Has anyone stuck with Xenical for very long?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dunnlb, Oct 22, 2005.

1. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I just read that the FDA is considering an OTC version of 60 mg.

I started it (again) at the 120 mg. dose a couple of weeks ago. I have had a couple of weeks off work, don't think I can work and take it.

If you did take it, how much weight did you lose? Did the side effects get better with time?

I wanted to give it a second try since I can't stick with regular dieting.
  2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I was on Xenical for about five months in 2003. I lost 37 pounds during that time, with very little exercising. I watched my fat intake of course. Xenical forces you to eat low-fat, because fatty foods are what makes you spend so much time on the toilet. After a couple of high-fat meals, you learn your lesson real quick!!!

That "side effect" does not wear off. That's the whole point of Xenical - it flushes out the fat. It is simply a tool to "remind" you to eat healthier. When you eat a lot of fat, you will cramp and have diarrhea. When you don't eat fat Xenical has no effect. And of course when you don't eat fat, you lose weight. If you stick to a low fat lifestyle, you can take Xenical with every meal and not have any problems. Xenical will continue to flush out what little fat you do take in on a daily basis, but through normal bowel movements, not the disruptive (and "explosive") way you're probably experiencing now.

Keep in mind that Xenical is not a quick fix. Yes, you can definitely lose a significant amount of weight and lose it quickly. But you can also gain the weight back if you don't make permanent lifestyle changes. I found Xenical very easy and effective when I took it two years ago but I am living proof that if you don't continue to eat right, the weight comes right back. I've now gained 30 pounds of the 37 I lost, and it's my own darn fault! :(

Good luck with the Xenical (if you decide to continue) and let me know if you have any more questions - I'll be glad to help if I can.

Kat

3. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I am going to give it a good try this time.
  4. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Just remember ... there is no "magic pill" to make you lose weight. (But don't we wish there was!) You still have to do the hard part: eat right and exercise if you're able.

Like I said, Xenical was simply a behavior modification tool for me. When I ate high fat meals, I paid dearly. When I ate correctly, Xenical had virtually no effect. And after having had a few "accidents" (yes, literally!) after eating poorly, I learned the hard way it was not worth it to eat fried foods or anything rich or high in fat. The Xenical didn't melt the pounds off, the LOW-FAT eating did! Well duh. It's amazing that it took an expensive prescription medication for me to get that through my thick head!

Oh yeah, and it took me about 5 weeks to see ANY results at all, weight-wise. Don't give up!! Just when you think you're never going to see the scale move, it will start going down. Once I started seeing results on the scale, I lost quickly. But I did feel a difference in my clothes by the second week, which was great. I went from a tight size 16 to a comfortable size 12 in 5 months.

Good luck!

Kat

5. rmc20021

rmc20021 New Member

I started taking it to lose weight, but at the same time I had diverticulitis which caused me severe pain. I didn't have much weight loss because I continued eating fatty foods (yes, even with the conseqences), but it did help with the diverticulitis...no more pain at all ever since I used it...