Has anyone lowered their b/p thru supplements, foods, etc.?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Granniluvsu, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

with supplements and foods ??

Gee, I hae really been out to lunch lately:) . I have belonged to PH for sometime now and I just noticed (was told first) that PH had an alternative therapy board. How long has it been up there? I am afraid to ask !! GEE WHIZ !!

I have been on hi b/p meds for sometime now (25 years or so- since I started with these DD's) . I am now on Diovan (the highest dosage), lisinipril and verapamil. I am not only constantly going to the bathroom but I would like to be able to get off at least some of the meds. Not sure I will be able to eliminate them all considering how much I am taking now. I think it is caused alot by the pain as well as genetics. My dad had pretty hi b/p which also liked to spike as mine does now.

Looking for any ideas or suggestions I may be able to try on my own as well as ask the doc about when I go to see her soon for a meds. renewal or change.

I already posted to chit chat and CFS boards I think. Got some ideas but thought I would like to also throw this out to all you knowlegeable people out there.

Just wondering if any of the b/p and heart supps .I have seen on line , or any of you have taken would help any and really bring the numjers down. I had heard about eating celery before but somehow can't get myself to eat 4 stalks a day if I remember to eat them. I do like them but need something added to them to help me eat 4 :) !!

I know bananas are good but are so consitpating. I have that problem even not eating them -groan !! DH doesn't particullary love them and it seems that they ripen so quickly, even if I buy them green.

Look forwards to any suggestions from you all.

Blessings and hugs to all,
    Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2010]
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

that my meds seems to be working great but surely would like to decrease the meds some if possible esp. the diuretics. Will try uping the GSE and will talk to the doc about possibloy trying to decrease the diuretics.

Oh., I know that I probably cannot get off all the meds for sure. I used to be a RN and I know how devistating that can be. I know someone that was always concerned about the cost of meds and everything else. More than likely he skipped a few dosages and ended up witha stroke.

Maybe, if all the pain went away I would be able to get off the heavy duty meds. Oh well, it would be nice to dream wouldn't it ?

Thanks Jam !

Granni
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I keep forgetting to ask you if you have or have ever had hi B/P.? Or are you just trying to prevent it? If you have ever had it , how hi was it at times ?

Hope you and all are having a nice Sunday !
    Granni
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

stuff as you already know. I get it at Sams and they do not have that high a dosage but the 100 and 150mg is pretty expensive as you know.

However, thanks for the info maybe I can atry taking two of the tabes I have and up it a bit again to see.

Hugs,
    Granni
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Can you get it on line??? It seems that you can't . Where do you get yours and what are the prices?

I have checked Natures Way on line and seem to come up with other products of theirs.

Also, what does it contain and the amounts unless it is to many to list? I know the main or one of the main ingredients is the Hawthorn Berry ext.. I am checking out different b/p supps and combinations to try and get the best combo and cost.

Need to know prices too to know if I can or should pursue this furture..

Thanks a lot,
    Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2010]
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Will see if I can find it from Vitacost on line. Just curious what your b/p is now. I justg got a Swanson catalog but not sure if they had it. I will have to look again !

More later, I have to run.

Granni
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

and finally found Heart Care or Hawthorn Extract. It is 120 tabs for 9.64. That surely is cheap !

Have you tried any of their other b/p- support and heart care items? I also found (NSI) Standardized Hawthorn Ext) iwith 1000 mg of Hawthorn Ext. for $19.00 for 240 caps

Gotta go now.

Grnni
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Just wanted to see if you saw my reply.

Thanks again !

Granni
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

and am anxious to see if it wiill help. How many do you take a day.? I am now taking 2 a day and how long did you stay on the same dosage before changing?

Thought the Hyzaar that I used to be on was going generic according to the doc. I called Caremark and they said in a month or so. I tis the OR so I do not like. It is is was to expensive regularly,even with the phamrm insurance. So, she is also going to give me something else in its place (samples) to see if they work. If so I will take it again when it goes generic. Am trying to get off some of my diuretics as all I do is go to the bathroom it seems- not good.

