Has anyone here tried food allergy / gluten free diet ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xchocoholic, Feb 19, 2006.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi
    This is my first post here.
    I have had CFIDS and FIbro for 16 years. Recently, I went on the food allergy / sensitivity and gluten free diets and have noticed some improvements. I'm not as tired and my stomach problems are practically gone. I was just wondering if others with this illness have tried them with any success ? Thanks
  2. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Sounds Interesting! I need more info, what can you tell me?
    Welcome to the board, alot of great help here!
    TIA~Karen
  3. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

6 1/2 yrs for Microscopic colitis, & didn't notice any difference w/the FM/CFS. I'm now back on gluten, after having a colonoscopy & the MC is healed, but left w/IBS. Doing ok w/the gluten now. I do still have to watch my "trigger" foods tho'. All trial & error...siiigghh...

Hope you keep on improving.
    Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

Yes, I had allergy tests which showed that I was allergic to all gluten foods.

I stopped eating them, and took probiotics which completely cured my IBS, which had been very painful.

Good luck to you!
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I've noticed that when I stopped eating wheat, corn, dairy and eggs, the bouts of "D" stopped. I took the wheat challenge a couple of weeks ago and noticed that I felt very sleepy and had stomach cramps. I need to test it once more before I can be sure.
    I can't find your post right now so that I can reply, so bear with me.
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I am just learning the difference between celiac disease and gluten allergy. I have seen that people with celiac disease, where the villi are flattened, have very similar symptoms to those with CFIDS and fibro. I am wondering if I am really Celiac and not CFIDS.
  7. HAPPYDOGSUZ7777

HAPPYDOGSUZ7777 New Member

Aloha,
    I had a celiac blood panel test done and was positive.
    I have been off gluten for a year now and have seen a great improvement in how I feel.
  8. kbak

kbak Member

Yep, I'm gluten free. I do feel it makes a difference. Altho I still have short term memory problem's, it has really helped the foggy feeling go away.

K.
  9. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Good to know I'm not alone here. THis is the first thing I have tried in 16 years that made a dent in the brain fog. The memory problems are still there. So, I'm still a dummy.

I didn't have any of the celiac testing done. And now that I have been gluten free for 6 months it's too late for some of the tests. I'm really not ready to go have another endoscopy to check for flattened villi. Still, it would love to have scientific proof of CD.

I've noticed an increase in my energy too, but I am spending all of it preparing food. How long have ya'll been on the cd diet and how rigid are you doing avoiding wheat, etc? Did you find you had other food allergies too? I am allergic / sensitive to soy, eggs, dairy, nuts, etc.
  10. vickiw

vickiw Member

hi,

I've been on a gluten free diet since Dec 19. Got through Christmas OK (my family was WONDERFUL about it). I've been as strict as I can be except for the occasional mistake. It's a difficult diet, particularly for eating out - which is when I've gotten glutened by accident.

I haven't been tested because I started out with a candida diet in October and I felt so much better. After a while, I decided to keep the sugar out of my diet and eat only healthy wheats. I felt worse right away, so I went off wheat, rye, barley and oats. Once you're gluten free, the tests won't show anything.

Around the same time, I found out that the daughters of 2 cousins (under age 12) can't tolerate wheat. Then I found out that my brother can't either (I knew he had problems with oats, but he had never mentioned reactions to wheat - his problems came up within the last few years). I've found out in my research that Celiac's runs in families. Hmmmmmmmm.

Brother is now strictly GF too and feels much better. I didn't show the dramatic improvment that he did, but I'm better than I was, particularly with the brain fog. I've decided to keep it up for a minimum of 6 months because it takes time for the intestinal villi to heal and until it does, vitamin/mineral absorption isn't what it should be and you won't feel as good as you potenially could.

In the process of all my dietary experimentation, I also found out that dairy has been causing my sinus headaches. I'm so happy because all I have to do is avoid dairy and I'm rid of those tooth-aching, brain-numbing headaches!

That part of the diet I cheat on sometimes, because the dairy seems to have an accumulative effect, so if I have just a little, it isn't too bad. I'm still off sugar and caffeine and I drink very little alcohol (I'll have a glass or two of organic wine - no added sulfites - every week).
  11. zerped

zerped New Member

Before I came down with my CFIDS/ME, I worked with a guy who had celiac disease. It was so depressing to watch him eat his "weird" lunches, and have to pass on all the goodies over the holidays. I may one day find out whether or not I fit into that category, but all I've been able to do is cut out almost all wheat (which is a REALLY big deal for me!).

