Has anyone heard of the relation of fibro fog and Alzheimers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darvick, Aug 6, 2006.

1. darvick

darvick New Member

My spouse goes to my old family doc which was wonderful , I had to go on county insurance and he doesnt take it :(
    Anyway they got to talking about my fibro fog, which was really concerning my mate. His first question was have i had a pet scan, she said no but every other one. Well he said that that type of scan would show alzheimers and for some fm and trauma can triggure early alz. I looked and could not find anything on this, but of all the docs ive had he helped me the most, and do trust his judgement. So im gonna see if my doc will do one. It does make scense tho, fm effects our nervous systems and brain , but it is a frightening thought. Spouse was very supportive and said if its nothing than we know , if it is we well do every thing we can.
    Any thoughts???
    Hugs
    Dar
  2. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I have heard many FM people question whether they might have Alzheimers, on this board and also at support meetings.

I have also seen posts here questioning whether FM will develop into Alzheimers.

So far I have heard no evidence that Alzheimers is connected to FM.

There are people on this board who have had FM for a very long time. I think if many of us were progressing into Alzheimers, then we would be aware of any connection by now.

The main difference between Fibrofog and Alzheimers seems to be that with the fog, you are aware that you have a problem. Also if someone reminds you of a word that you can't recall, then you will recognise the word, unlike those with alzheimers.

Doctors are often not even aware that cognitive problems (fog) are a part of FM, yet it is not unusual for fog to be quite severe, and disabling. Just check out some of the fog posts on this board.

There is reserch that shows that FM may cause deficiency of blood circulation to some areas of the brain. Maybe this is what is causing our fog problem.

Anyway, I think it is a good idea for you to go ahead with the test rather than be worrying.

All the best to you
    Robyn

3. lucky

lucky New Member

I had 2 MRI's lately which both showed minor brain atrophy, and my CFS doctor believes that this is the reason for my cognitive problems. Now we all get some atrophy when we get older, but if mine is connected to CFS I don't know, and I wish I could find an answer.

Best wishes, Lucky