Has anyone heard of Rolfing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scoop, May 24, 2003.

1. scoop

scoop New Member

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of the Rolfing technique?It is used to treat the bodies myofascial system from my understanding. I guess similiar to a chiropractor but instead the practioner adjusts the muscles and tissues instead of the spine.

A friend mentioned it has helped people with Fibromyalgia so i wanted to look into it more. Not sure if the technique would be too painful though to try. Any information is helpful.

Thanks,
    Take care
    Scoop
  2. kimo

kimo New Member

Yes, I have heard of this. Do not know much about it but only know basically what you posted. Try it, it may help, if so let us know. I know what you mean about making you worse sometimes stuff like that can start a flare for me....Tootles KIM
  3. spatialbean

spatialbean New Member

A friend of mine with fibro was Rolfed and she loved it, but she has always liked very deep tissue massage, something I have never been able to tolerate, so I don't think I could tolerate Rolfing. I think it depends on the person.

Rolfing has been around quite a while. I heard about it eons ago and at that time I didn't know that I felt pain differently from others, although I had a suspicion but just thought I was a weenie. I could not imagine being Rolfed, just the thought gave me shivers.

If you found someone you thought you could work with, you could try a few spots and see if it was tolerable or if you had to call "uncle".

Hugs,
    Claudia
  4. healing

healing New Member

As I understand it, this is a very invasive treatment and if you have many tender spots, it would be almost intolerable. I'd recommend myofascial release therapy if you can get it.
  5. baybe

baybe New Member

they massage you using their fists and tear the muscle away from the bone and tendons. I had my right shoulder done in what was considered mild form and it has never been right again. What can happen is the fascia can actually be rolled back from the muscle and bunch up, tightening around the muscle in the wrong place. I don't think I'd ever do this. I heard about it years ago, before fibro, I didn't think I'd do it then, either. What was done to my right shoulder was by a regular masseuse that slid it in, and I have regretted letting her touch me ever since.
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I now have only Soft Tissue Swedish Massage's. My Best friend is a M.T. and she tried that Rolfing on me and it made my Inflamatory Bowel Syndrome worse. It hurt so bad and the Trigger Point called 'McByrney's Point" swelled up, every Dr. thought I had a Tumor, and I went through some really Nasty, Needless test's, just to discover, by chance through a conversation with a P.T. who also does Massage Thereahpy, that the Rolfing was acting making me sick.

I also lost about 70 lbs during this time, but I think a lot was due to the Stress and Pain I was under at the time.
    Plus I wasn't yet dx with the FMS/CMP/OA.

Now Noone does any Rough Treatments on me, plus I have had so many surgery's that the scar tissue themselves have made Trigger Points in my Neck, Abdomon (SP?) and right arm, so I am in Pain as they say, 24/7, so I find the gentle Massages more Befinical for my problems.

Hope you find the type that will help you, for me they are a Treat, and when I hit that Big old Lottery, I'm gonna Hire a Full Time Massage Theraphist, before I hire my Housekeeper, lol.

Sincerely
    kredca4