Has anyone taken a MAOI and

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilaclover30, May 22, 2005.

1. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

gotten into trouble?

I will always believe that is what triggered the FMS for me. I had problems for 10 yrs. prior to taking it but no one knew what it was. I couidn't take all the popular anti-de.

I was in a clinic and theuy overdosed me on Ativan and I have no member of that time of the next 3 weeks.

Then to another clinic. Dr. started me on Nardil and went higher and higher with dosage. Also had me on Klonopin. When at home he decreased the Klonopin, then I fell apart - lightheaded and fell often, finally coudln't walk and lastly, could not think of words at all!

Was told to get off immediately with no withdrawal. When withdrawal time was over, vision, hearing, fell apart, Finally pain began and it has never stopped. But even then it it took over a yr. for Dr. to finally say FMS.

Has anyone taken this dangerous, dangerous med? You can die from it if wrong food is eaten

2. zachsuncle

zachsuncle New Member

Stopped Nardil abruptly after 3 years. Within one month I suffered a devastating sudden onset of CFIDS. I'm sure I meet the diagnostic criteria for Fibro, too, but I've never been checked for that specifically (pressure points, etc).

In sporadic moments of coherence and mitigated pain, I've been trying to chase down the specifics of the profound physiological short-circuit that's left me -- and apparently, you -- cognitively and physically disabled. Best leads so far are in the April 2006 issue of Pharmacogenomics, in which a dozen or so research papers based on extensive data from a CDC study of fatigue in Wichita are presented.

Most intriguing lead therein is that empirical/clinical testing and comparative analysis of over 15,000 genes in each of approximately 111 women with pronounced fatigue and carefully selected/matched "control" group members revealed that about a dozen specific genetic markers were statistically significant in drawing a sharp distinction between those with some form of CFIDS versus the control group, and that further analysis of these individuals showed either four or five (depending on whether you wish to split one group in to two sub-groups) statistically-significant, separate and distinguishable "classes" of persons with chronic fatigue.

Now here's the part of particular interest to each of us:

Whether the researchers used the 4 classes or 5 classes "solution" to the statistical-analysis task of identifying whether there are discrete subgroups among the chronically-fatigued, how many there are and what distinguishes them...

There was ONE and ONLY one gene common to each of these classes and statistically significant within the class across the board and...

that gene (labeled SLC1A6) is what is called a "high affinity ASPARTATE/glutamate transporter". That's its function. And, if you'll recall your days on Nardil, that med (phenelzine) made each of us a Phenylketonuric -- as in the warning on anything sweetened with Aspartame, the key ingredient of which is... ASPARTATE.

What's it all mean? I don't know. I'm not a medical professional. But remember: You heard it here first. If my theory that sudden cessation of phenelzine therapy can, in part, provoke CFIDS thru mutation or alteration of this particular gene, I want some credit for identifying this connection. :p

I would welcome correspondence from you or anyone else with interest in this area. A cure would be particularly welcome. Those interested can reach me online by placing michaelspencer1nj in front of an "at" symbol and hotm ail dot com. Note that the character between my surname and the initials for new jersey is the numeral 1, and not the letter "l".

lilacover, ... I feel for you. It looks like we've been living thru the same package of horrors. I'm sending you the most sincere e-hug technology allows. I know how awful this has been.

Michael

ps -- Reviewing your anti-d experience, it's pretty clear that the particular form of depression you've experienced is diagnosed as "Atypical Depression", in case no one's ever provided you with a label for your condition. I'm not a doc, but if you are being assessed or treated, it would be in your interest to mention this possibility. It fits with your med response pattern, and -- for what this may be worth -- it's also my Dx. It appears we track quite closely.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/21/2006]
  3. zachsuncle

zachsuncle New Member

4. spmary

spmary New Member

Thanks, but what is a MAOI? I haven't had the drug you mentioned but wonder what I have had! LOL. spmary