Has anyone read Chronic Fatigue, FM & Environmental Illness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by auntyemnga, Feb 24, 2006.

1. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Has anyone read Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia & Environmental Illness by Burton Goldberg?

If so, what are your thoughts?

Auntyem
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2006]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm sure if someone has read it they will reply though. Or maybe change title and put author's name in????

love
    Rosie
  3. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Aunty,
    I have read and own a newer version of this book, entitled "Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, and Lyme Disease", by Burton Goldberg.

I thought it was an excellent book. As I read through the first few chapters I started to realize that there were many underlying issues that needed to be identified and addressed.

I really liked that it included the comments and experiences of a number of different doctors and what approaches they took. I even thought about contacted some of these doctors for treatment.

I use many alternative approaches to health, so I found those sections very good, too.

I read the chapter on Lyme Disease, and told myself: interesting, but that doesn't apply to ME.

It was some time after reading and processing this book, and after breast cancer and treatment, that I came to the realization that I needed to find a center or doctor that had the whole package going on. Just like I chose a breast center specializing in breast cancer and care using an integrated approach (western and complementary), that's what I needed to get to the bottom of my CFIDS/FM illness.

Long story short, found the FFC on this site, and finally got to the bottom of my illness. In fact, it is LYME Disease.

How about you? What did you think of this book? I highly recommend it.

Take care,
    Hopeful4

[This Message was Edited on 02/25/2006]
  4. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

5. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Hopeful4,

They are 2 different books. Burton Goldberg has written or co-written over 20 books regarding alternative medicine.

I also thought my book that covers environmental illness was excellent. He had input from 26 doctors. I had bought it back in 2001 and truly believed mercury toxicity was my problem. I checked with 2 local dentists about replacing my fillings and they both said there wasn't anything to connect fillings with mercury toxicity. At that point I gave up.

It wasn't until last August when my PCP told me that her and my oncologist had no idea what was causing my fatigue that I decided I needed to take matters into my own hands.

That's when I started searching the internet and found the Atlanta FFC. I was so gung ho that I thought I had found the answers to my prayers.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. I think you and I have chatted before because I am also a breast cancer survivor (twice) and had a scare in December due to the hormones that the FFC put me on. The hormones also made my fatigue worse.

I don't knock the FFC as I know they have helped quite a few people but I just think my medical history is too complex. I did ask the FFC to have my chart reviewed as I thought Dr. B should not have prescribed bio-identical estrogen in my case. It's been about 6 weeks and I haven't heard a word from them.

Anyway, when I saw my PCP in December to tell her that I was going to the FFC she told me about a doctor in the practice who uses bio-resonance testing. I saw him on Jan 9th. His testing revealed I had mercury toxicity! I felt I had finally been validated. The blood work at FFC showed my levels were ok.

Anyway, he has me on a chelation treatment. He needs to get my body ready so I can have my fillings replaced. I've already located a dentist that specializes in mercury removal.

My book talks about detox baths. There's a post that was started by Skierchik that I posted the detox baths to.

I also like how the book was written with the quick definitions on the side.

I'm glad you were able to finally have someone determine your problem was Lyme's and you're getting the treatment needed.

Take care,
    Auntyem
  6. Daisys

Daisys Member

I haven't read any books by this author, but because of this thread I went to my library and put several of his books on hold. I'll be able to give you an opinion soon because the books are on their way already. If this thread gets lost, I'll just post a new one, ok?
  7. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

I think you'll enjoy them. In order to find this thread, you can click on 'View My Profile' up at the top right of the page. After your bio, it will bring up all of your posts.

If you can't find it, go ahead and start a new one.

Happy Reading,
    Auntyem
  8. Daisys

Daisys Member

Thanks for the info, I am new here and just learning my way around. ~Daisys
  9. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

I almost didn't post the info because I didn't take the time to see if you were new.

I'm glad I was able to help. Last night I ordered Detoxify or Die because my library didn't have it. It has been talked about on another thread started by Skierchik.

I wish I could remember the title but you can search for her under author if you're interested.

Auntyem