Has Anyone Read "The Fibromyalgia Cure"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Musica, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Musica

Musica New Member

By Dr. David Dryland. I certainly hope he isn't really saying there is a CURE, just that you can feel better, hopefully for a long time or forever. Has anyone read it?
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Has it just come out? I didn't find it in my library catalog.
    Ty for mentioning it though. Hope it has some good info.
  3. ksc

ksc New Member

I have been going to Dr. Dryland for over2 years. He has done wonders for me. His book is really helpful and I have bought 6 copies to give to other people. He also has a web site. He use to have fibro and has cured some of his patients.He has used medications and also life style changes. Read the book- It makes you stop and look at your life, your stress and how you are living.
    kathy
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There have been many, especially those in the early stages of active FMS, who have been able to achieve remission. Some have done this several times with relapses in between. Even those who are in remission need to be careful.

I'm always a bit skeptical when the "C" word is used. That doesn't mean I don't think this doc may have some good advice and is helping his patients. I just don't think the use of the word, cure, is appropriate. In my family, we have had remissions and relapses over the years.

Our illnesses are likely genetic in nature and never really go away. When we get sick, have sufficient stress, suffer trauma, or are exposed to toxins, we may suffer a relapse. Many of us have done this a number of times until something finally put us over the line into full-blown illness from which we've not been able to recover.

I would read the book because I usually learn something new with each book I have read but I wouldn't expect too much in the way of a cure.

Love, Mikie
  5. ksc

ksc New Member

he doesn't cure everyone. i will probably always have fibro because of my lupus. i have talked to other patients of his who have been totally pain free for over a year. he had it himself and has been free of symptoms for a few years now. i feel that this is more of a life illness, not genetic. you may lean towards the ability to get this illness then other people. type A people seem to get it more then someone who is a kick back type. no one else in my family has it. stress makes it worse. if you look at third world countries- they don't have a lot of the illnesses we get. why? life style? Stress used in a different way? when i can keep my life at a low stress level- i hurt less and can take less meds. i feel that Dr. Dryland has some good insight into this illness and has some good ways of handling- and, yes- getting rid of this illness. I've lived with lupus for 20 yrs and fibro for 10. following what he recomends has changed my life. no- it has given me BACK my life. i now work out at the gym, do 30 mile endurance rides and work. before Dr. Dryland, my pain was so severe i was wondering if i could continue to live with it for another 30-40 yrs. i had one of the worse cases he had seen. on a scale of 1-10, i was a 10. now i am more like a 2. no- he can't cure everyone- but each person he does is a step further along in their life. if only we could all get there.
    kathy
  6. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi Kathy (& others),

I am VERY happy for you that you have had such a dramatic improvement in your FM! It is always a reason for rejoicing when we hear of someone who has had a partial or complete remission. Obviously, Dr. Dryland has helped you trmendously.

I happen to believe that there IS a genetic predisposition to FM. Add stress, an injury, trauma, or other coexisting conditions; and the symptoms of Fibro worsen. Once your body is stressed by this "syndrome" over many years; I believe actual damage is done to one's Central Nervous System and our ability to balance vital hormone levels is affected.Current research is proving this theory.

Does lifestyle contribute to our symptoms? You bet! But only in that we do not have the reserves that "normals" do to handle stress & activity.(From having a compromised Nervous System & skewed hormones) I see it as our lifestyles are not the CAUSE of the FM...but rather our lifestyles need altering in order to lessen the symptoms of our condition. I might be an atypical Fibromite, but I am NOT a Type A person at all. Never have been, never will be! I did not lead an overly stressful life before FM.

Again, I am happy that you have experienced such a great amount of improvement in your health. You are blessed. Could you share with us what exactly were the treatments which brought about such a remission? What worked for you? You mentioned meds & lifestyle changes...What specifically helped you? Thanks!

Blessings & Hugs,
    Annie

[This Message was Edited on 12/29/2005]
  7. ksc

ksc New Member

i take mirapex at night 3-4.5 mg.I am in the process of learning how to make people- espcially stressful people- react differently towards me by how i react to them. this helps them to either change by postive reactions from me or if they don't change and it is a serous situation-dangerous to me- i need to leave. its about making better life decsions for me. learning to react with my higher mind not with my fight or flight reaction. it is about horamones. our dopamine levels become depleted, which causes us to be so sensitive to everything.dopamine regulates our basic functions-tempature,heart rate,blood pressure,fight-or-flight response.Dr. Andrew Holman wrote the forward in Dr. Dryland's book.his book shows you how to findwhat triggers your fibro,which symptoms you can attribute to it, what to tell other people,how to treat your fibro since everyone is a little different.
    got to go- hubby just got home
    kathy
  8. ksc

ksc New Member

i wasn't a type a either. no unusual stress. but now with myadrinalin running higher then normal-i find i have a hard time doing nothing. i'm busy all the time. it spikes the most about9 pm.epson salt baths help and so does the hot tub. going to the gym has been a life saver. it's amazing what a difference exercise makes.mirapex has helped alot. andreducing stressful people and situations. Dr. Dryland has some of his siminars on tape.
    God speed to all
    kathy
  9. Musica

Musica New Member

Thanks for sharing about Dr. Dryland and his book! The reason this first caught my attention is because MY rheumy, Dr. Holman, who has done so much with Mirapex, wrote the Foreward. They must be comrades in arms against the many rheumies who aren't convinced yet about the association between sleep and FMS!

