Has anyone heard of taking Topamax for Fibromyalgia?-Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deenapooh, Aug 7, 2003.

1. deenapooh

deenapooh New Member

My doctor increased my dose of Topamax now to 100 mg twice a day today. I have migraines and FM, and am having a flare, and so she said she would increase it from 50 mg twice a day to 100 mg twice a day. Does this sound right to you? She talked like she would increase it more, and more.

I would appreciate some opinions on this.

Hugs,

Deena
  2. deenapooh

deenapooh New Member

Madwolf, someone, help.
  3. deenapooh

deenapooh New Member

sorry...one more BUMP
  4. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I still haven't started taking it yet because I am afraid of side effects, but my doctor prescribed Topamax for FM.
    The nurse there told me most people are on at least 200 mg a day.
  5. mamafrey

mamafrey New Member

Yes, they use it also for pain. I was first on Neurotin for 4 mths. switched to the topamax, but the tompamax kept me wired and my throat was numb. Went off of it and went back on the neurotin. Neurotin is basically the same as the topamax. They start you out gradually and slowly take you up on both of them. Tompamax is more useful for the headaches and migraines also. Hope this helped. mamafrey
  6. gaskinsb

gaskinsb New Member

I was on topamax shortly I was diagnosed. I don't think it did much for me. The dr. told me the only side effect was losing weight, which I did a lot. That was good. I was taken off this by my great new doctor who has helped so much.
  7. gaskinsb

gaskinsb New Member

I was on topamax shortly I was diagnosed. I don't think it did much for me. The dr. told me the only side effect was losing weight, which I did a lot. That was good. I was taken off this by my great new doctor who has helped so much.
  8. deenapooh

deenapooh New Member

It helped my headaches at first, but it seems i become resistant and have to go up and up. One good side effect, i suppose, is that I used to love to drink Coca-cola, and now i hate it. I only drink water, and sometimes tea. So i am sure that is good for me. We will see how 100 mg twice a day helps the pain. I need to lose some weight also. I lost a little, but nothing to brag about. I have been on Topamax for about 6 weeks, and maybe lost 6 pounds. I lost 15 at first, but have gained most of them back, probably because i have been in so much pain for a month i have been very sedentary.

Thanks.
  9. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

Been on for several months lost tens pounds though eating less, more walking, and added water aerobics. The topomax has helped stave off major flares which kept me down for days at a time.

Keep up posted on your progress.
  10. Dee33K

Dee33K New Member

I have been on it now for about 4 or 5 months. It is great for Fibro. Second to warm water therapy, it is the best thing I do for myself. Read the other postings re:topamx. Not for everyone but I'd advise a try.
    Dee
  11. fairyborn

fairyborn New Member

Good Day,
    I have just started taking topamax, it has been about 2 weeks so far. It has worked wonders for me. I feel it is worth a try.
    Faiyborn
  12. ekobus

ekobus New Member

but I had the unfortunate side effect of numbing and tingling in my face and tongue. I wish I could have taken it longer now hearing that it helps fms. I was taking it as a mood stablizer and for headaches. Ack! It seems most of the stuff I take has bad side effects for me or I am allergic. Good luck!
  13. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

The horrible side effect of weight loss, I see you tomorrow and it is on my list to ask for, I am aware of the dire consequences and if I do lose weight on it, (God forbid I should ever wear normal size clothes again) I will just try to tough it out on my way to the mall to buy clothes anywhere BUT Lane Bryant!!!!

Jaci
  14. lisaermd

lisaermd New Member

So it sounds like Topamax is like Neurontin except it has a side effect of weight loss. How about sleep? Does it have a side effect of insomnia? Neurontin is suppose to help with sleep. I would like to try Topamax but am worried about what it will do to my sleep. Any thoughts?
  15. LABullard1212

LABullard1212 New Member

UNFORTONATE SIDE EFFECT OF WEIGHT LOSS??????? when so many of us are fighting to loose weight? Gee, I've been on Topamax for 6 months. Its had its benefits, but other meds. have caused me to gain weight. I'd love to lose just 10 lbs. but, as hard as I try I can't.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2003]
  16. mamacilla

mamacilla New Member

when i first went on topamax, it caused insomnia, so
    now i take it in the mornings and don't have the
    problem. i do take ambien at bedtime.
    i have only lost 7 lbs in 6 months, but that is sure
    better than nothing!