Has anyone heard this from a doctor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skymage, Nov 10, 2005.

1. skymage

skymage New Member

I recently was sent to a new rheumy for some reason, even though I didn't ask to go. (It was a VA thing.) Anyway this so called rheumy first insulted me by saying what makes you think you have fibro, you read about it and decided that must be what you have? NO THE USAF DIAGNOSED ME WITH IT I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT BEFORE. Then this guy says that Fibro is strictly an american disease and no other country has fibromyalgia. I just don't believe that don't some of you live in other countries besides the US and have fibro?

Skymage
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

You need to find a new doctor!! I have never heard such an absurd statement from a doctor, and my prior doctor said some pretty absurd things too. That one definitely takes the cake!!

Good luck!
    Leanne
  3. skymage

skymage New Member

Very strange just as I finished typing my note the VA called apologizing for that guy (now that was unexpected) and offered to make me an appt with another doctor. So I'll try him. I'm really not sure I need a rheumy I have SLE too but my GP has been taking care of me for two years and doing a great job. But for some reason the VA says I have to see one so they'll keep filling my meds. You guys in other countries are so lucky you can get meds. The ones the VA won't pay for, I have to order from Canada and hope the DEA doesn't break down my door. :) (Just joking I don't think they'll waste their time on me.)
  4. orachel

orachel New Member

He might as well have said "this is a disorder manifested in the brains of bored attention seeking housewives who've gotten a little depressed with their middle class existance"....clearly that is what he meant.

No excuse for this sort of thinking whatsoflippingever!!! NONE! We've all encountered it, but this could not be further from the truth.

This is a medical condition...its now (tragically!) being diagnosed in many toddlers. Nor is it a particulary new disease...people have been referring to "fibrosis" (old name) for well over a hundred years, in many countries.

Do you have to continue seeing this doctor?

If he's so sure you don't have fibro, what does he think you have? Wait...no...lemme guess...He thinks you're depressed, right? Need to see a psychiatrist?

Well...take it from a woman who heard that from one too many doctors, and finally decided...hey! If this is in my head somehow (though of course in my brain I knew this wasn't true), lets go get checked out! If its in my head, maybe its FIXABLE! And I won't be a 30 year old woman who can barely move, housebound, now with a cane!!

Went to a reknowned psychiatrist. She spoke to me for an hour. Looked at all of my medical records. Asked why I was there....of course I said because all of the doctors keep telling me I need psychiatric help. She says "you're not in a deep depression...you don't even have an anxiety disorder...what you've got is stress. Which is perfectly natural for a 30 year old newlywed who can no longer do 1/10th of the things you could only 6 months ago."

I asked her why these docs just kept insisting I was in a deep depression and needed help. Told her I'd been in a depression in the past, and this didn't feel anything like that! She told me that so many male doctors will look at a female patient with FM or CFS in distress...because the last 3 or 4 treatments the male doc has tried just flat out didn't work...and they automatically decide that the patient is a "hysterical female", and must be in need of psychiatric help.

I walked out of there totally vindicated. I'd let the docs almost talk me into doubting myself and my sanity....

Don't you let this idjit do the same to you! He's clearly and underinfomed doctor who has NO RIGHT attempting to treat a disorder he so clearly KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT!!!

Ok...climbing off my soapbox.

But don't go to him, ok? Report him whereever you can!

Hugs,
    Rachel

And PS>...In this case, I'll break out the old break up line....its not you, its HIM! LOL
  5. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I guess it's hard to think quickly when he put you on the spot like that, but it would have been nice to say something like, "I think it is terrific that you don't think that fibromyalgia exists. Now maybe you can help me get to the bottom of what is really causing me to have so much pain and all these bizarre symptoms. I'm looking forward to working with you so that we can solve these horrid problems before they kill me."

Just a thought. Grrrrr.......... :)
  6. skymage

skymage New Member

As he was insulting me, first telling me I dind't have fibro - I'm no housewife I was a SGT in the USAF... then he tells me I don't have SLE either because my ANA is negative - it's negative a lot civilian rheumy's say that is normal. Anyway, his diagnosis is that I'm overweight - I'm 5'5" and 165, a few pounds I could lose but geez that kinda weight does'nt put you on SS disability, and you don't get that unless something is wrong... plus he says I must have sleep apnea- don't know where that came from. Plus all the kidney infections I have don't mean anything. Then he asked why is my liver function down, what are you an alcoholic??? I've never drank in my life I just don't like it. So yeah he's a goner, I won't see him again. And I reported him to the VA and they are gonna set me up with a new guy. So we'll see how this guy thinks.

Good luck to you guys. I just wanted to know if anyone ever heard of a strictly american disease. As I never have. That's just silly.