It sounds like there is a lot of good, common sense, daily living material in it.
  10. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

What is Mirapex?
    TIA
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To read here about anyone who has achieved any degree of healing no matter how it was done. There is no one "right answer," as most of us now know. The more things we are willing to research and try, within reason, the better our chances of improving.

I look at it like war. Illnesses are war being waged against us. I fight this war on as many levels as I can. Lifestyle changes can make a huge difference. Therapy is another very good thing we can do to help us fight. I also use Western mainstream medicine and some of the new cutting-edge treatments. These treatments are symbiotic and together, they work better than the sum of the parts.

My FMS symptoms are about 90 percent reversed from the Guai treatment but I do not consider the Guai treatment a cure. I will have to take the Guai for the rest of my life unless a true cure is found. If I injure myself, the FMS pain returns.

As y'all know, I am working on healing my CFIDS and it is much more complex for me. Progress is sloooooow but at least, it's progress.

Research IS pointing to genetic predisposition and I do believe this will ultimately be found to be true and will ultimately lead to a cure. That these illnesses run in families and affect more women than men was an early hint that genetics were involved.

An interesting thought occured to me after watching a PBS show on the Plague. Perhaps we are the "normal" ones and people who do not get sick from repeated assaults on their bodies have developed a genetic mutation to help them survive the cumulative effects of pollution, trauma, infections, and stress.

Used to be survival of the fittest. Now, even the weakest of us survive, thanks to modern medicine. The weakest go on to reproduce and our population has become weaker over time. Perhaps the reason people in the poorest countries don't have our illnesses (and I'm not sure this is true) is because they don't live long enough to get sick from them.

Our illnesses are complex in the variety of symptoms and levels of disability they produce. The cure may turn out to be simple. I hope so. In the meantime, hurray for anyone who finds ways to cope and heal.

Love, Mikie
  12. ksc

ksc New Member

it's a parkinson medication. itmakes our bodies make more dopamine which is depleted by the fibro. it really is a vicous cycle we're in. this helps us to -i guess kind of step a side just enough to begin to recoup. there are side effects at first. youstart at a low dose and slowly work up to a dose that works for you. some days i wondered if it was worth it. but i stuck it out. it is worth it.i still have a bad day when i go over board. I feel off my horse and broke my wrist in 2 places. the stress from the pain and not sleeping well have had their toll. but soon i hope to be back to where i was.
    kathy
  13. ksc

ksc New Member

if you check in the library- Dr. Holman has an artical from oct. about a study he has done on mirapex and the results he has had.
    kathy
  14. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i believe in the dopamine connection to our illnesses. dopamine is the neurotransmitter that helps us "get up and go" everyday and makes us more outgoing. i feel it's the dopamine deficiency that causes so many with cfs and fibro to live like hermits (in addition to the pain and sensitivity of course). does dr. dryland recommend any alternative to mirapex for those who cannot tolerate it but still want to increase their dopamine levels??

eddie
  15. ksc

ksc New Member

requip doesn't have the stomach problems that mirapex does. he has prescribed that for patients who can't handle mirapex.
    kathy
  16. blkkat

blkkat New Member

went on mirapex last year when dr. holman was my dr. but i got real sick on that med. wish it could of helped me! i went to a mind and body class, drug my feet about going but after 10 weeks of the class i can tell you the way i view myself,life, other people.it helps in how i cope and deal with my pain. sorry kinda off track. yes sleep does help in how my next days will be. i'm in pain at a 9-10 on meds.(oxycodone/neurontin) 24/7 i'm 43 now just turned a few mins. ago as it was the 1st sorry tooting my birtday horn no one remembered cry cry ok but as for a cure well that would be great but i've had this as far back i'm sure at 5 years old not as bad but worse every few years. the last 5 years bad and this last year well i'm lucky just to get out of bed,shower and just to sit here, boy i'm about to die! so why am i writing- not sure. but someone asked about mirapex and thought i'd post. it does look like theres some who live in the same area HI! i'm in covington anyone know a support group in this area? i guess i should post that and ask. GOD BLESS& HUGS BLKKAT
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When using drugs which affect the chemicals in the brain. Those with Parkinsons who take drugs to increase, or stop the uptake of, dopamine only get results for a while and then the drugs no longer work. Dr. Cheney has expressed a concern I have had for a long time--that drugs which affect dopamine levels could eventually cause Parkinson's-like symptoms.

I have concerns with taking Klonopin which affects GABA in the brain. Cheney believes this protects the neurotransmitters from premature death from the seizure activity so many of us experience. I hope he is right.

He also believes that SSRI's, and I would assume SNRI's, and stimulants exacerbate the seizure activity and can harm the brain.

Problem is that no one knows for certain what decades and decades on these meds will produce. I've recently heard more and more docs expressing these concerns on TV.

I think it is vital to do as much research as possible when taking meds and not depend on our docs who usually depend on the pharmaceutical reps for their info. We really are between a rock and a hard place. All drugs have side effects and what we have to do is weigh the potential benefits of the drugs with the potential risks.

I simply cannot function without the Klonopin. It allows me to get good quality sleep and it diminishes the anxiety/panic attacks, sensory overload, spasms, and tinnitus. Without it, I would likely be mostly bedridden and feeling very sick, unable to tolerate driving or being in public places. Still, I wish I didn't have to take it.

So often, we have to choose the lesser of two evils. I'm not posting this to scare anyone but rather to emphasize the need for due diligence when taking meds.

Love, Mikie
  18. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

people in other poorer countries do have fm and cfs. it has been documented all around the world - all cultures, classes, races etc..
    I do not think any of it has to do with "evolution". Evolution would take thousands of years anyway.