Has anyone taken Lexapro and Wellbutrin together?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BEARANDBUGSMOM, Aug 25, 2006.

1. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

Went to see my doctor yesterday and I am already taking Lexapro and she said to add Wellbutrin to it. Just wanted to see if anyone else has taken these together and how did they do.

Thanks and Blessings all!
    Kelly
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

I take Lexapro but I would not take Wellbutrin with it.

Please be very careful and talk to your pharmacist about this but there is a risk for seizures with this combination.

I checked with Med Scapes Multi-Drug Interaction Checker and here is the interaction it came up with. One thing is for sure physicians are not pharmacists.

Patient Regimen

WELLBUTRIN ORAL
    LEXAPRO ORAL

Interactions

Moderate Interaction
    BUPROPION/ANTIDEPRESSANTS

Wellbutrin Oral and Lexapro Oral may interact based on the potential interaction between BUPROPION and ANTIDEPRESSANTS.

Bupropion/Antidepressants

This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice.

Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.

MONOGRAPH TITLE: Bupropion/Antidepressants

SEVERITY LEVEL: 3-Moderate Interaction: Assess the risk to the patient and take action as needed.

MECHANISM OF ACTION: Both bupropion and antidepressants are known to lower the seizure threshold.

(1) Bupropion may inhibit the metabolism of desipramine by CYP P-450-2D6.(1)

CLINICAL EFFECTS: Concurrent use of bupropion and an antidepressant may result in additive effects on the seizure threshold, increasing the risk of seizures.

(1) Concurrent use may increase levels of and side effects from desipramine.(1)

PREDISPOSING FACTORS: The risk of seizures may be increased in patients with a history of head trauma or prior seizure; CNS tumor; severe hepatic cirrhosis; excessive use of alcohol or sedatives;

addiction to opiates, cocaine, or stimulants; use of over-the-counter stimulants an anorectics; a total daily dose of bupropion greater than 450 mg or single doses greater than 150 mg;

rapid escalation of bupropion dosage; diabetics treated with oral hypoglycemics or insulin; or with concomitant medications known to lower seizure threshold (antipsychotics, theophylline, systemic steroids). (1)

PATIENT MANAGEMENT: The concurrent use of bupropion and antidepressants should be undertaken only with extreme caution and with low initial bupropion dosing and small gradual dosage increases.(1)

DISCUSSION: Because of the risk of seizure from concurrent bupropion and other agents that lower seizure threshold, the manufacturer of bupropion states that the concurrent use of bupropion and antidepressants should be undertaken only with extreme caution and with low initial bupropion dosing and small gradual dosage increases.(1)

In a study in 15 male subjects were extensive metabolizers of CYP P-450-2D6, bupropion (150 mg twice daily) increased the maximum concentration (Cmax), area-under-curve (AUC), and half-life (T1/2) of a single dose of desipramine (50 mg) by 2-fold, 5-fold, and 2-fold, respectively.(1)

REFERENCE:

1.Wellbutrin (bupropion hydrochloride) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline June, 2006.

I hope this helps a little,

Karen :)

3. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

I had looked up some info too but hadn't seen that, I will talk to the pharmacist today!

Thanks again!
    Blessings,
    Kelly
  4. ll1816

ll1816 Member

Hi Kelly:

I've been on Lexapro for almost 2 months and my doctor just added Wellbutrin XL to be regime. Today is the 5th day I've been on the Wellbutrin and I'm feeling so much happier today and so much less fatigued. I'm not seizure prone, but do have RLS. I asked my doctor about it and he said RLS wouldn't put me at risk for seizures.

This is only my experience, but my doctor said they work well together as the Lexapro works on Serotonin and the Wellbutrin on Nor-ephenephrine and Dopamine.

I also asked my son's psychiatrist and she said the same thing.

Double check with your doctor and pharmacist with all of the other meds you take to be sure there isn't any interaction risk.

Take care and hugs,
    Liz
  5. gracepartaker

gracepartaker New Member

and I do know that lexepro and wellbutrin are a common combination. lexepro is an SSRI and wellburtrin is a dopaime aganist.

I would add slowly and watch for side effects. and consult your doctor if you notice anything.
    hope that help[s.