Has anyone here been tested for Glaucoma?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libra55, Mar 13, 2006.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

Well, first came Fibromyalgia in 2000, then Asthma in 2003, followed by Crohn's Disease in 2005. Now one would think that would be enough. Right?

Today I had my yearly eye exam, the pressure in my eyes is slightly elevated and my optic nerve is "cupped" too much in one eye and my corneas are way too thin. Probably from all the prednisone I took to get the Crohn's under control. Also my peripheral vision has deteriorated.

The doc thinks this could be the beginnings of glaucoma so I have to go back and have some "visual field testing" to see if that's what it is.

Anybody familiar with this? Anyone living with glaucoma and how do you manage it?

Just another day in the life.........

Michelle
  2. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

3. sabs

sabs New Member

They were abnormal in my right eye twice. I just got a call today from the Dr's office saying he wants me to do another test. However, after looking up the meds I am currently taking, glaucoma symptoms are the side effects of a couple of them. I think I'll wait on the new test until I talk to my Dr about changing the meds.
    Hope this helps,
    Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 03/13/2006]
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Michelle - My dad has had glaucoma for at least 40 years, I don't know how long exactly. He manages it with daily drops. So I get tested every year because my chances of getting it are higher because he has it. But he's been fine all this time, because of the drops. So it is manageable without a lot of fuss.

I think Susan had a very good idea to look up the side effects of her drugs, and saw that glaucoma symptoms are effects of some of them. If I were you, I would check out whatever drugs you are taking and see what the side effects are. Don't rely on your doctor to tell you what they are.

Mary
  5. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Usually, cupping of the nerve indicates that pressure has damaged the nerve.

Visual field testing will establish if you have lost peripheral vision, or other vision from having elevated intraoccular pressures.

There is a test, and the name escapes me, which can be done to assist your doctor in knowing which pressures your eyes, and the nerves can tolerate, without damage.

I have pigment dispersion glaucoma in both eyes. In that, there is a problem with the eye, which causes a rubbing on the iris of the eye, and it chips away at the pigment rods and they break away. They then clump together and form Krukenberg Spindles, and the pigment will slowly break away from those and block the trabeculum, or drainage system of the eyes, thus increasing intraoccular pressure.

There are, however, several types of glaucoma as in narrow angle and wide angle and the pigment dispursion, which I have. The wide angle usually results in gradual increases which usually respond to medication. Narrow angles can result in sudden, acute onset of very high intraoccular pressure.

The pigment dispersion type is usually found in one eye in males. For me, lucky one, female in both eyes. They now have a laser which can be used to correct the defect which knocks the pigment free before the problem progresses, but mine had progressed way too far before the laser became available.

Drops are controlling the one eye, bit the other eye required a trabeculectomy, which failed, the pressure hit 44, and I had to have a redo trabeculectomy, which rarely are successful. Thankfully, six weeks on bedrest in a dark room with sunglasses, very little activity, and NO LIFTING and the second worked. IT did, however, cause a cataract which had to be removed 14 months after the trabeculectomy, because it was a traumatic cataract due to the surgery and was hardening rapidly.

I used my dark sense of humor, and congratulated the eye surgeon, when he gloated over how well the second surgery went, by saying the surgery was a success, the only problem is that you blinded me to keep me from going blind. His nurses just howled with laughter.

I can, however, see now with the cataract removed and with an intraoccular lens.

Good luck with your case.

Just keep a close eye on the pressures, the visual fields, and ask NOW IF THERE IS A LASER SURGERY WHICH COULD NIP IT IN THE BUD.
  6. libra55

libra55 New Member

For responding to my post. There's a lot of good info there. I go back for the additional tests in a couple of weeks. I hope it is not glaucoma and just a fluke from being on all that pred for so long. I'm not on that any more but I do take 6Mp and Klonopin.

Anyway it sounds manageable.

Michelle
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

He is 52 and has had it since he was 35 years old. He gets a checkup every 6 months and is on drops. That is what is controlling it, the drops he uses.

The eye doc told him if those drops didn't work, he would need laser surgery on his eyes, but luckily the drops did work and he has only lost some side vision.

I have diabetes, so I get my eyes checked every year and they do check for glaucoma and I'm okay. I'm sorry you have this on you in addition to everything else.

My husband has the visual field testing done every year. His mother has it in one eye, but doesn't need any treatment yet. So it was genetic.

Hugs,
    Faye