been a patient of Dr. StArmond (don't think I spelled that right) and Dr. Tietlebalm and she's still sick. There is NO miracle cure for us!!!!!!!!!
  6. fahan

fahan New Member

I always thought my head wasn't on quite right, Not that

far off though!! lol fahan
  7. Musica

Musica New Member

I know there is something called Arnold Chiari Malformation that has to do with the neck. I had an MRI to test for that, not many radiology centers that do the flexion/extension views of the cervical spine, I guess. My rheumy sent me for it. There is more than one cause of FMS, though, and often post-traumatic. I wonder if anyone has checked him out. Does he claim to be able to cure FMS?
  8. angelstarr

angelstarr New Member

My Son, Daughter, Father, and myself all have an extra vertabre in our neck. right below the atlas, and we all have 2 sets of collar bones. WE all have severe Headaches, cervical subluxation that worsens as we age, my daughter has had severe sinus problems/allergies/infections/osteomylitis since childhood with so many surgeries she now has all her turbinates and ethmoid bones removed and must be extremely careful if she gets an infection.

I do know there is no cure but wonder how much of this is genetic. She is beginning to show signs of FM (she is 24)
    My son is 20 and suffers chronic neck pain and headaches, another classic sign, however is too "macho" (sorry guys it's just his age) to admit to being chronically ill

I have severe RA, OA, FM, and a malady of other syndroms and symptoms that continue to go unnamed. My Dad, had OA, RA, and Severe Neck and spinal stenosis with several back surgeries and fusions.

Just wonder how much of this is all connected..(no pun intended)
  9. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Hi Carol:

The Dr is Paul Whitcomb. My husbands uncle is a retired pediatrician and he is determined to cure my fibro. He emailed me the transcript of the interview.

On the bottom it does say the source was http://www.newstarget.com/008526.html

If you can't get it on this and want to email me at [email address removed], I will forward the interview to you.

M J
  10. venning

venning New Member

I was considering going to Dr. Whitcomb for treatment of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. When I spoke with him and his assistant Julie on the phone they claimed that 85 to 95% of his patients recover. I was so excited I almost took out a $10,000 loan so I could go for treatment.

But first, I decided to do an online search to see if I could find out more information about him. I searched using "dr. whitcomb fibromyalgia" in the title and this yielded some interesting and VERY negative results about him and his treatment from his former patients. Many of them were worse or no better after receiving his treatment. These people also kept in contact with his other patients who were receiving treatment at the same time and they too benefited little from his treatment.

This information was posted on the web site of a major book seller in the comment section where his book is listed for sale. I notified Dr. Whitcomb's office that I would no longer be coming to his clinic for treatment and I explained that the reason was because I had read these comments from his former patients and I told him where I had read them. Within hours Dr. Whitcomb and his staff flagged all of the negative reviews on this particular site as "inappropriate" and they were automatically removed thru an automated voting system.

I wish they were still posted on that site because they saved me thousands of dollars on a treatment that appears to be benefitting very few people. I only hope other people who are considering going to his clinic for treatment do their homework and don't just trust the doctor's stats from his mouth alone.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2007]