Hope this Heart Care helped me as it helped you. I am on so many drugs for b/p that any help is muchly appreciated.

Of course my b/p was great before going to the doc and when I went it was hi and freaked her out. I keep telling her it does that ! Also, I was a nurse and not afraid of docs, nurses, or any procedures !! Good Grief ! What a pain !

Thanks !

Granni

10. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Magnesium if you tolerate it can be helpful.

Potassium is very important for maintaining low BP. -- Fruits & veg are best sources. Three cups of raw veg per day (may be cooked after measuring) is recommended. BUT if you are on a BP med that causes you to conserve K+, ck with your doc -- many diuretics (not all) deplete K+.

Celery is very helpful; raw if you enjoy it that way or steamed/stir-fried. I find that 3 c. of sliced celery, with a little onion & mushroom, stir-fried is very delicious, & works like a diuretic for me.

I also use Jarrow Pressure Optimizer supp, which contains a patented milk peptide that works like a mild ACE inhibitor. Last professional BP reading I had was 114/70, which is pretty good considering I'd had a number of readings in past in the 150 -160/90+ range.

However my BP problems are not as severe as what some people suffer.

Many people who suffer white coat syndrome --even though not afraid of docs, the BP spikes -- will take in their daily home measurements to reassure the doc. Doc may want to calibrate your machine (if you do automated not manual) against the office readings.

I often find that in the med office you are hurried through weighing & measuring & taking shoes off & putting them back on & then expected to talk to the nurse while she's pumping up the BP cuff. I've found that insisting on 5 min. of "rest" after the inital stuff & not talking for a minute before & during the reading, does take the numbers down.

Best wishes.<br><br>[This Message was Edited on 04/01/2010]
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Thanks Jam and Snooze for your tips. I already knew about celery and have been taking extra potassium. I have the same problem as you Jam. That is part of the reason why I do not buy them often anymore. DH does not particularly like them and I was throwing more away when they started to ripen (all at once, of course) !!

I also upped my grapeseed and CoQ10 but wish I could find it cheaper (C0Q10). Sams' price is pretty good considering. However, they do not always have the dosage I want.

Wondering if the Heart Care will help my respirations at all. Lately it has been in the 90's and low 100's. I am now taking two a day, morning and night.

Thanks again guys !

Granni
  12. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

for those of us that can't exercise, should..and those of us, that are overweight, should lose weight, now how do we do that when we can't exercise? I hurt when I try to exercise. So...
    I am taking Lotrel. Wish I could find something else also that would get my BP down. I didn't used to have high BP, this started only about 7 years ago. Age related? I don't think that I am that over weight, but I really can't move like I used to...pain!
    So potassium is supposed to help? I love bananas, but also have the same problem, but eat them once in a while anyway.
    I'm enjoying being on here and seeing what works for who. I'm willing to try things, but afraid at the same time, as if I do stop taking the med., to try the supplement, I will be in trouble. I've had two heart ablations, so I have to be careful with what I take/change. I know potassium is good for the heart. :p
    I will continue to look at posts, thanks for all the suggestions here...
    Cynthia
  13. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Your medication, Lotrel, is one that causes the body to conserve potassium. DO NOT increase your potassium consumption without medical supervision. Consuming extra potassium while on meds like Lotrel can cause high potassium levels in the body, which can be deadly.

The advice to get extra potassium is great for people not on BP meds, and also for those on BP meds that cause potassium to be dumped. But there are a few BP meds, like Lotrel, that have the opposite effect.

Best wishes.
  14. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Thanks for the info SnooZQ! I hope just eating a banana or two a few times a week is ok?
    That's all I've done. Back in the day, before Lotrel, I took potassium supplements because of my heart. Well, I will have to look into this, I do like a banana once in a while or two.
    Thanks again!
    Cynthia
  15. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I'd ck with my doc.

Personally I'm not too worried about you eating a few bananas a week, but K+ supps with Lotrel probably isn't a good idea. Your med insert on the Lotrel should give you some idea of what's OK & what is not.

Best wishes.