I love bread and pasta and wheat cereals, cakes, cookies, pies, cobbler, you-name-it, and I get by on two small butter cookies a day. Once a week I still have a pizza fix, but I found out watching "C.S.I." that pizza flour has almost no gluten in it (props to both pizza and "C.S.I.")!

Most of this is from an effort I am calling "The Mazatlan Project," wherein I try to duplicate as many conditions as possible that I encountered in my three long visits there as I was beginning to learn about this disease stuff. I found it was really easy to eat really healthy (and cheap!). Except for a flour tortilla quesadilla once during the week, I was wheat-free without even trying (lots of corn tortillas but no flour). My craving for sweets went WAY down, so it wasn't too big a chore.

As others have said, the main benefit for me has been in the digestive area. No more fire-in-the-gut burning, gas, other unpleasantness, etc. A bit more energy perhaps, and a bit less mind-fog, but digesting the food I do eat is more of a priority now than it was ten-or even two-years ago.

12. kbak

kbak Member

xchocoholic,
    I'm pretty good about staying gluten free. As far as avoiding dairy, no, I do dairy. I think it would be so hard not to do dairy, unless you had allergies to that too.

I really haven't found it hard to do the diet, but I've done a really good diet for a long time so making a few sacrifices hasn't been difficult for me. Someone going to this diet cold turkey might be a challenge.

I posted this gluten free list in another poat, but I'll post it here too.

http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_grains.php

This is very helpful to eat gluten free. For those that don't know, there is a gluten free product line called Pamala's. I use the gluten free baking mix and bread mix, plus they have the best peanut butter cookies your ever eaten. Most good health food stores carry the Pamal's line of products, which make it much easier to cook and bake. Food for Life, is another product line that has gluten free. I use their breads.

K.
  13. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Glad to hear from all of you.

Like I said in the beginning of this post, I have been disabled with CFIDS and Fibro for 16 years now and had given up hope of ever finding any relief. And I am wondering how many of you are in the same situation....

I started this diet out of desperation. My stomach has been hurting 24/7 for the past 3 years. Just normal IBS up until then. I would have to go on a liquid diet for days or the BRAT diet everytime my stomach cramps would get severe.

Finally, my GP put me on the food allergy / sensitivity diet in July 2005 and I stopped eating gluten in September when I read about Celiac. The NIH has a good explanation of it on their digestive diseases website.

I am amazed at the difference in my life since watching what I eat for allergy / sensitivity responses as opposed to just staying on a healthy diet.

I'd love to hear your stories. Thanks Marcia
  14. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am very interrested in all of this...I started a candida diet back in Dec. I am feeling a little better..but..I still have something going on that is not right..

I don't really want to have the coloscopy(sp) done..I was hoping to try somethings on my own first...

I am taking a probiotic..that has helped..but I am still senitive to something..If I have bread from subway..or certain soups..or other buns..But..I can eat wheat pitas and be fine..When I eat these things..I itch all over for a few days..and my stomach bloats..gets gassy..It just is not right.

If I were to try this..where do I start??

Plus if I am already watching for candida.. and then I start to watch the wheat thing..what do I eat?? It doesn't leave much.

I just switched to mostly all wheat..Not that I eat much of it..but my kids do..and I have oatmeal everyday for breakfast..

Any input would be great...

Thanks..SherylD
  15. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Bumping-trying to find out more....
  16. mars_xmu

mars_xmu New Member

My nutritionalist told me that wheat products are not very good on the gut, as wheat products are very difficult to digest and can hinder tha absorbtion of nutrients. She recommends buckwheat and spelt breads, as they are easy for the body to digest and agree with most blood groups.
  17. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi Folks,

I've been on this diet 8 months now and I wanted to check with others to see if you had noticed similiar reactions to going on gluten free / food allergy free diets.

I cheated big time last Sunday and ate wheat bread. Never again. But, I did learn some things.

I am having those annoying adrenaline bursts again. You know the ones where your whole body thinks it is doing aroebics one minute and completely crashing the next. AAAHHHH !!! My brain is doing this too.

I had serious brain fog again for 2 days. I now know the difference between brain fog and cognitive / memory problems. Before going gluten free, I had no idea that they were different.

I had my first really bad headache in months yesterday.

And of course, my IBS came back. First "C", now "D", gas and bloating. And more gas.

Has anyone else noticed these types of changes ?

I've had this illness so long it's hard for me to believe that anything I do can make a difference in the long run. But then again, I have never tried this before.

Thanks for your replies ... Hugs .. Marcia