Has anyone lost weight on antidepressants?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diricha, Oct 10, 2002.

1. diricha

diricha New Member

I've just switched from Prozac to Effexor about a month ago. I've lost 5 lbs. in the last two weeks. My appetite has greatly diminished. I'm 25 lbs. overweight so I'm happy about this side effect. I also lost weight the first year I was on Prozac. I lost about 40 lbs. Then I just stopped losing weight. I've been at the same weight for about a year. Maybe now I'll get this last 20 lbs. off.

Even better than the weight loss, Effexor has improved my depression!!
  2. diricha

diricha New Member

I've just switched from Prozac to Effexor about a month ago. I've lost 5 lbs. in the last two weeks. My appetite has greatly diminished. I'm 25 lbs. overweight so I'm happy about this side effect. I also lost weight the first year I was on Prozac. I lost about 40 lbs. Then I just stopped losing weight. I've been at the same weight for about a year. Maybe now I'll get this last 20 lbs. off.

Even better than the weight loss, Effexor has improved my depression!!
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I am now taking wellbutrin to quit smoking but it also decreases my appetite so I lose weight on it.
  4. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

Im on Effexor and I have took prozac as well. The effexor I lost 10 pounds from.. I do find that I sweat alot on this medication. Which I dont like that at all.. Luckily she said the side effects will go away soon. It has helped me with my depression too.. Not as much as I would hoped for but some. I tend to find myself zoning on the medication. Possibly a side effect too..

5. LauraA

LauraA New Member

I was on Paxil for about 4 yrs and gained 50-60lbs. Then I switched to Serzone and lost 30lbs within 2mths (i didnt change anything else - it just fell off). It was great!! Now i'm on a combo of antidepressants to control my depression. We started Effexor and was weaning off of Serzone and then we got to a dosage and i started feeling worse (depression increased) so we went back up to the previous dosage of Serzone and stopped there. My doc said some people need a combo of antidepressants to control their depression. Effexor is great!! My weight hasnt changed much but it really works wonders for depression. Its suppose to help with energy too. I dont know about that, im always tired.
  6. leann_sweeney

leann_sweeney New Member

Lost 20 pounds since I started taking Celexa and, like you, the first 5 were almost immediate. I have not changed my eating habits, which reinforces to me that this is a neurotransmitter based disorder.
  7. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I have taken so many different antidepressants over the years..Yes, I have come across some that I did loose weight on and others that I gained while taking them..I guess it depends on the individual..
    Take Care..........Donna
  8. lucky

lucky New Member

If anybody was so lucky to lose weight on any of the newer antidepressant drugs, they should consider themselves very lucky.
    The question is, how to ged rid of all these extra pounds which we mostly have not put on because we are eating McDonald's all day long? My doc just told me on my last visit that there will be medications out soon which will be a lot better suited without the weight gain. Remeron seems to be a new drug which is supposed to help very much for our fatigue and corresponding depression. However, I am just not willing to pile on more pounds at this moment. Has anybody tried Remeron? Kind Regards, Lucky
  9. herblady

herblady New Member

lost weight? i wish! hahahahahahahah.....cindi
  10. sean

sean New Member

Yes I lost a lot of weight while on effexor, I don't know whether it was because of the anxiety the drug caused me, but it has been noted for it's effect on weight loss.
  11. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

Well, I go to the doctors on Monday, been on this Neurontin for nearly 8 weeks, gained nearly 20 lbs... on top of being overweight already... Ugh!!!! I am going in with the knowledge that I am sleeping much better, but... still needing the Tramadol, feelings of depression, and confusion... You are really fortunate to say you are losing weight.. I am praying I can soon say that.. Smiles and hugs ...Barb
  12. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

Well, I go to the doctors on Monday, been on this Neurontin for nearly 8 weeks, gained nearly 20 lbs... on top of being overweight already... Ugh!!!! I am going in with the knowledge that I am sleeping much better, but... still needing the Tramadol, feelings of depression, and confusion... You are really fortunate to say you are losing weight.. I am praying I can soon say that.. Smiles and hugs ...Barb
  13. stormy

stormy Guest

that asked about remeron. I was on effexor, and it triggered an anorexic episode in me...I was previously anorexic. Effexor was a great weight loser. Remeron, on the other hand, while it helps with the depression (and it really helps w/sleep if taken at night), for me, anyway, was a MAJOR weight gainer...60 lbs!!!! And its not by pigging. Be warned! But it doesn't work the same for everyone. Now I'm looking to either get off, find something natural (hasn't ever worked before though), or find a different AD that isn't so weight gaining.
    Take care
    stormy
  14. kathyrere

kathyrere New Member

i also gained 40 lbs. on Remeron. and i had never had weight problems before so this depressed me even more. i got off it and lost 25lbs right away.

kathyre
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  15. herblady

herblady New Member

my husband lost 20 lb. on effexor. i didn't lose a single one. cindi