Has anyone read this book?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GoDaleJr, Aug 20, 2002.

1. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

"Betrayal by the Brain" written by Katie Courmel.
    " a long time sufferer of chronic fatique syndrome and fibromyalgia, presents in layperson's terms the salient points of the book to lead readers to an understanding of Dr. Goldstein's theory and methods of treatment. This guide provides FMS and CFS patients with an understanding of how our brain should function as opposed to how it is now dysfunctioning.."
  2. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

"Betrayal by the Brain" written by Katie Courmel.
    " a long time sufferer of chronic fatique syndrome and fibromyalgia, presents in layperson's terms the salient points of the book to lead readers to an understanding of Dr. Goldstein's theory and methods of treatment. This guide provides FMS and CFS patients with an understanding of how our brain should function as opposed to how it is now dysfunctioning.."
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Am going to Barn's and Nobel tomorrow, will look for the book, it sounds interesting.

Thanks for the tip! I am a big reader, especially when it comes to FM/CFS these days.

Have a goodnight!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. lavenderblue

lavenderblue New Member

Hi Dale,

I've read the above book. It's a companion book to Dr Jay Goldsteins original 'Betrayal by the Brain'. Unless you are very highly qualified in the workings of the brain Dr Goldsteins book is very hard to understand though I managed to pick bits out of it that made sense to me. Katie Courmel wrote her book to try and assist the lay person to understand the original a bit better, though I must admit that I even found that a bit hard going!

Dr Goldsteins book is the only one that I've read that seems to fully understand the nature of the illness that I'm suffering from. He understands the concept of 'abnormal brain gating' and what it's like to suffer from it. No other medic that I've come across has had a clue about this particular symptom or how to treat it. Dr Goldstein has been successful in treating many of his patients with the symptoms he describes, however, from what I can gather nobody has been totally cured. His regime also includes taking a lot of medication. I understand that it's also quite costly to consult him, though the fact that he's based in the west coast of the USA and I'm on the east coast of the U.K is the main barrier to me consulting him!

Few people, in the U.K that is, seem to be aware of his findings and work which is a shame because I think that if it was taken further it would help an enormous amount of sufferers.

Hope this Helps,

Lavenderblue UK

5. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

I have been Blessed to meet, in person, Jay Goldstein. I find him to be one of the nicest, greatest men I have ever met.
    BUT Lord, does he ever go way over ones head! He strives very hard to bring it down to our level. But even with my background--I was somewhat lost. Needed a ton of medical books to just read his stuff. But I have also, never seen anyone work so hard to bring it down to my level--without talking down to me. A quality I greatly admire.

I do agree, he is brilliant!!
    If you want to read some really great stuff; also try Robert Bennett. www.myalgia.com--my favorite researcher!!

You can find many articles by both here on this site--in the library.
    Jackie F